Upgraded account and now being throttled

magenta2454781

I have the Nexus 5X so I've been using the prepaid $30 plan. I've never went over the data as it was sufficient for me at the time. However, this past month I haven't had reliable WiFi where I'm located so I've become dependent on T-mobile 4G LTE at the moment.

After going over my allotted 5 GB, I called customer service to upgrade my account to $75 Unlimited everything right away. However, after the upgrade my connection is way slower than the ~20 Mbps I was getting on my previous plan and the Hotspot has been throttled all the way down to 500 Kbps from ~15 Mbps.

My Data totals reset after upgraded so why am I being throttled? What is the point of paying $75 Unlimited everything when I being throttled off the bat?

All replies

• magenta2454781

After snooping around, I've figured it out and will be switching to AT&T. They don't throttle hotspot use until 10GB, which is more than enough for me in their unlimited plan. I should've researched a bit more before upgrading my account with T-Mobile.

• j.a.r.v.i.s

Sorry to see you go magenta2454781 - T-Mobile One for $70 includes tethering, but it's not full LTE speed.   For +$10 for One Plus gets you 10GB before throttling...or if you go with One Plus International, hotspot is unlimited...after 32GB, then you might get throttled if there is congestion...

How much for AT&T?  Is it comparable to $80?

• artart

Re: Upgraded account and now being throttled

Hi j.a.r.v.i.s

Your question got me to thinking.

How can At&T possibly have a lower rate than T-Mobile

for any plan with the exact same or better features?

The minute AT&T were to even announce the availability

of such a plan. John Legere  would be putting out a press

release that T-Mobile was offering a lower cost plan.

So I did some snooping "around".myself.

Actually I simply called up an AT&T store to see if there was

an unadvertised plan magenta2454781 might have discovered.

I asked:

"Do you offer a prepaid plan with 10GB  of high speed data tethering?"

I was told the only prepaid plan which offered tethering was the $45

plan for 6 GB. Handset data & tethered data are combined with a 6GB cap.

(The OP's former prepaid T-Mobile $30 plan had a 5GB tethering allowance.)

I asked if there was a 10GB High Speed tethering option with a post paid plan.

There is a post paid unlimited data plan with 10GB  of tethering for $95 + taxes.

The OP never really asked a question. After his initial post, he did return an

hour later and made a statement. He then claimed that his statement was a

correct "answer".

It leaves an unsupported statement marked as "a correct answer" .

I hope the original poster does answer your question so that he might

verify that his statement was indeed correct.

Frankly, I believe your reply is the correct answer, and the OP would really

benefit by giving the T-Mo plan a try. He would save himself $180 per year.

Art

• artart

Re: Upgraded account and now being throttled

Hi magenta2454781

Welcome to the forum.

We usually can help each other by addressing each others concerns. That is why it is called a community support forum. We do want to offer you any support we can. I can  understand you being upset. After paying 2 and a half times more for a new T-Mo plan than you had previously been paying, you had experienced slower speeds than you were expecting.

It seems that your original prepaid plan might have been a better plan speed wise. As j.a.r.v.i.s pointed out on your new plan, tethering speed is only 3G. I haven't been able to find any 5GB options (your old plan) on the current list of prepaid offerings. I suspect you might have inadvertently given up a valuable grandfathered plan that is no longer being offered.

j.a.r.v.i.s had an excellent suggestion about switching to the One Plus plan. I assume that you qualify credit wise for a post paid plan since you were anticipating switching to an AT&T post paid plan of some sort. The fact is T-Mobile will likely be willing to extend you credit based upon your loyalty and past on time payment history. I would encourage you to give the One plus plan a try.

Art

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • magenta3410434

Throttling has been pathetic these days. Perfect reception right under T-Mobile cell tower and video will not play. 6GB monthly data limit and I only have 1gb used and it still will not play video. Take out SIM card and switch to Verizon and video immediately plays. WTF T-Mobile...? T-Mobile sent me a new SIM card and it is the same S H I T!! Video still will not play

• nelfar212

It's nice to see folks do their research, the

TMO1 Tier I Offers Unl (Talk,Text, and Smartphone Data)  TTAD and Unl Mobile Hotspot/tethering @3g speeds

TMO 1 Tier II  Plus Same deal except 10GB LTE Mobile Hotspot/Tethering speeds reduced to 3g after 10gb

TMO 1 Tier III Plus Int Same as Tier I and II except  the Mobile Hotspot is UNL LTE and after 50GB you may experience slower speeds 'ONLY" on a congested tower. much like when rush hour traffic clears, speed will bump back up after the particular tower congestion clears.

There is no other carrier that can compete with T-Mobiles offerings, Though many swear by Verizions' coverage, they too have dead spots and coverage prone areas. To the OP, my advice when researching plans be sure to familiarize yourself with terms this will help you understand fully what your paying for.

Smartphone data: Data used by your device

Mobile Hotspot/Tethering  Data used via shared devices

Deprioritizing

Tier II is a great option due to binge on. I have a different grandfathered plan an I rarely exceed 14gb of hotspot use. 

• magenta3410434

Mine used to always work fine in the past but now is a different story. Even if one had full 3G speeds the video should play back without being cut off or waiting to load. When I spoke with tre supervisor she said my account had no Restrictions on it for data speeds download. I have a 6GB LTE Data package so there should be no excuse for it not playing a video when I have barely if any data used on my package. Switch SIM cards and switch devices and this issue is not relevant but is only relevant using T-Mobile device. This is messed up and I hope T-Mobile resolves this issue for me. I tried this with a new iPhone 8S Plus, New iPad Pro and a new Google Pixel 2 XL. When swapped to Verizon SIM card all videos immediately downloaded and played back with no interruptions but as soon as I put my T-Mobile card in I could not get them to play. Last but not least it is not the freakin device issue as all my devices are bought up front unlocked!! They have all bands working on them so I do not want to hear any device BS! I travel all over the world and every SIM card I pop in works properly and fast accept for freakin T-Mobile. This is a recent issue though for the last 4-5 months. Previously it worked fine like all other SIM cards I put in my devices