Upgraded and paid doubled

gotheroes

When I bought my iPhone 6s on Feb 2016, I paid $393 + $75 deposit. For 13 months I paid $9.67 a month for 13 months and on March 2017 when I upgraded, I was told to pay the remaining balance (52.52).

I bought my iPhone 6s but they wouldn't let me keep it nor was there a trade in value. I still had to pay a down payment of $125 for my iPhone 7 and my iPhone 6s was taken too.

Tmobile says they are correct but how did I end up without the phone I paid off and if paying $10 a month for jump means I still pay everything and my phone gets taken away, then why have insurance? I keep getting the runaround and I am tired of them treating me like I'm crazy (awesome right?) and not being clear. Even my online documents are from the original purchase are gone. Can someone please help me

All replies

• artart

Re: Upgraded and paid doubled

gotheroes wrote:

When I bought my iPhone 6s on Feb 2016, I paid $393 + $75 deposit. For 13 months I paid $9.67 a month for 13 months and on March 2017 when I upgraded, I was told to pay the remaining balance (52.52).

I bought my iPhone 6s but they wouldn't let me keep it nor was there a trade in value. I still had to pay a down payment of $125 for my iPhone 7 and my iPhone 6s was taken too.

Tmobile says they are correct but how did I end up without the phone I paid off and if paying $10 a month for jump means I still pay everything and my phone gets taken away, then why have insurance? I keep getting the runaround and I am tired of them treating me like I'm crazy (awesome right?) and not being clear. Even my online documents are from the original purchase are gone. Can someone please help me

Hi gotheroes

I am sorry that the T-Mo rep wasn't able to explain sufficiently what happened. This is the way it looks to me.

If you had actually "bought" your phone the monthly payments would have been paid under an Equipment Installment Plan (EIP). The plan payments would have lasted for 24 months. You can read about EIP here

You on the other hand actually leased the phone using a plan called Jump on Demand.

Using the above link under "How It Works", it states:

• Any device leased through JUMP! On Demand is owned by T-Mobile.

The amount you agreed to pay to lease the phone was $393 as a lump sum at the beginning of the lease (rental) period. You were also obligated to pay 18 monthly installments of $9.67. At the end of the 18 month period you would have had the opportunity to purchase the phone from T-Mobile by paying a lump sum $58.02 (6 x $9.67) you would have then owned the phone.

If you had paid for the full term of the lease (18 months) and then purchased the phone for $58.02, you would have ended up paying the same amount that you would have paid if you had bought the phone using the above mentioned EIP terms, The EIP terms were 24 monthly payments.

After 13 months you did pay a lump sum of $52.52 which was the remaining balance you owed on the lease. At that time you could have also paid the above mentioned $58.02, and for a total of $110.54 owned the phone which would possibly then have had a trade in or resale value.

Instead of purchasing your phone you then elected to turn in the phone after satisfying the terms of your lease,

and for $125 began a new 18 month lease on an iPhone 7.

Summary - Where did the money go?

When I add up the beginning and ending lump sum payments, I get $445.52. When I add the 13 monthly payments the total is $571.23. If you had paid the end of the lease purchase price to own the phone, the total would have been $629.25.   The lowest retail price of your phone at launch, depending on configuration, was $650. You used a phone that cost $650 when new for 13 months. You actually paid $571.23 or $43.94 per month to rent the phone. You could have paid an extra $58.02 and owned the phone with no more payments. But of course you wouldn't be enjoying a new state of the art iPhone right now.

I would suggest that you call 611 and ask the rep to fully explain just what plan you now have. That info should also be on your current bill. . If you keep using JOD to upgrade your phones, you will never own any of them. To own a phone you must pay off the lease (18 months) plus pay a lump sum to purchase the phone.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

Art

3 of 3 people found this helpful
        • tmo_mike_c

Hi there gotheroes and thanks for coming to our site.

artart has a great reply to your question. Have you had the chance to look over it? Please let us know if you need more help.

• tmo_marissa

Hiya, gotheroes! I hope you're having a great weekend! We just wanted to check in and see if Art's awesome read on this situation was accurate. How are things going for you? Were you able to check this understanding of what might have taken place here against the account details with one of our support teams? We'd love to hear an update if you have some time! Thanks.

- Marissa

• tmo_amanda

Hey there, gotheroes!

I'm hoping by now that things have been cleared up with the phone payments. If for some reason there is still some confusion, artart laid out a pretty detailed response that may answer your questions. Take a look at it and let us know if it adds up or if you have additional questions.