LG  SOFTWARE UPDATE ISSUES

magenta2426474

I attempted to upload a system update from T-Mobile for my LG-6 as a result my phone locked up into a reboot loop. This also occurred back in April when my LG-4 did a overnight automatic software update and I ended up having to get another phone. Has anyone else had a problem loading phone software updates from T-Mobile for LG phones?

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: LG  SOFTWARE UPDATE ISSUES

Have you tried clearing the cache or a master reset? This isn't unique to t mobile but happens on many phones from all carries sometimes. There are a number of things that can cause this from a corrupted update download or some conflict in applications or data.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey there, magenta2426474! It's been a few days since your post, so we wanted to check in and see how things were going with your G6! I'm sorry to read about the boot looping and your experience with your G4. It looks like after reports of a boot-looping issue with SW update H87210h, we have placed the update on hold, but if this is the version you were updating to and the matter doesn't resolve with a Master Reset, then we will want to complete an exchange for you ASAP. Have you been able to get your G6 back on track?

- Marissa

• magenta2426474

No, I found out instead of shipping a replacement phone overnight as the associate at the store told me a replacement remanufactured phone was being shipped ground shipping. It should be here next week like Wed or Thur. Also since it would be an remanufactured phone I would not be eligible for the additional no cost extended additional 12 month warranty that I found out was being offered by LG. This is pretty sad . A phone I purchased new less than 5 months being replaced by a remanufactured phone with no ability to receive the no cost manufacturers extended warranty . Plus I am still paying for it as a new phone. I would prefer having a new(not remanufactured)  phone since from your email that there appears to be a problem with software update for the LG’s. That way I can take advantage of the LG extended warranty. If you can do anything to resolve this matter I would appreciate it. With the issues with both LG phones having problems encountered from T-Mobile software updates I am becoming gun shy with the LG phones and T-Mobile. My remanufactured phone is being sent to store  number 5602.

Thank You

• tmo_marissa

Hmm, that doesn't sound right! Why were you under the impression that it wouldn't be eligible for the LG G6 Complimentary Second Year Warranty? As long as you registered your original IMEI within 90 days of purchase (for purchases after June 16th, it seems like purchases prior to that date were granted an extension), my information explains that T-Mobile still honors the first year of the warranty with this program and LG would honor any necessary replacements in the second year. Although you're correct that the replacement we provide would have a different IMEI, nothing I have internally states that you would be disqualified from the program because you'd needed a replacement within year one!

- Marissa

• magenta2426474

I just went on line and registered my LG6 that is not working. Below is the answer I received from LG when I heard about the 2nd year warranty and wanted to know how with T-Mobile providing a warranty replacement phone how it would affect the 2nd year warranty . If your saying it wont disqualify my participating in the 2nd year warranty from LG how will they know?

Dear Lance,

Thank you for contacting LG Email Services!

I’d be glad to assist you today with regard to your LG mobile phone.

In response to this inquiry, please be advised that the LG G6 Promise (2-year
                      warranty) is offered to the original purchase device, Lance. This is because
                      the unit will have to be registered using the original purchase receipt and
                      IMIE number. If a refurbished phone is provided by the carrier as a
                      replacement, the IMEI number will also be changed and the LG facility will be
                      unable to have this validated in case the unit may require warranty services
                      under the said 2 year coverage. I hope you understand.

In place of this though, if preferred, you may also use the warranty of the
                      device directly from LG. For this though, please be advised that the unit will
                      have to be sent back to the LG facility located in Fort Worth, Texas for which
                      there will be a turnaround time of approximately 2 weeks from the day you ship
                      the device to the day it is delivered back to you. Due to this timeframe, it is
                      recommended to please have the service temporarily suspended by your carrier so
                      as to not incur any service charges while the phone is with the repair
                      facility. You may also seek assistance from your carrier for temporary/loaner
                      phones should one be needed so that you won't be without a form of communication
                      while the unit is being serviced.

• magenta2426474

I just went on line and registered my LG6 that is not working. Below is the answer I received from LG when I heard about the 2nd year warranty and wanted to know how with T-Mobile providing a warranty replacement phone how it would affect the 2nd year warranty . If your saying it wont disqualify my participating in the 2nd year warranty from LG how will they know?

Dear Lance,

Thank you for contacting LG Email Services!
                  I’d be glad to assist you today with regard to your LG mobile phone.
                  In response to this inquiry, please be advised that the LG G6 Promise (2-year
                  warranty) is offered to the original purchase device, Lance. This is because
                  the unit will have to be registered using the original purchase receipt and
                  IMIE number. If a refurbished phone is provided by the carrier as a
                  replacement, the IMEI number will also be changed and the LG facility will be
                  unable to have this validated in case the unit may require warranty services
                  under the said 2 year coverage. I hope you understand.

In place of this though, if preferred, you may also use the warranty of the
                  device directly from LG. For this though, please be advised that the unit will
                  have to be sent back to the LG facility located in Fort Worth, Texas for which
                  there will be a turnaround time of approximately 2 weeks from the day you ship
                  the device to the day it is delivered back to you. Due to this timeframe, it is
                  recommended to please have the service temporarily suspended by your carrier so
                  as to not incur any service charges while the phone is with the repair
                  facility. You may also seek assistance from your carrier for temporary/loaner
                  phones should one be needed so that you won't be without a form of communication
                  while the unit is being serviced.

• tmo_marissa

Ah, gotcha - so in order to maintain an intact warranty through the first year, you would need to complete any warranty replacements or repairs through LG?
                      I appreciate you posting this! I'm going to forward it to our contact who works with LG content and see what we can do about getting our internal documents updated if necessary; we definitely want this to be clear.
                      I do know that the timeline for the supplemental warranty that we offer is often shorter than the one that the manufacturer themselves is able to provide; to be honest, it's always been my understanding that this is a huge part of the reason that we honor the warranty: we want it to be convenient for our customers. With LG's second year warranty offer on the G6, this is definitely new territory and we don't want any confusion. I will let you know ASAP what I hear back.

- Marissa

• If you replace through T-Mobile you of course void the two-year warranty with LG. However if  you maintain insurance on the phone you are covered for the life of that warranty with the insurance which is to say it is good until you stop paying for it. So whether you have LG fix the original or you have T-Mobile replace it with a refurbished unit in the end you still have a refurbished unit. The difference in this case is for five dollars you get a 2 day turnaround instead of a two week turnaround.

• magenta2426474

That's all good a free 2 year warranty from the mfr. or pay 5 dollars a month to T-Mobile to have insurance on the item. Since I have had this phone since April can I sign up for the protection plan this late in the game if I want it?

• It's too late to sign up. In your case an exchange would cost $20-25 because you don't have insurance. So if you want to keep the LG warranty intact you need to go through LG for the repair. Sometimes T-Mobile sends out offers to sign up for insuranc. Not often.

I would just just use a backup phone and send in to LG. I know they cover shipping back to you but they used to charge for shipping to them.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta2426474!
                            I just heard back from our contact who worked with LG on the internal documents for this. They checked, and confirmed that since we're still honoring the initial warranty, a customer who registered with their original IMEI during the necessary time-frame can absolutely exchange a device with us within the first year and still be eligible for the second year warranty with LG if necessary. The response we received is that this is part of the reason a user is asked for additional information when they sign up for the second year warranty -- to create a profile. If you bump into trouble with the replacement after the initial year has passed, you'd still be able to contact LG and they would be able to pull that profile up. I hope that gives you some confidence moving forward with the replacement phone!

- Marissa

• So how does the user change the IMEI from the original phone to the new phone with LG?

• magenta2426474

That’s good to hear and increases my confidence in LG and T-Mobile. Would you ask your LG contact what the procedure would be in the event I have trouble with my replacement phone after the 1yr T-Mobile warranty is over and I utilize the LG 2ND year warranty. My profile has me registered with my new phone and not my replacement MEI.

Thank

Lance

• tmo_marissa

At that time, you'd simply contact LG and provide them with your information so that they can look up your profile -- I believe you would have registered with your name, mobile number and address, but I can't say which information you'd need to verify (possibly all!) -- and they'd see that you registered during that timeline. LG explained that this is all that would be needed, and you would simply explain that you completed an exchange per the agreement with LG and T-Mobile where we are still honoring the first year of the warranty for our customers. And that's it!
                                      Honestly, I hope it doesn't even come to that, and that this replacement's awesome and lasts forever. TBH, since I use a G6 too, this was really helpful to know, so I'm glad you asked!

- Marissa

• magenta2426474

Marissa I have another question not related to the software issue. I contacted LG concerning my LG-4 which crashed during a software update in April which caused me to purchase the LG-6. LG said they are aware of the issue with the software issue with the LG-4 and have extended the warranty on the LG-4 to 24 months from purchase date.. However I no longer have the paperwork for when I purchased the LG-4 I tossed it when I purchased the LG-6. Would you check in to my history and see if a copy of my purchase order of the LG4 is available and email it to me.

Thank You

• tmo_marissa

Great question and *man* am I jealous of your ability to take advantage of the G4's extended warranty and replace that phone! While you were throwing away your receipt, I was throwing away my actual G4, which is a bummer, because I loved it.

We don't have individual account access in this forum, so I'm not able to look your information up myself, but we may be able to email a copy to you or you might be able to download one on MyT-Mobile depending on how long ago you purchased the phone! When did you get your G4 and where -- in a store, online through MyT-Mobile, or ordering over the phone with Care?

- Marissa

*edited to clarify that "we" in this context means our T-Force or Care teams!

• magenta2426474

I purchased it at the Silverdale WA. Mall, T Mobile store. Don’t recall how long ago.The plan ID was 2017********** if that helps.

*edited personal info - Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Gotcha! Older retail transactions can be a little tricky, because if they're processed through the point-of-sale rather than our universal systems then a copy may only be available through the store, or may not be an option. However, if you purchased the phone within the last 24 months and the transaction was run through the universal system I'm referencing, you may be able to download and print a copy of the receipt via MyT-Mobile. This is what you'll want to try.

• Log in to MyTMO. At the top of the page, above the Search bar, click Account History.
                                                  • In the tabs across the top of the Account History window, click Documents.
                                                  • Just above that window to the right, use the drop down to select All (24 Months).

Any available receipts will populate there! If you see the one you need, click the plus sign to the left and then Download PDF.

If you don't see the receipt here, this means that the transaction was processed through the POS, and you'd need to work with the retail store to see if they have a copy!

- Marissa

• Got my G4 replaced with Tmo on insurance for $5 well after a year. I have 4 phones on one line so I keep insurance.

• magenta2426474

Marissa I just got back from exchanging my phone and glad to be back on line. I felt like a member Gilligan Island, no phone, no service stuck on a desert island. I want to again thank you for finding out about LG honoring the 2nd year warranty with the exchange phone. I noticed a message on this phone saying an update was available. I put that on hold after the two experiences I previously had with updates. Thanks Again