Huawei Honor 8 support T-Mobile Band 12 and VoLTE?

edwardmitchell

Some of the Honor 8 spec sheets omit this information but I contacted Huawei and they say the Honor 8 supports LTE Band 12 (700 Mhz) and VoLTE and it should work fine on T-Mobile's Extended Range network. Does anyone have experience with this phone on T-Mobile? Works fine for you?

My phone is unlocked and currently running on an MVNO running on AT&T but am thinking of switching to T-Mobile, and also upgrading another family member's phone to an Honor 8, especially if they support the full T-Mobile network.

Thanks for any feedback

All replies

• jdluzen

Yes it does, I traveled all around upper LP of Michigan and I generally have data. But I have had issues in Band 12 only areas where there's lots of people: I still have full bars, but no data for hours on end. It could have just been my specific area though.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Welcome, edwardmitchell! Kudos to you for doing research before you switch! We don't have a list of specific devices on our side, but it's awesome to read that jdluzen was able to chime in with her experience. We've also got a basic Bring your own device setup guide which links out to our APNs if you need some help getting started with your settings. We'd love to hear about your experience if you decide to move forward!

- Marissa

• edwardmitchell

We switched our phones over a week ago. One phone # transferred in minutes but the other took a couple of days due to a snag with the service provider we were leaving (not TMobile's problem). The local T-Mobile store set up the account incorrectly but TMobile customer support resolved the problem quickly, with 100% of the people I spoke to being very friendly and working diligently to resolve the problem. 

The data speed is noticeably faster than what we had on our non-TMobile carrier before. Seriously faster. As in 40 Mbps at the evening commute time versus about 5 Mbps on the other provider.

Second, battery life is much better. On our prior carrier, the signal at our house was low - that meant our phones used more power each time they pinged or communicated with the network. With T-Mobile we see full scale signals and battery drain is noticeably less, a lot less. Another factor is that since data is transferred at higher speed on T-Mobile, the power required for transmitting is used for less time, meaning less power consumed.

My Honor 8 works fine. We were in an area that has LTE Band 12 (700 Mhz) and I suspect my phone was working on that but Android 7 doesn't reveal the band or frequency in use (I hear Android 7.1 does). The other phone is a Nexus 5 that is also working well on T-Mobile.

Our experience may not be the same for everyone but this seems like a good decision for us

• magenta2575252

I am currently using the Honor 7 but have no clue how to find out if my LTE band 12 compatible with current update.

My situation is that I have full bars but it has "E" on top rather "4G". Speed wise, slower than 2G. I was told last by T-Mobile tech that it's the tower covering my area is going through outage. But that's 4wks ago. Second guess is that my band doesn't compatible with the current T-Mobile upgrade, in other words, my phone is will not auto upgrade to T-Mobile's latest upgrade in LTE band. At certain areas where I am at, Seattle, I can get 3G speed, other areas, back to >2G. I can't deal with this.

Can anyone help me through with this? Why do I feel like I am being pushed out and leave no choice but to buy T-Mobile device instead of BYOD. I am very frustrated as I couldn't use or limited of my data/speed when I travel where no wifi is available.

• jdluzen

Looking at the specs on the Honor site and my go-to spec checking site GSMArena, I don't think the Honor 7 has the required hardware for Band 12. And even if it did, it's unfortunately more complicated than that: T-Mobile must explicitly whitelist which phones can be used on their Band 12, as they require VoLTE and E911. Here's a crowdsourced list of compatible phones: Devices compatible with Extended Range LTE - Spectrum Gateway. I have personally tested the Honor 8, LG G4, Blade V8 Pro, Blu Vivo 5R, and the LeEco Le S3.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • edwardmitchell

As best I can tell, the Honor 7 was sold in China, India and the UK and is not really intended for the U.S. market and does not support many of the bands used in the U.S.

Bands supported by Honor 7 (this from gsmarena.com but also many other web sites with same info)

TechnologyGSM / HSPA / LTE
                    2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
                    3G bandsHSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100 - Europe
                    4G bandsLTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800) - Europe
                    SpeedHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps
                    GPRSYes
                    EDGE

Yes

The Honor 8 (L04 model - US) supports:

TechnologyGSM / HSPA / LTE
                    2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
                    3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
                    4G bandsLTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 17(700), 20(800)
                    SpeedHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps
                    GPRSYes
                    EDGEYes

T-Mobile uses LTE Bands 2, 4 (possibly also known as LTE 66) and 12 in the U.S. (and soon, the new 600 Mhz band LTE 71). I think your Honor 7 is running mostly as a GSM phone in the U.S. (See Supported T-Mobile networks )

If you plan to replace the Honor 7, you might wait for a new 600 Mhz phone (such as the LG VG30) that supports the new 600 Mhz band. These phones are coming to market very soon.

• magenta2575252

Thank you for the info. i literally screen shot of this info. appreciated!

• edwardmitchell

A little update - I think the Honor 7 probably works as a 3G phone in the U.S.

2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
                            3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100

As HSDPA 850 and 1900/2100 are generally compatible with the older U.S. 3G frequencies. But its not compatible with 4G LTE in the U.S.

I checked with Huawei and they say the Honor 8 is fully compatible with T-Mobile (my experience too after a couple of weeks on T-Mobile), including LTE Bands 2, 4 and 12 (700 Mhz) and Voice over LTE (VoLTE) operation. I really like the Honor 8 phone.

T-Mobile is in process of adding 600 Mhz bands to their network. 600 Mhz will expand coverage, especially in areas outside of cities that are not currently covered. If that is not important, then get an Honor 8 - great phone! If you do want expanded coverage (I live in the Pacific NW, like you) and we've got some bare coverage spots where I like to travel But those will be covered in 2018 with the new 600 Mhz bands. But will need a new phone to use that as no phones yet shipping support 600 Mhz!