The Struggle: OnePlus 3 vs the u1900 to LTE Network Upgrade

dwd0688

This might get lengthy and I apologize, I have been researching and learning about this issue for the last few days.

Here is what I know: (please correct me anywhere I am wrong)

August 15th 2017: T-mobile upgraded their detroit area towers from what was called U1900 to LTE (1700/2100)
    That evening when I got to work I noticed that I only showed E (edge?) 2G service on my OnePlus 3 phone.

First I contacted Tmobile and was informed of the upgrade, then after a day of back and forth with tech support via a customer service agent on facebook, we came to the conclusion that I may need a new sim card. As an alternative they also kindly offered a bill credit towards a new phone and another one to cover the cost of a new sim card. From there I went to OnePlus themselves and contacted customer support, they also suggested a new sim card.

So I drove into the city to get a new sim card, before going inside I did a factory reset on my phone just in case. For maybe 2-3 minutes I had what appeared to be 3/4g service and things were loading, then out of no where it dropped right back to 2g. So I went inside and got a new card, installed it in the store and it made no difference, so I took advantage of the bill credit offer and picked up a less than impressive LG aristo. I have been using it with the new sim card as a mobile hotspot for my OP3 because I just can't stand the lag of the LG, I'd rather deal with the hotspot throttling than slow apps. Anyways, so here I am trying to resolve this problem, I just got done chatting with OnePlus again, where they had me do a different form of factory reset, that again solved nothing, now I am here.

From what I can tell, the specs for both Tmobile and the OP3 phone match up:

T-Mobile:

LTE Frequencies:

1700 MHz & 2100 MHz AWS band 4

1900 MHz PCS band 2 (in refarmed areas)

Lower 700 MHz band 12 (in development) / in service in selected areas

3G/4G Frequencies (WCDMA):

1700 MHz & 2100 MHz AWS band 4

1900 MHz PCS band 2 (in refarmed areas)

2G Frequencies (GSM/GPRS/EDGE):

1900 MHz PCS band 2

OnePlus 3 compatibility:

GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
    4G LTE (Cat. 6)
    WCDMA: Bands 1/2/4/5/8

FDD-LTE: Bands 1/2/4/5/7/12/17/30

CDMA EVDO: BC0

Do you suppose this is a hopeless hardware conflict that will never be resolved/need a new phone?
    Or could it be a software issue that is just a matter of waiting for the next upgrade? (android 8.0 will be the last release for the OP3, coming soon)

All replies