No 4g in boston downtown

dieg1990

Hello,

I arrived yesterday to Boston and got a t-mobile prepaid card this morning to have some data during my stay. However, the data speed is horribly low (2g). I have a bit weird phone (bq aquaris u lite, specs:https://www.pdevice.com/product/bq-aquaris-u ) but I checked and it should be compatible with the 4g (lte 2100) and 2g (gsm 1900) bands. No compatibility with 3g though.

Could somebody clarify me why it doesn't work and whether there is a solution? I called 611 but they kept repeating it's a compatibility issue and didn't listen. Thank you!

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: No 4g in boston downtown

Here's the salient bit from the phone's specs:

"2G Network Bands: GSM : 850 / 900/1800/1900 MHz

3G Network Bands: UMTS : 900 / 2100 MHz

4G Network Bands: LTE : 800 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 MHz"

This is like a million other phones made for the European-Asian market. Look at all the bands. The only two that are used in the USA are GSM 850 & 1900. The 900 & 1800 bands are not used in N. America. The 800, 1800 & 2100 LTE bands aren't used in N. America. The 2600 MHz band (LTE band 7) is used in Canadian cities but not the US. AT&T no longer supports any 2G. T-Mobile has minimal support for legacy 1900 MHz in most markets.  Really, this phone is a very poor choice for use anywhere in N. America.

My suggestion(s):

1. Go to a T-Mobile retailer and pick up a cheap prepaid phone for the rest of your trip. Insert your current SIM into the new phone or.
        2. Go to any store that sells prepaid phones and buy a complete kit for any carrier or MVNO and chalk your T-Mobile SIM up to experience.
        1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Re: No 4g in boston downtown

Welcome, dieg1990, and thanks for stopping by our Community to ask your question! drnewcomb2 definitely knows his stuff when it comes to network compatibility. I have to say that as much as we would love to have your business, in this particular situation, it doesn't look like our network and your device are going to play too nicely together. How are things going? If your stay in the US is extended and you'd like some help with choosing a device that might get more out of the service while you're here we're happy to help narrow down some options if you were on the fence!

- Marissa