Digits App won't let screen turn off

lighttreason

Starting a new thread as the previous one was incorrectly marked answered almost three months ago, without any ETA of a fix.

Issue:

Any notification by Digits turns on the screen. No notification options. Security issue when phone is out in public, all sorts of issues when in your pocket. Please escalate.

Nexus 5X on 7.1.2, digits 1.1.5.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Digits App won't let screen turn off

Hmm, this is super odd you're still having this issue lighttreason. I have this exact same phone and software version but I don't see this happening. Have you already uninstalled/reinstalled, then restarted the phone? Your screen doesn't stay on with the DIGITS app removed from the phone does it?

• lighttreason

Thanks for responding. I'm sorry, I misunderstood the original context. The screen will indeed go back off after receiving a message (if not in my pocket of course).

My feature request is the ability to prevent the screen turning on at all when receiving a message. What is the ETA on notification settings?

• tmo_mike_c

Oh okay. I'm sorry I misunderstood. I can pass this request along to my DIGITS devs, I just can't make the promise this can be worked in, so I don't have an ETA for this notification settings. We're always open to feedback on on all our services so thanks for making the suggestion.

• lighttreason

Thanks for your response. Though, I don't quite understand your response. Are you saying there is no ETA on notification settings entirely? I find it hard to believe a messaging app would leave beta without notification settings. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding your response. Thanks.

• tmo_mike_c

Sorry, I don't mean to confuse things.

It's just that you wrote:

My feature request is the ability to prevent the screen turning on at all when receiving a message. What is the ETA on notification settings?

I read that as a request for our engineers to make this feature and a time when that'll be done. So to answer your question, yes it does have notification options, just not the one I believe you're suggesting from your post. Take a look at the screenshot of the settings I took from my phone.

Capture.PNG

To be clear, are you looking to for any notification options? Or are you looking for the developers to create a new notification setting that you're not seeing? Please let me know if that makes sense.

• lighttreason

For starters, the developers should prioritize creating a notification option within the app "Turn on screen when receiving a message" that may be toggled on/off. Today, that setting is stuck in the "on" position. Even if I toggle "Block all" in the OS notification settings in your screenshot, the screen still turns on when receiving a message.

They should really look at Telegram's notification settings menu for best practices.

• tmo_chris

Hey lighttreason,

I want to gather some additional information from you. I just sent you a private message so if you could reply to that when you have a moment, it would be greatly appreciated.