3 Months Not receving Short Codes (MMS). Email to Text messages

dyung

Hello T-Mobile Family,

I recently joined T-Mobile in the beginning months of June. I have 4 lines as of now with T-Mobile. Since, I have not been able to receive E-mail to Text Messages. I work for a company that sends out email messages to text messages. Example (???-???-????@tmomail.net) would be my cell phone number including domain name.  I was originally with AT&T, which worked fine. Now, I am not receiving these messages at all.

I've been on the phone with a engineer for 3 months trying to figure this out and no one has been able to figure it out. I have open 5 tickets (that I can list), with the tech department. This is extremely frustrating that I am paying for a service that is not allowing me to receive work related messages. This is crazy that no one from the engineering department/ tech department can fix this?

The current status right now is still in limbo. I had my tech firm in my company add my number to a email chain that has 50 individuals on it. I am currently using a IPHONE 7 Plus. Once the e-mail chain is sent from one specific person or by anyone, I don't receive anything. BUT, I do receive individual messages from email to text perfectly fine.

I completely reset my phone, thinking that it might be the phone because of a bad "port," which was not the case. I had my company add my wife's cell number to the email chain and behold, she receives every message thus far. She is using a IPhone 6, and I had swapped sim cards with both phones to test if it is indeed the phone. The result, it is not the phone, because she still received these messages on my phone, while I wasn't receiving anything on her phone.

Please, someone with any idea of fixing this, because I want to stay with Tmobile, but this is causing me to loose potential money and possibly my position if this isn't resolved. No one has gotten back to me thus far, and every tech supervisor has said they would.

Frustrated Customer,

David

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Wow dyung  you've done a fantastic job troubleshooting this and I'm bummed this hasn't been resolved. The engineering ticket is the last step, but I'm surprised you have so many open. Have you had the most recent one checked for updates? What was the last thing you were told about the ticket?

• tmo_mike_c

Hey just checking in to see if you've had you ticket looked at for updates. Please come back and keep us posted on this. Thanks!

• dyung

Hello MC,

Thank you for reaching out to me on this matter.  The following are all the tickets that has been opened thus far:

July 5 - #16677097

July 10 - #16791659

July 18 - #61153

July 25 - #168571224

July 25 was the last ticket that was filed.  The result so far was, no problem found.  It's August 22 and nothing has been resolved as the beginning of June.  This is crazy that the tech's can't figure this out or give me any feedback.  At least offer to provide a new test number and a sample phone to see if this works? I am trying to make this work, and obliviously I'm the only one really trying still.  Again, I'm going to have to pull 4 lines off of T-Mobile if this doesn't get resolved.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that I spoke to a tech in August, and he basically said that there isn't much they can do at this point and I might have to move on and change carriers.  I do not recall his name, but that was the answer I got at this point.  Again, I am willing to work with T-Mobile in getting solved, which might be a new number and a test phone.  I really don't want to give my number up, but if it comes down to it, then so be it.

Regards,

David

• hopenova

My wife and I are having the exact same issue and reponses that dyung had.  What she has been told is that T-Mobile is getting rid of support of email to text therefor they will no longer put any effort into looking into the issue.  Is that true?  It seems like there is still a lot of need for this service I can't believe T-mobile is dumping it.  Like dyung she has been told if this is something she needs she is best to go to another provider for service.  Is there anything that can be done to see what the issue is?

• tidbits

how large are the photos you are sending?  From my understanding things won't be delivered if the size of the entire thing is over 1MB in size as that's the limit for MMS.  So if you send something and everything is 1.1MB the other end won't get it, but if it was .9MB then it will get it. 

• srickar

I don't think pictures are the issue here because majority are using email for text dispatch alerts. While you can  send a photo from email and vice versa, message size is a bit more involved depending if the message is originating or receiving side and from which sources.

Maximum inbound MMS from inter-carrier (Vzw, ATT, S) is 3MB.

Outbound MMS size to inter-carrier is 1Mb.

T-Mobile to T-Mobile is 1Mb unless both parties are using RCS capable handsets, then the limit is 10Mb transfer.

Each handset has a configuration file that compresses and formats the pic to 1mb for portrait/landscape modes.

Attempts to use GoSMS Pro, Handcent, etc have abilities to override attachment size, but if the sending or receiving carrier has restrictions in place, the message might still show as sent, but can be denied by receiving inter-carrier network due to message exceeding quota limit.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • tidbits

srickar wrote:

I don't think pictures are the issue here because majority are using email for text dispatch alerts. While you can send a photo from email and vice versa, message size is a bit more involved depending if the message is originating or receiving side and from which sources.

Maximum inbound MMS from inter-carrier (Vzw, ATT, S) is 3MB.

Outbound MMS size to inter-carrier is 1Mb.

T-Mobile to T-Mobile is 1Mb unless both parties are using RCS capable handsets, then the limit is 10Mb transfer.

Each handset has a configuration file that compresses and formats the pic to 1mb for portrait/landscape modes.

Attempts to use GoSMS Pro, Handcent, etc have abilities to override attachment size, but if the sending or receiving carrier has restrictions in place, the message might still show as sent, but can be denied by receiving inter-carrier network due to message exceeding quota limit.

There's more to it than that from what I understand.  Also sending via email there is no compression that happens.  The size you send that's the size it wants to come out on the other end.  Just because you use email doesn't mean it goes through IMS, and still goes through MMS.  I haven't seen anywhere where any carrier updates that part of the system.  Do you have any written document that says otherwise?  I just want to make sure.

I thought at some point they planned to switch to email to IMS, but they need better adoption to RCS before they can do that which may happen at the end of this year(could happen at the same time) when they switch to a universal profile.

• srickar

Hello tidbits,

Hoping I can fully clarify as I'm an engineer on the messaging team seeking out examples of the reported condition. Total SMTP inbound email limit is 3145728 bytes, or 3MB. This quota was set to 3MB to match the inbound limits of inter-carrier, which is also a form of SMTP email, but through a different private gateway.

I was clarifying the initial statement about 1MB being the entire size limit for all forms of MMS which is partially out of date. Inbound limits were changed back in 2013 to accommodate growing file sizes and because of increased message processing capacity and network bandwidth capacity augments to our inter-carrier partners.

But there are different scenarios where 1MB is not the full answer for all flows. Several flows have different criteria depending upon if it was inbound, outbound, or RCS.

The focus of this thread is in regards to email to plain text device decoding, which does not involve multimedia attachments at this time.

If an MM3 plain text message is below 400 characters, lacks multimedia attachment, no multipart/mixed format, the message qualifies for SMS delivery and is redirected to SMSC for delivery. Using 7 bit encoding, the message is processed by SMSC in several segments of 160 bytes each. SMS plain text content conversion from MMS to SMS occurs in 160 byte segments. When 2 or more segments are delivered to device, the device is not compiling the segments into a single WAPENC message and displaying on the device even though the device successfully received the segment. If a message contains attachments, remains MMSC entire time which is not the case here.

Plain text scenario is currently being debugged with various devices and plain text content. As a workaround, if DIGITs app is installed, this app will display the plain text content. Hope to have a resolution for this soon, stay tuned!

• srickar

I have an update tidbits hopenova

Device logs were sent over to Samsung October 18th and they have found the issue. As for patch, I do not have an official release date, but the display issue has been identified and will be resolved with OTA update. The issue impacts mostly non-DIGITs capable SIM cards. It was reproduced on Note 5 and GS6 specifically.

That's why installing DIGITs app on a phone that doesnt necessarily need it, will provide a workaround to view the messages.  Again, I do not have ETA on when SW release will take place as this would be originating from Samsung. As for other device manufacturers, I am gathering further details. Please stay tuned.

1. Message not being displayed – Non Digits SIM card – Issue to be fixed via software update on UE.
                        1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • dyung

Hello Srickar,

I am still not receving my messages still and I was hoping we have a solution soon. DIGITS does not work as a solution as well. I will have to leave TMOBILE if there is no update on a patch that was mentioned. It might be best to switch over back to either AT&T or Verizon at this point. At least I know these two services can accept this type of message.

Again, I am looking forward to your response and hopefully a solution. (FYI, all my co-workers who have t-mobile can accept these messages and i am surprised I am the only one that cannot.)