Infuriated Customer of 13 years re: TMobile One Plan

magenta2394431

I have been a customer with tmobile ever since i first got a cell phone. At the end of last year, i even got my mom to switch over from Verizon. We got a tmobile one plan with unlimited everything. It was great, she has loved it and its saved a lot of money.

That is until today, when I accidentally stumbled upon a ad promoting a 2 line tomi le one plan for $100/month - $20 less than what I'm currently paying. So i called customer service. They offered to sign me up for the plan, which they confirmed is THE EXACT SAME as the plan i currently hold. I asked when this new pricing went into effect - they said January. So, I've essentially been paying $20 extra a month when i did not need to. It's infuriating!!!!!

i received no emails, texts, promotional materials, etc to alert me that this plan was being offered. The CSR's response that it has been prmoted everywhere, is on the account website and within the app. I don't use the app bc it is a horrible user experience. I have auto payments, so there isn't a reason for me to log into my account on a regular basis. Why wouldn't tmobile send me a text or email, since they regularly do that? Because it benefits them to continue to have me pay $20 more, obviously.

Also, another thing that really angers me...Back in march i called customer service to have some misc charges reimbursed back onto my account. Why couldn't the CSR i spoke to then say, "oh hey, i notice you have the old tmobile one plan... did you know we recently launched a new version of that and it'll save you $20 per month?" I then would have only paid $40-60 more, and started saving with the new pricing. Instead, i have paid $140 more than i should have and no one is willing to compensate me for that amount through tmobile.

how can tmobile expect loyal customers when they make it seem like all they want is their money? I understand that tmobile can't automatically make plan hanges to my account, but i didn't know about the new plan pricing to call and make those changes!!! So sort of communication to your current tmobile one plan holders would have been ideal. Just to let them know this is an option, and if they want to take advantage of it, they should call cus service or log into their account. But that doesnt benefit tmobile to promote to their customers to pay less, does it?

All replies

• gramps28

Tmobile has been promoting that plan on TV for a while now.

I never bit on that plan but jumped on this one.

http://ww.tmonews.com/2017/08/t-mobile-unlimited-55-plan-two-lines-60-per-month

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta2394431

Thank you for sharing that link. I may be able to take advantage of that,

since my mother is also on the plan with me.

As for promoting on tv, i don't watch tv much. I'm mostly a streaming user.

So netflix, amazon prime, etc. if i do, it's prerecorded and i fast forward

through commercials.

• The 55+ plan will affect lines where the main account holder (you) is 55+.  The plan is $100 with autopay.  $110 without.  That's for 2 lines.

• tidbits

magenta2394431 wrote:

Thank you for sharing that link. I may be able to take advantage of that,

since my mother is also on the plan with me.

As for promoting on tv, i don't watch tv much. I'm mostly a streaming user.

So netflix, amazon prime, etc. if i do, it's prerecorded and i fast forward

through commercials.

The reason WHY they don't switch people right away is DUE to the fact there are differences.  Switching over may drop other promotions that are not tied to the current plan.  Imagine you had 2 free lines and they switched you over and viola now you pay for those 2 lines even if the plan is $20 cheaper itself.  They  leave it up to the user to switch.

If you taking the newest plan offering the 55+  the primary person must be 55+, and the plan has a maximum of 2 lines allowed.

• artart

Hi magenta2394431

Welcome to the forum.

I can understand your feelings about spending the extra $140.

I have been a T-Mo customer for a long time also. I had always thought that my grandfathered plan would be better than anything that might be subsequently offered. That was simply not the case.  I was shocked a while back when I had found out that my older plan had not been as good as some more current offerings. After upgrading my plan I then resolved, to constantly monitor all of T-Mobile's new offerings from then on.

We customers need to monitor the T-Mo offers constantly because frequently really great offers can pop up at any time. Those offers are usually only available for a limited time which could be as little as one week. After the offer expires T-Mo will not bend the rules to allow even a long time customer to receive the expired offer. You are fortunate that the better rate plan was still being offered and you were able to lower your monthly bill.

tidbits gives some good reasons

why T-Mo won't automatically change our plans just to lower our monthly bills.

The most important point I would like to make.

If you monitor news about T-Mo in the future, you will most likely discover a valuable offer you might not otherwise have found out about. If you hadn't joined the forum to voice your displeasure with the unnecessary outlay of $140, you might not have found out about the offer that gramps28 mentioned.  Hopefully you will save more than $140 if you decide to take advantage of the 55+ offer. 

Checking out this forum every week or so is a good way to not miss out on other offers.

My favorite way of seeing what T-mobile is up to is by using the Flipboard app and following the T-Mobile "magazine" which is a pretty comprehensive collection of up to date info about T-Mo.

My final thoughts:

You mentioned that you felt that T-Mobile should have emailed you a notification about a new plan to save you money. Have you made sure that you have opted in to receive such notifications? You can follow these steps to check.

Login to your account

Select "Profile"

Select "Privacy & Notifications"

Select "Marketing & Notifications - Control how T-Mobile sends you information about product and services"

If the option for info is currently checked, you might post back here and further discuss if T-Mobile should have notified you about the new less expensive plan. 

You could also call T-Mo back first, ask to speak to a supervisor and ask why you weren't notified about the new service with a cheaper price if you were opted in to receive such notifications?

Art

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • Tmo won't email you an offer you aren't eligible for....or so I'd think.

I would never see info about the 55+ plan in my inbox since I'm not eligible as a less than 55 main account holder.

• Its also worth mentioning that if tmo could lower your plan automatically they could also raise it as well.  This is why we have agreements. Nonetheless responsibility of information falls upon the consumer. 

• magenta2394431

I never expected them to do it automatically, but everyone keeps mentioning

that. My whole point is that they did not give me any notification that

this new plan was available so i could call in to make the plan change.

I actually just received a text regarding the upcoming changes to jump on

demand yesterday. If they can send a direct text message to me about that,

why not about a better offer available? Because it benefits them to have me

continue paying more.

• tidbits

magenta2394431 wrote:

I never expected them to do it automatically, but everyone keeps mentioning

that. My whole point is that they did not give me any notification that

continue paying more.

There's an actual marketing setting you can turn off and on.  You can even have it send emails or text messages.  If you have it off they can't send you any marketing info which is different than jump program changes.

I don't remember if I changed the settings myself, but mine are all off.  Possibly it asks you somewhere at some point and said no during the setup process.  Here is what it looks like.marketing.PNG

• artart

magenta2394431 wrote:

My whole point is that they did not give me any notification that

continue paying more.

Hi  magenta2394431

Please see my own response to snn_555

There is a difference between the two situations. If a person is enrolled in a plan such as Jump On Demand, and the terms are being changed, T-Mo must notify the customer about the change in terms typically by text or email. The customer cannot "opt out" of receiving notifications such as that. T-Mobile is required to notify the customer because an existing contract's terms are being changed after both parties agreed to the contract. The fact that that T-Mobile "can" notify us about changes to existing contracts does not directly relate to whether T-Mo can notify us about the existence of newer plans that we might switch to.

Accepting changes in terms are a requirement to continue to use an existing plan.  A customer must be notified if an existing agreement is being changed, unless the customer is grandfathered into a plan and is not being affected by changes which might only apply to new users.

Of course T-Mobile also can (has the ability) to notify us if a new option is available to us in an existing plan or in a plan we might be interested in switching to. However T-Mo has no obligation to notify  us  of options that we aren't going to be forced to accept.  That is why they are called options. T-Mo gives the option to receive offers in the profile page I have suggested you check out. tidbits also elaborated on the process in his reply.

If we want to be notified of "a better offer", it stands to reason that we request being notified, of all marketing and promotional offers on our profile preference page. If you have done that I believe you might have some further room for discussion with T-Mobile about your issue. 

I thank you for raising this issue in the forum. Many of us, such as tidbits are opted out of receiving marketing notifications. T-Mobile is constantly launching many new promotions which many of us have grown to value very much. Perhaps some of us (myself included) should reconsider opting out of marketing promos.

Art

• artart

snn_555 wrote:

Its also worth mentioning that if tmo could lower your plan automatically they could also raise it as well. This is why we have agreements. Nonetheless responsibility of information falls upon the consumer.

I agree.... BUT....

I believe that the only recourse the original poster could possibly have is IF he requested to receive notifications of marketing "offers" and didn't receive the new plan with a lower rate "offer". T-Mobile lowers rates for marketing purposes; thus I would believe that the new plan could fall into the category of a marketing offer.

If I were in the OP's shoes, and I did elect to receive offers and did not receive the reduced rate plan offer, I definitely would call T-Mo and ask why I did not receive the "offer". It is possible that T-Mobile only sends opted in customers offers that would require spending additional money. Perhaps offers that would reduce monthly bills are not sent to long time customers like the OP and myself as part of the marketing strategy. I could understand that. After all marketing offers are designed to raise T-Mo's monthly revenue, not lower it.

I just believe that The OP (as well as the rest of us) are entitled to know if we are supposed to receive marketing offers which would lower our monthly bills on existing plans, when we agree to receive "offers". tidbits has posted a screen shot of the opt in page I had suggested the OP check out. As  tidbits points out, he is "opted out" of receiving offers. Clearly tidbits would have no expectation of notification of anything except across the board changes in terms for existing plans and services. If the OP is also opted out, clearly the OP would have absolutely no reason to expect any notification at all of the existence of a plan that would save him money. That is why I suggested the OP "check out" the opt in page in his profile (which tidbits also mentioned in his post).

Frankly if I were opted in and didn't receive notification of an offer, I would definitely mention that I was expecting to receive notifications when I called to ask for a refund of $140. I would ask for clarification from a supervisor as to what offers are included and not included when a customer expects to be notified about (all) offers when opting in.

snn555 , I absolutely agree with you that it is not T-Mo's responsibility to notify all customers every time there is a possibility that money could be saved by switching to a new plan. I do believe that it is worth discussing if T-Mobile should notify customers if thy agreed to be (or requested) to be notified  about marketing offers. I personally would be interested in knowing if the OP was opted in or not.

Thanks for responding. As I have alluded to earlier, I believe that what is covered by opting into  promo or marketing offers is worth discussing. Of course my un -sated opinion when asking the OP to check out his marketing preferences was that if he wasn't opted in to be notified, he had no reason to expect to be notified about anything. I was just being polite, giving the OP the benefit of the doubt by asking him to confirm that he was opted in.

Art

• I have seen offers sent to me before. Some things are mistakingly dismissed. Some things were not eligible for.  Sometimes offers are made in between plan changes and are not received the same thing goes for opting in and out on preferences that may take 10 business days to enable or disable. Long story short it is up to each of us to make sure that we are informed by doing our own research. It is understandable that we may sign up for offers but we must do our part to make sure we are informed of those offers as well. I'm not saying that anyone is or is not at fault but in the end it is up to the person not the company to make sure that the person is informed.  How many times have you heard somebody say they never checked their bill because they're on autopay and they think it will be the same amount every month? Now consider those same people see a charge one month and they don't know why and that turns out to be the one time they check their bill. Nothing should be left up to the automatic people should manually make the effort from time to time to make sure everything is on the up-and-up.  This is simply one of those matters and situations where something either fell through the cracks or there was a misunderstanding or what have you.  We all know that T-Mobile does not honor an offer if it was never made and definitely not after the expiration of that promotion.

• magenta2394431

The promotion is still going, has been since January. To me that isn't a

promotional price anymore. Just a new pricing plan. If i had heard of a

promotional price of X amount of dollars and missed out on it, i wouldn't

be upset. I'm upset because the $110 (-$10 for auto payment) is the new

standard.

• tidbits

magenta2394431 wrote:

The promotion is still going, has been since January. To me that isn't a

promotional price anymore. Just a new pricing plan. If i had heard of a

promotional price of X amount of dollars and missed out on it, i wouldn't

be upset. I'm upset because the $110 (-$10 for auto payment) is the new

standard.

Like I mentioned earlier.  People have promotional plans.  The new plan changes may remove promotions and also may end up cost people more.  Due to this T-Mobile allow users to make the choice on their own.  T-Mobile stated this during their first Uncarrier promise that they won't force people off promotions.  They can decide to move away from it on their own. They byproduct is what you see here they don't retroactive or move people automatically.

• artart

snn_555

Thanks for your response.

All of your points are well taken. I agree with your additional observations.

I will  summarize my remarks and try to clearly state  my main points.

1. If we are not opted in, we have no expectation of being notified about offers that will save money.

2.  If we are opted  in we still have no guarantee of anything.

3.  We would prefer that T-Mo customers are "happy" not "angry"

Regarding #1

There is absolutely no possible way to get T-Mobile to Refund $140, if the OP has not agreed to be notified about a better offer.

Regarding #2

There is possibly a reason to bring to T-Mobile's attention that the OP was expecting to be notified if a better plan were to be offered. There is still no reason to believe that T-Mobile would or should honor the OP's request for a refund. I do believe that T-Mobile might possibly voluntarily show a long time customer some love by at least making some kind of offer which would make a customer happy instead of angry.

Regarding #3

All of my remarks up to now have been about the need to have a discussion about this issue which probably has no exact "correct answer". Of course we all would like to see the OP be "happier" with T-Mo's service. Hopefully the OP will feel a little better after bringing his issue to this forum. The members replying in this thread have spent time responding to the pain felt by the OP. Whether the OP receives any real benefit by having this discussion remains to be seen. I just hope that he does.

* As a personal side note to you snn_555,

I appreciate gramps28, tidbits and you chiming in to address the issue magenta2394431 raised.

I follow all three of you, learning so much as a result. I have not been able to spend any time in this forum for over a month. I do check in daily to see what everybody is doing. That is actually one of the points I have tried to make with the OP. Stay in touch with T-Mo.

During my month of "lurking" in the forum it pains me that I don't have enough time right now to respond to many of the discussions. I thought that the OP's situation was compelling enough for me to take some time and see if I could in some way help advance some understanding about this issue among the community members.

Art

• magenta2394431

I do appreciate everyone's comments. I have received some great

suggestions, and also some suggestions that missed the entire point of my

intial post.

I understand that no one would expect any action to be taken without my

explicit approval or request. I didn't expect for that to happen.

I will check to ensure that my offers notifications are turned on for

future awareness.

I guess I was just annoyed with the complete lack of understanding or

concern that the reps had when i spoke to them. And also, I'd like to point

out that not one of the reps i spoke with even suggested to check to see if

my offers notifications were turned on.

I am happy with the cell service, but disappointed that these plans

continue to be lower prices and I've not been aware. That's just insane to

me.

Also, as for auto payments. I do that because I've missed payments in the

past. I get texts notifying me of the amount which has been charged. So i

do see that monthly and know if anything looks off.

Oh, also, I'm a girl. So the OP is a "she".

• artart

Hi "Ms" magenta2394431

Thanks for the reply. Hope you feel better.

Just remember that if you are opted in for marketing offers, it is worth a shot to bring that fact up to a T-Mo supervisor's attention. You might as a long time customer receive some kind of goodwill offer. In any event I hope that your initial unpleasant experience will turn into future years of  benefit to you as a T- Mobile customer.

I would like to take this opportunity to bring to your attention the weekly offers T-Mobile customers receive every Tuesday. Some Tuesdays the offers aren't that useful to me. Others Tuesdays some of the offers are fantastic. . . .  all for free.

If you haven't heard about T-Mobile Tuesdays yet or didn't think it was worth the time to check out the deals, I would like to give my personal endorsement of the really fun freebie festivities. I never miss checking out T-Mobile every Tuesday.

Back in March I was already aware of a limited time offer that I found by my daily reading of Flipboard's T-Mobile "magazine". The offer was going to begin a few days later (on a Tuesday). When I checked out my T-Mobile Tuesday App, on that particular Tuesday, the offer also appeared as a T-Mobile "freebie" offering. The offer was good for only one week. All T-Mobile Tuesday offers are only valid until the next Tuesday.  I quickly signed up for a free third line for free. My plan requires me to pay $40 per month for a third line. I now have a free third line for as long as I remain a T-Mobile customer. I just pay a few $ per month in taxes for the line.

There are many benefits that we have as T-Mo customers. Sometimes we just have to dig a little bit to find them. You might like to check out this thread

Hopefully you will keep coming back to visit the forum. It has been a great ongoing experience for me personally.

As I began my replies to you, I will end with a very sincere "Welcome to the community forum".

Art

1 of 2 people found this helpful