Europe for one Month?

austinbike

We currently use another carrier for our cell coverage. However, when we travel to Europe for a few weeks, at $10/day, per phone, the cost adds up quickly. Because I am a mountain biker and need a phone that has good coverage in more remote areas, T-Mobile is not a consideration for a permanent switch (my T-Mobile friends often do not have coverage in places that I do.)

However, the idea that I can have a plan that works here and in Europe for the month, at $100 for two of us is appealing. I know that T-mobile always brags about no contracts and no strings, but if I were to get the plan and then cancel at the end of the first month, are there other fees that I am not considering? An activation fee, a cancelation fee, any other things that I am not taking into consideration? We would need 2 SIMs so I understand that I will need to add that cost in as well.

Am I missing something?

All replies

• Re: Europe for one Month?

You would have 2 $25 SIM kit fees. No cancellation fees. Plus cost of phone. If you BYOP make sure it is Tmobile compatible and also contains compatible GSM bands that work in overseas markets you go to. Or you could get a temp prepaid SIM from the country you visit for the phone you have possibly.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

Re: Europe for one Month?

There would probably not be a problem with one month but T-Mobile does look at the long-term ratio of international to domestic usage and will cut off roaming if it is way out of kilter for a long time.

I'm not sure I'd go to the hassle for on month. Can you get your current phone(s) unlocked so that they can be used with a European prepaid. You know that the EU has done away with intra-EU roaming fees. You could purchase local SIMs on arrival and use them throughout your vacation. There are some details to know because the European carriers don't like the regulations.

European Union | Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

No EU roaming fees - no roaming (anymore) - PrePaidGSM.net Forum

What phones do you have on which carrier? Do you have any extra (currently inactive) phones?

• austinbike

This is an issue with my wife. 

I've used local SIMs a lot. But the last time we were in Spain we had to buy through the hotel as all of the shops were closed on a Sunday when we arrived. Mine worked. Hers appeared to work and then stopped working. Even being fluent in Spanish, she had a hard time with tech support because of all of the technical terms (I am the tech guy in the family but I can't speak Spanish...)

I also have a mobile hotspot that I use when traveling but she nixed that as well because it is "one more device." I will use that in a couple weeks for Hungary/Germany, less convenient but OK.

An option to use our current carrier and use her phone as a hotspot for me to connect so that we are only using one phone on an overseas plan with our carrier was nixed as well. She seems to think that the T-Mobile option is "so much easier" but I am afraid of either getting throttled because all of our usage is overseas or some other hassle that makes canceling difficult/expensive. Thus my question here.

• drnewcomb2

This is the point where Click & Clack talk about marital-automotive counseling. We can only help you with the technical side of the problem, the inter-personal issues, you have to navigate yourself.

Even if you port over to T-Mobile One Plus plan your data will be "Simple Global international data roaming–up to 256kbps." This is generally fast enough for everything but video streaming, provided your phone supports international 3G/4G bands. I think you'll be safe for a few weeks but as snn_555 points out, T-Mobile is charging $25/ea for SIM kits these days, even if you have compatible, unlocked phones.

So, this gets us back to my previous question: What is your current carrier and phones? Are they SIM-locked or unlocked? If they are locked, will your carrier unlock them?

• austinbike

Iphone 6S's, unlocked from Verizon.

• drnewcomb2

As long as you're not on any plan that ties you to Verizon with phone payments, etc, you should be golden.  Your phone may gripe that the SIM is not from Verizon but you can ignore that.  (Not sure if iPhones have that gripe or not). I'd suggest you port over near the end of your service months because most carriers don't prorate partial months when you port out. (T-Mobile does not.)  With the iPhone 6s, the provider settings (e.g. SMSC, APN, etc) should all update automagically.

• Re: Europe for one Month?

The 6s from Verizon will work on any carrier. I think by trying to uncomplicate things things will get complicated. Id go local SIM.