Digits android app not showing voicemail panel

tikus

Hi all - I've been trying to work through this with T-mobile support and I keep getting the same suggestions and links to the same documents, none of which have helped me with my issue.  In fact, it's a little hard to explain without using screenshots, so I figured I'd try here!

I have T-Mobile One Plus, unlimited talk and text and all that.  Also an additional Digits line, which is my work number.  Both numbers ring to my phone, which is a Nexus 6P running 7.1.2.  Most of Digits works the way it is supposed to - both numbers ring to my phone, I get text messages to both lines on my phone, that part is all pretty great and exactly what I wanted!

My problem is with the Digits app on my phone.  The panel that shows text messages works perfectly, as does the panel with contacts.  What doesn't work are parts of the CALLS panel.  The dialer comes up on the screen just fine:

Digits app dialer.png 

But if I hit the tab on the bottom that is supposed to give me call history, the screen is blank:

Digits app calls tab call history.png

And then the worst part for me, since I use this line as my work number, this is what the voicemail tab looks like, even though the app shows that I have a voicemail:

Digits app calls tab voicemail.png

So on my android Digits app, there is no way for me to see or listen to my voicemails.  On the other hand, if I use the Digits web site or the desktop app on my computer, it all works the way it should.

Has anyone else experienced this, or can anyone offer any possible solutions?  Having two lines on the same phone is the whole reason I switched from Project Fi, hoping that Digits would provide a more reliable multi-line solution than Google Voice did.  But I'm starting to regret that decision.

Thanks all!

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Digits android app not showing voicemail panel

Wow, that's odd tikus.

How long has it been like this? Do you know if this happened after downloading any 3rd party apps? If you haven't already, I'd double check and see if the app itself has an update you can download. Please keep us posted on this. Thanks!

• tikus

Hey, thanks for replying and sorry for my delay getting back to you.

This has been the way the Digits app has looked from the very beginning, when I first signed up for T-Mobile (sometime around 7/4/17) and installed the app on my phone.  As far as I can tell it is the most recent version - that is, there are no updates shown in the Google Play Store and I am running version 1.1.5.

Since it has never worked correctly, I never noticed any change after installing any other apps on my phone.  I can get to Digits on the web, and the app works perfectly on my Android tablet.  But I would really like it to work on my phone!

Again, my concern is that the app might be somehow incompatible with the Nexus 6P, or that it might have something weird to do with my having come from Project Fi and ported my secondary number from Google Voice.  Have other people with the 6P reported problems?

Thanks again.

• tmo_mike_c

Thanks for that information. We don't have any known compatibility issues specifically with Nexus 6P. I know it's not the exact same device, but I'm using the Nexus 5X and I've never seen this display issue. However, I've never used Project-Fi but I don't have anything saying that would be an issue. I'll see what my internal DIGITS team can find out for me and keep you posted. I'm curious, do you have another phone that's T-Mobile branded that you could test your SIM card in to see if the display issue follows?

• lemmyslender

tikus  Have you tried going into settings, apps, DIGITS, and clearing the data/cache?  You'll have to login again.  I believe I had an issue like this on my Nexus 7, uninstall/reinstalling did not work, but clearing the data did.  Once I did that, logged in again, and the voicemail tab worked.

• tmo_marissa

Well, shucks tikus - I'm sorry to read that clearing the app cache didn't work! Did you ever have a chance to test this out in that old HTC device or anything else? I'm not sure what version of Android your HTC One is running; I do know that DIGITS requires Android 4.4+, so that might be worth bearing in mind if you notice any wonkiness testing it on that phone. I know you've checked for updates for the app and your 6P, and that lemmyslender mentioned that they didn't have luck with this, but have you already done an uninstall/reinstall? Thanks!

- Marissa

• peta8368

I am having the same problem on Oneplus 2, running Android 6.0.1. I installed the Digits app around first week of August, and it has always had this issue. I have also tried clearing the data and cache, and it still behaves the same way. Unfortunately, I don't own any Tmobile branded device to test.

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for chiming in, peta8368! I know I haven't given you much time to return and report on the uninstall/reinstall, tikus, but I'm going to forward this issue to our DIGITS team!

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • tikus

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, and I seem to have solved the issue myself - but I wouldn't have gotten there if I hadn't followed everyone's thoughts.

Re-installing Digits didn't seem to work, and I was thinking about the fact that maybe other apps were interfering - and then I just went ahead and did a factory reset of my phone.  Installed the Digits app first thing, and it looked and worked just the way it was supposed to.  I can see missed calls, voicemails, the whole thing.  And I've been re-installing all my other usual apps and Digits still seems to be working great.

It's a good thing, too - the fact that I couldn't see missed calls or voicemails almost led to a pretty bad outcome at my job when I missed a call about a true emergency and didn't realize it until it was almost too late.  I was about to jump ship back to my old carrier but then I figured I'd try something more drastic.

So I don't know what the underlying problem might have been, but I'm happy things work the way they're supposed to.

Thanks again!

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for coming back to let us know! Agreed that the factory reset is the drastic route, but when it works, it's worth it. I wish we knew what was behind this problem in the first place, if we hear anything back from the DIGITS team I'll update here! Thanks for all of your effort and the update!

- Marissa

• tikus

Hi all - I'm back, and I can report that I have now definitively figured out what the problem was.  It was not obvious at all and I was really lucky that I made the connection somehow.  And this is something that the Digits team can probably fix pretty easily!

I was happily re-installing all my old apps, checking that Digits was still working.  Then I guess I got complacent and kept going, setting up all my Google stuff and getting my phone back to the way I liked it.  Then I checked Digits and it was back to how it had been - no display of voicemails, no indication of missed calls.  In other words, back to being disastrously useless again!

I was about to do another factory reset just to get it working again - but I started thinking about the things I had changed cosmetically.  The 6P has a big screen, and I usually try to make everything smaller so that I can fit more stuff on there - I haven't started getting near-sighted yet, I guess.  So I had changed the Display Size to Small.  And suddenly for some reason I thought that might be it.

And when I changed the display size back to the default value and opened up the Digits app, everything looked the way it was supposed to again.  And I didn't have to restart my phone or anything - if I changed the display size to small, parts of the Digits screen stopped working.  If I changed it back to default, Digits worked again.

Interestingly, nothing happens if you increase the display size - you can make things giant and Digits works fine.  It's only for people like me who like things very tiny that you get a problem.

You used to have to use ADB to lower your DPI, but in Nougat it's finally in the regular settings.  In Nougat, you get to the display size settings by going to Settings --> Display --> Display size.  Here are some screenshots of the Display size settings to help anyone else who has a similar problem for the same underlying reasons:

Display size small.pngDisplay size default.png

Summary: If you have the problem in which the Digits "Calls" panel is blank, it might be because your Display Size is set to Small - or you may have messed around with the DPI in other ways.  Try changing your display size to Default or higher.  And maybe this can be addressed by the Digits development team.  Seems to only happen in Android 7.1.2 which is why not too many people are reporting it yet.

• peta8368

That's a great find! Thank you tikus. However, i would much prefer not to lower the dpi setting back down. @Marissa, if the team can come up with an update to address this, that would be fantastic! Thank you both!

Peter