Reception problems

marce1970

I switched from Straight Talk to T-Mobile and my experience so far has been pretty bad.

I get "no service" in many areas and it's very frustrating! for example, as soon as I come into the gym the service stops abruptly. it happens every single time! It's in a very central area and not underground and no tall buildings around. The other day I was in the parking lot of a market place and the same thing happen! I coudn't make calls or search the internet right when I really needed it. Those are just 2 examples. It happens st least once a week, in many areas. I reported this issue a couple times but it hadn't improved st all! I'm very disappointed and I have no idea what the problem could be. I never had any problem with straight Talk! The reason I switched is because  my roommates have t-mobile and I had heard that the reception in that area was better. What can I do? I'm considering switching back to straight talk..

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Reception problems

Two important questions: Where and what phone?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • j.a.r.v.i.s

Marce

Could be phone, could be network....so to isolate, some amount of info on where you are is needed.  Also same iPhone used with Straight Talk or is this a T-Moble branded phone?

Depending on which signal you were using on Straight Talk, it could be that the T-Mobile network is not as strong in the areas you had issues.  Any idea what the marking on your Straight Talk phones was? If you were not using a GSM-T box code, then could be that T-Mobile has low signal in those areas.

TracFone Wireless - Wikipedia

NetworkBox codeTechnologyLTE since
          AT&TGSM-AGSMSeptember 2013
          T-MobileGSM-TGSMMarch 2014
          SprintCDMA-SCDMAMay 2013
          VerizonCDMA-VCDMADecember 2014

OpenSignal might help for checking signal strength...and could help you narrow down if it's just you or everyone who drops at those locations.

• marce1970

Thanks for the replies.I have an IPhone 6. It's actually an for AT&T, which I used with Straight Talk and now with T-Mobile. I live in San Diego and The areas I'm talking about are very central. Like I said, it's not just one area. The very first time I was told they were doing some updates or repairs, which would be done in less than a week. It's been about 5 months and still the same problem in the same areas.I went to Apple to see if there was a problem with my phone and they said there wasn't, which I believe since I never had any problemWhen using the phone with Straight Talk. I can give you the specific areas where Inget NO SERVICE at all.Thanks!

Marcela

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

• j.a.r.v.i.s

Thanks marce1970 -

Just checked a few threads and iPhone 6 does not support LTE band 12.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/2fxlik/no_band_12_support_for_iphone_6/

iPhone - View countries with supported LTE networks - Apple

T-Mobile Extended Range LTE Band 12 (700Mhz) travels through buildings much better than the other two bands 2 and 4 (1700 and 1900 MHz).  It is a relatively new frequency band, so understandable that the iPhone 6 did not support it when it was released...looks like Apple added support in the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.  700MHz appears to be deployed in the San Diego area

Map of T-Mobile's 700 MHz spectrum

The AT&T equivalent is LTE Band 17, which is supported on the iPhone 6 and most likely in your area.

If you can try an iPhone 6s or 7 with your T-Mo sim, may give you some insight...

• marce1970

Thank you so much!I need to buy a new phone so I'll keep all this in mind. Unfortunately I need to buy a SIM free phone since I'm planning on doing some traveling for a few months so I need to make sure it works outside of the US. 

• drnewcomb2

Don't go to Best Buy and ask for an unlocked iPhone. There are a number of complaints from people who did this and found their phone locked to T-Mobile. It's called Apple's Reseller Flex Program. After a few days, the phone locks itself to the first SIM used. Buy an unlocked iPhone directly from Apple. Your iPhone 6 is a very good phone for roaming.

• marce1970

Thank you!!! I always buy my phones directly at the Apple Store. I had never heard of that about Best Buy. Good to know! I think I'm going to buy an iPhone 6s. I just did some research and it looks like it has all the bands that I need.Thank you so much for all the info and help! I've been dealing with this issue for so many months, contacting T-Mobile so many times and nobody could ever figure out the problem. I'm so happy I posted my issue in the discussion panel!

Marcela

• drnewcomb2

I don't guarantee the 6s or 7 will fix your problem. If any of your friends who have T-Mobile also visit the same places with band-12-capable phones, they should be able to tell you how their signal is. BTW, the iPhone 7 comes in two "flavors": A1660 & A1778. The general consensus is that the A1660 (Verizon model) is superior to the A1778. It would also allow you to take your service to any carrier because it has CDMA in addition to GSM/UMTS/LTE. Also, be aware that within a year, phones will come out with band-71 (600 MHz). Over the next several years, T-Mobile will be deploying a lot of band-71.

• drnewcomb2

Here's part of the problem. The iPhone 6 lacks band-12 (Lower 700 MHz A-block) which T-Mobile uses for range and building penetration in most of California, including San Diego. It has bands 17 and 5 which AT&T uses in most places for the same purposes. So, while the iPhone 6 performs well with T-Mobile in most places, it's not the best choice for range and indoor service. To really get an idea of what T-Mobile can do in your area, you need a phone with band-12.

How you handle the situation is up to you. You could get a different phone or port your line to an AT&T-based service. Your choice.

(n.b. A book could be written about the band-17/12 controversy. To long and sordid a tale to recount here.)

• marce1970

That makes sense... so... if I get an iPhone 6s or 7 would that problem be solved?Thanks!

• kanehi

You can try to get a TMobile branded iPhone and see if it works for you.  You have 14 days to try the phone and check if everything is okay in the areas you're going to be in mostly.

• drnewcomb2

marce1970 wrote:

That makes sense... so... if I get an iPhone 6s or 7 would that problem be solved?Thanks!

It's impossible to predict reception inside any randomly chosen building. The variables in building materials and techniques are too complex. All I can say is that in your area, indoor service will be a lot better with band-12 than without. I'd suggest you might want to pursue kanehi's suggestion with the caveat that you should not trade in your current phone until you've made up your mind for sure. Once you hand in a trade-in, it's gone.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, marce1970! It looks like you got a ton of helpful feedback here. We just wanted to check in and make sure there wasn't anything else we could do to help out! Please let us know if you have any more questions.

- Marissa

• marce1970

Yes!!! I had a lot of helpful information!I ended up getting an iPhone 6s and I have 14 days to try it and see if it works. I still have my iPhone 6 just in case. I won't get rid of it until I know for sure iPhone 6s works! I haven't been able to try it in those areas where I have problems with my iPhone 6. I hope my new phone works. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!Thank again!!

• tmo_marissa

Hooray! That's great news, I'm so glad that you were able to get the tips you were looking for from the community! I hope the phone fares much better in those problem areas. Fingers crossed, keep us posted!

- Marissa