No Reception Inside Building

thevictorchen

I'm having a problem where I'm not getting zero reception (911 only and no data service) inside any of the newer taller buildings at work. The moment I step outside of the building, the reception is very strong and reliable? What is going on in this situation and is there a fix?

I'm running Android on a Nexus 6P.

Thanks!

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: No Reception Inside Building

Where is this located? (e.g. Zip Code)

It's possible to build a building so that no radio signals get inside or out. Sometimes carrier have antenna systems inside buildings to take care of this but that often has to do with having the company contract for cellular service.

• thevictorchen

The building is located in Foster City, CA. Zipcode 94404.

The odd part is every other major carrier (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon) has service inside the building. I previously had Sprint and many other people I know switched to AT&T and Verizon to avoid having to connect into the companies Wifi. Additionally, everyone I checked with who had T-Mobile (iPhone and Android) also confirmed they don't have service indoors, so I know it's not an issue with my phone.

I am looking forward to the 600 roll out, but the one chart I saw from T-Mobile (can't find it anymore) shows the SF Bay Area getting the new service last.

• drnewcomb2

Well, your description is pretty diagnostic. T-Mobile has at least 3 700MHz towers in Foster City. What could be happening includes:

1. The other companies just have their antennas located closer to your building than T-Mobile's antennas are.
                2. The other companies may have micro-cells inside your office building, or
                3. T-Mobile tries to not overpower their signals, which causes loss of network capacity. In any given situation they try to use the least power that will achieve their design goals.This is how they manage to get awards for network speed

You might want to file a service request but don't hold your breath expecting a dozen engineers to parachute onto the scene an hour later.