Slow Data North of Boston

magenta2144720

I live north of Boston and I have very slow data. Usually it's 2G and about 0.13 Mbs. This is terrible. Is anyone else having the same problem?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Slow Data North of Boston

North of Boston as in Charlestown or as in Wolfeboro? What phone are you using?

• tmo_marissa

Hey there! Nobody likes slow data! Have you always had this experience, or is this something new? The questions that drnewcomb2 asked can help us take a closer look at what's going on with your service, if you've got a moment to fill in some details.

- Marissa

• tmo_mike_c

We really wanna help make sure you get the fastest speeds possible magenta2144720. Please give us a holler back and let us know more specifics. Thanks!

• tmo_mike_c

Have you tested your data recently to see if it's a bit faster than before? Please come back and keep us posted on this. Thank you!

• magenta2144720

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 International (GSM card)

When I spoke to Corey in support he told me that the 1900 Mhz spectrum (LTE) is being dropped for the new 600 Mhz spectrum. This is for 5G. He advised me to get a phone that has 600 Mhz (phones not available yet) and 2100 Mhz spectrum. In the data below you can see that my phone can use 1900 Mhz for 2G and 3G. This is a mess. Apparently the 1900 Mhz my phone used to use (and provided quite good data speeds) has already been dropped, but the 600 Mhz I will need is not yet in phones currently being sold. What do you recommend I do?

The changes are related to T-Mobile aquiring new frequencies so they can improve service and data speeds. This implies that T-Mobile dropped a frequency which my phone used (1900 Mhz?), and which used to give me quite good data speeds.

So my slow data speeds are the result of changes made by T-Mobile. I brought my own phone, and did not purchase from T-Mobile, so they didn't offer me a new phone cheap.

My research shows me that my area has 700 Mhz LTE. But apparently my phone can't use that.

"T-Mobile Lights Up Greater Boston Area With Extended Range LTE"

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/t-mobile-lights-up-greater-boston-area-with-extended-range-lte.htm

Wikipedia

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Wikipedia

2G: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz, GSM / GPRS / EDGE

3G: 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz, UMTS / HSPA+

4G:  800, 850, 900, 1800, 2100, 2600 MHz

• drnewcomb2

I think your description of what's happening got a bit confabulated. T-Mobile isn't dropping any frequencies. They are maximizing the use of the frequencies (bands) they have by converting as much as possible to wide-band LTE. This means that where they used to have 10x10 MHz of 1900 (a.k.a. PCS, band 2) dedicated to GSM & UMTS (a.k.a. HSPA+, WCDMA) in NYC, they now converted that 10x10 MHz to LTE with a couple of 200 kHz GSM voice channels running in the guard-bands. I think in NYC, they moved the remaining UMTS service to an odd 5x5 MHz slice in the AWS (a.k.a. band 4) band. Not sure what they've done in Boston.

T-Mobile also has currently band 12 LTE (700 MHz) service in many markets and has just recently acquired new 600 MHz licenses, nationwide, and initiated the first 600 MHz service in Cheyenne, WY, even though the first phones for 600 MHz (band 71) won't be available 'till Q4. 600 MHz will be phased in over several years as TV stations above channel 36 are relocated to lower channels.

Getting back to your issue. Assuming that T-Mobile converted their 1900 MHz licenses in Boston to LTE, maybe moving the remaining UMTS to band-4, then your phone is left relying on the remaining 2G GSM on 1900.  Here are some options:

1) Assuming you don't want to leave T-Mobile. Get a cheap T-Mobile phone to use for the next year until some good options show up for phones with band-71.

2) If you don't mind leaving T-Mobile but would like to return: Port your service to AT&T (or Cricket) using your existing phone until such time as 600 MHz phones become available, then port back. This is assuming that AT&T is retaining some U1900 service.

If you do a lot of overseas travel, be aware that some cheap T-Mobile phones have no international 3G/4G bands and you'll want to swap the SIM into your current phone when abroad.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the subject. Take them for what they are worth to you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • magenta2144720

I'm trying out a Samsung Galaxy S7. I have fast data again. It is G4 LTE (10.5 Mbps). That's 80x faster than the rendered-nearly-useless (0.13 Mbps) speed to which T-Mobile relegated me and my Galaxy S4.

I know I brought my own phone to T-Mobile, but why is it okay for them to render my Galaxy S4 nearly unusable. The telephone part worked, but that's what I use the least. The data was so slow as to render it unusable/worthless, despite the fact that I was paying for (and "receiving") unlimited data.

• drnewcomb2

It's a tough call. T-Mobile does not have so much spectrum that they are able to leave a lot of it dedicated to legacy technologies. A few years ago they moved the 3G service in my local are from AWS (band-4) to PCS (band-3) in order to deploy LTE on band-4 this left my TM-506 phone without any 3G, and this was a T-Mobile branded phone. They've always had this disclaimer that says that you're more than welcome to BYOD and we'll try to help you with generic settings but, in the end, you're on your own. There are hundreds of 3rd-party phones available on the Internet and when you look at the specs, it's amazing that they can be used at all, because they have mostly European/Asian bands. We frequently get questions here from someone who has or is looking to buy one of these phones and have to warn them away in very uncertain terms. With BYOD, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

1 of 1 people found this helpful