Coverage in Jammu India

214-566-8059

I need answer to this urgently..There is conflicting info about TM working in J&K state in India. I would like to make sure that I would get my SMS texts in Jammu. It's been reported that rest of india sims don't work there but how about TM? The networks there are Airtel, Vodafone, Aircel BSNL. Thanks

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Coverage in Jammu India

T-Mobile doesn't claim any coverage in Jammu. Udhampur is as close as they do claim coverage.

You can find their claimed roaming coverage by going here  and entering "India".

It may be a good idea to try to find a local SIM or an international prepaid SIM that claims coverage there.

Of course, you can pick up your texts whenever you hit an open WiFi hotspot.

P.S. Piranha Mobile claims to roam both Reliance and Aircel in India. They might be a good choice.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 214-566-8059

Thanks drnewcomb2 for a quick reply. If I am in a WIFI area, would I be able to retrieve my text messages? If so, that would work for me. Just want to be sure. I will be in a hotel with WIFI..Also, would I be able to call when within WIFI. Your answer would be greatly appreciated.

• drnewcomb2

I'll answer with a qualified "yes". The qualifications are that you must use a device that supports T-Mobile's WiFi Calling (e.g. any phone T-Mobile sells, recent iPhones, etc.), WiFi Calling must be turned on and that the WiFi provider must not block (firewall) the ports used by WiFi Calling. Really, I always recommend that any international traveler have a backup plan such as an unlocked phone and a prepaid international SIM (e.g. Piranha Mobile) or local prepaid SIM. There are frequent complaints from people traveling in India about being unable to roam. Honestly, international roaming has so many moving parts that have to mesh just right,  that it amazes me when it works at all.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 214-566-8059

Yes I will have the iphone used in USA with TM service. I was concerned that I would be completely blacked out there because I read that in the state of J&K they allow only postpaid services. I will have access to WIFI though. It will save me a lot of hassle if I can just retrieve my texts from USA. Will I be able to call too on WIFI? Thanks for your support.

• drnewcomb2

214-566-8059 wrote:

.....  Will I be able to call too on WIFI?.....

Another qualified "yes". Provided that the WiFi signal is strong enough, the Internet connection fast enough and the ports not blocked. Incoming calls and calls  to the US will be free on WiFi. I'm not 100% sure of what local calls within India or calls to 3rd countries will cost. I suggest having backup plans, and that includes extra ways to make WiFi calls, such as Google Hangouts, Skype-Out or Viber.

It's perfectly possible that when you get to Jammu, you will find that T-Mobile's map is out of data and that you can roam perfectly well but it's best not to assume.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • miket

Is it a TM branded phone? Test it while in U.S. to see if you can make a wifi call here.  If you can, you should be able to make wifi call there.