Coverage plan for NE of Denver

cdlar

I moved to a community NE of Denver  about a year ago and have been continually frustrated by the lack of or at best poor coverage TMobile offers in the area. With our family plan, we have iPhone 5, 6 and 7s and have no limited voice coverage in our house, no data coverage. As we travel to Brighton in one direction, Stapleton in the other, we often end up with no coverage.

Why is this? What are the plans to improve the network in these areas?

Right now there is simply no value to my monthly service plan based on the services I am able to receive in and around my home.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Coverage plan for NE of Denver

I don't know T-Mobile's plans but would ask if there's much of a difference between the iPhone 5 & 6 vs the 7? iPhone 5 & 6 don't have access to T-Mobile's 700 MHz (band-12) service, which is what T-Mobile uses to provide wide-area service.

• tmo_mike_c

That's a bummer cdlar . No coverage, is no bueno. Has it always been like this? Is there anywhere in these cities where you do get coverage? In order to see what coverage you should be getting, have you looked up exact address using our coverage map? One thing you could try on the phones is making sure that the software is up to date also. That'll make sure the phones' internal workings are in order. Please give us a holler back and keep us posted on this. Thanks!

• cdlar

Thanks for the response. Its definitely not a specific handset issue as there are three handsets in my house with similar issues. Of the three, iPhone 5,6 and 7+, only the 7+ has any signal at all in the house, but still no signal in the shopping and dining areas nearby. So, it looks like a newer phone will help with service in my house, but it still looks like a poor network build out in this area. My work phone, an iPhone 6 operating on the Verizon network and experiences none of the outages or poor signal symptoms that my TMobile devices do.

I guess I'm looking for a reason to stay with TMobile; I've been a subscriber for many years, but without knowing what investments/improvements will be made to the network in my community. I am hard pressed to stick with it. Therefore the question - what are the plans to build out the network in this area?  

• j.a.r.v.i.s

cdlar - I have some problems in my home, wifi calling helps when the signal drops down too low, but is not always an option.  Band 12 is definitely a good thing if you have iPhone 6+ or higher (among other Android phones).  I can say it definitely helps.  Also, check out the OpenSignal coverage pages to see if you just happen to be in a dead spot or if it's something with your service specifically.

This data is built from real user testing...

And of course mountains and buildings cause poor signal strength

• cdlar

Picture of the network in my area not too pretty:

• j.a.r.v.i.s

That area on the right looks pretty bad - when you select Verizon for the same map, it looks much better...zooming out, that area seems to be a hole for TMo - ATT even has the same hole, but VZ and Sprint seem to be better in that area...tough call...no way I'm going Red...but no signal is not workable.

Long term, T-Mo is planning to light up 600Mhz starting somewhat soon (second half of 2017), but no phone has that capability yet and no roll-out plans have been made official.  TMo does tend to turn on their network quickly and their network is growing.

What are your signal strengths (OpenSignal App Advanced mode will give you the readings)?  Looks for something higher than -100dBm, but ideally closer to -90dBm.  I typically get about -105dBm in my poor area which allows me to take calls and get tolerable speed.  Note that a smaller number is a higher value since it's negative (less negative is better).  Perfect is right around  -70dBm.

Industrial Networking Solutions Tips and Tricks: Making Sense of Signal Strength/Signal Quality Readings for Cellular Mo…

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • tmo_marissa

Hey, cdlar! Since you put up the more detailed OpenSignal view, I popped that into our internal map and I don't show any plans scheduled at this time. That doesn't mean that there aren't any coming in the future; but if there were something slated to be on air within the next month or so, we'd typically get a notification of such when we looked at the map. That said, j.a.r.v.i.s is right about the 600 MHz spectrum we recently scored -- we plan to roll it out ASAP, and are hoping to be able to offer compatible devices as early as Q4 of this year.
                    It does look like the strongest LTE we have in that area is going to be 700 MHz/Band 12, which would explain why your newer iPhone is getting in-home coverage that the older devices aren't picking up. I know this won't change the current coverage in the shopping and dining areas you mentioned, but have you considered a coverage device to help with the in-home experience for your older iPhones? If you've got high speed internet at home, a 4G LTE CellSpot might be a great fit for you!

- Marissa