w/S6 (Not Edge) Since Nougat, Voicemails Turn-On LTE

tominsd

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched first & didn't find anything. Ever since receiving the S6 Nougat update a few months back, I've been having a problem that's driving me crazy.

I spend most of the day on WiFi (at home and the office), but whenever I get a voicemail, LTE turns-on, too. Not just for a moment or two. It literally comes-on, and stays-on (in addition to WiFi, not instead of WiFi).

Both icons show activity (both radios appear to be on), and there's no way to shut-off the LTE (that I've found) other than to reboot the phone. And until I do, battery drain is insane (losing about 1% every 30 seconds-or-so).

I can't tell if this bug is triggered when the initial voicemail notification is received, or if it's after Visual Voicemail fetches the message a moment later, but either way... 100% of the voicemails I receive trigger this bug, and force me to reboot.

Any ideas?

All replies

• tmo_chris

Hey there! That is a crazy amount of battery drain! You could go from %100 - %0 in less than 1 hour at that rate. I have actually never seen a battery drain that severe when the phone is using both the cell network and the Wi-Fi network at the same time. Since this issue only popped up after getting the Nougat update, we will want to try a few things with your phone to see if we can whip it back into shape before processing an exchange.

The first thing I want you to try is wiping the phones cache partition. This will refresh the phones memory and hopefully get the phone to stop killing your battery like this.

If you continue to have this issue after the cache wipe, we may need to move on to a master reset. The master reset will put the phone back to the factory settings that the device had when we tested the Nougat update and did not see this specific VM triggering the LTE to kick on forever and killing your battery.

Please give these things a try and let me know how it goes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey there! I'm with Chris -- this battery drain (and the VM - to - VoLTE trigger) are bananas! How is everything going? Were you able to complete a cache wipe with any success, or did you move forward with a master reset?

- Marissa

• tmo_amanda

What a bizarre situation, tominsd! We really want to get this sorted out for you. Please take a look at tmo_chris ' reply as there are a few steps we'd like you to try. Once you've gone through them, let us know how your S6 is working.