REVVL: Am I reading this right?

drnewcomb2

Looking at the specs for the recently-announced T-Mobile REVVL, it looks like the phone lacks any 3G/4G support on non-North-American bands. Most notably lacking band-1 UMTS. This would mean that this phone simply will not work in Japan, S. Korea and Singapore; and would provide a poor experience in most other countries where 2G is being depreciated as rapidly as it is here. One would think that T-Mobile learned their lesson with the Leon and Galaxy Prime. Someone please tell me I'm wrong and the specs just failed to include those bands.

All replies

• gramps28

Re: REVVL: Am I reading this right?

I haven't seen the full specs of the phone but Tmobile is coming out with a phone from coolpad that may have what you're looking for.

T-Mobile Alchemy leak reveals another upcoming own-brand Android phone - TmoNews

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • drnewcomb2

Not a lot to sink one's teeth into, there. Since my current phone(s) have at LTE band-12 and UMTS band 1, I'm going to hold off until something comes out with band-71 and some decent international roaming capabilities. I'll be just a bit disappointed if it turns out that T-Mobile has released yet another phone lacking true global roaming capabilities.

• I think that both of these phones are T-mobile's attempt to get more people on T-Mobile at a more reasonable price whereas the other carriers may not have devices that they push exclusively with this supposed price range.

Basically this is T-Mobile saying come to our Network here's a cheap phone to get you started.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey drnewcomb2 I did check the specs on our Tech specs: T-Mobile REVVL  page with the ones we have internally. They are showing the same bands so you're not missing anything. Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for.

• drnewcomb2

That's OK Mike, I plan to wait for a phone with 600 MHz. My current phone's holding up just fine. I just find it hard to believe that T-Mobile offers a phone without U2100. Particularly since the international roaming information pages for Singapore and S. Korea don't seem to understand that current non-U2100 phones (e.g. Leon) won't work in those countries. Here comes another phone that's not truly capable of global roaming.

• This could be a lot like all the other low and mid-range phones that compromise Network capabilities across carriers and countries for the sacrifice of the price. Take the ZTE phones that T-Mobile sells they only have three or four bands and don't roam well even on domestic carriers. Also it's a T-Mobile branded phone so most likely is only going to work on Stateside T-Mobile. However I do believe that if this phone is to be used as a tool to bring in more customers in a way that is financially viable it should appeal to the use of everyone whether they are Flagship people or budget people. So I think you have a good point with the limitations that this phone has and most likely the T-Mobile Alchemy phone may also have.

• mrmet

Sorry to jump in this thread months after.  I, too, travel to Korea and just got a Revvl.  The international page "does this device work" in Korea states that, yes, the Revvl will work in Korea.  After reading this thread, I called support.  Support also confirmed the Revvl will work in Korea.  So, the $64 question is:  will it work in Korea or should I return the phone (we travel often to Korea)?

• marvelous1

Just want to confirm that this phone WILL NOT work in Japan.

Was told by customer service that it would.  They tried changing different settings, adding different APN, reset on their side, had me do full reset to factory settings; this phone will not connect to any service/carrier here in Japan

Note: the phone seemed to work fine in Canada but nothing (e.g., not even the expected "welcome to Japan" message) in Japan.  We also verified that the SIM card worked just fine in one of our party's other phones

• pookihoo

Revvel does not work in Taiwan either, despite the spec claims that it covers all bands. I had used many other phones but really frustrated and disappointed in this one. I travel frequently, and this is the first time ever having a new phone not compatible with international SIM 2G sim card!! The representative is not knowledgeable about the phone specs (or international coverage), and she tries to sell me another plan to cover international travel instead of resolving the hardware issue.