Unable to Unlock S8+

magenta2306801

Alright, so ever since switching to T-mobile a few months back I've had nothing but issues from Customer Service/Support.

My problem now is that I'm trying to get my devices unlocked and I'm getting nowhere..

Small back story:

Phones to be purchased though T-Mobile required a 80% up front deposit with a near perfect credit score, thought that was absurd so I purchased devices outright from Samsung.

Try to get phones unlocked and it's the battle of customer service T-Mobile refuses to unlock since the IMEI is not in the system (understandable due to logestics)

Samsung won't unlock since it is a TMobile/Carrier thing and is not their problem.

So I'm sitting here with two phones, ready to switch back carriers and sitting with two phones being held "hostage"

Anyone have an idea or which department to actually speak with to get this straightened out? I'm at my wits end with T-Mobile and ready to switch back to my original carrier

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Unable to Unlock S8+

Are the phones model #G950T?

• magenta2306801

955U

• drnewcomb2

The 955U supposed to be the US unlocked version of the phone. If you bought it directly from Samsung and it locked itself to your T-Mobile SIM, Samsung must be using something akin to Apple's Reseller Flex policy. I'd press the issue with Samsung until they rectify the situation. You bought an unlocked phone, it should stay unlocked.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • tidbits

All S8/S8+ in the US are 950/955U devices.

You have to look at the Firmware version to see the difference

You will see TMB for T-Mobile ATT for AT&T, VZW for Verizon Wireless, and SPT(i think( for Sprint).

The real problem is when Samsung sells on their website they give devices that are not tied to a carrier even if the firmware is for that carrier.  They don't send them to carriers to import into the database.  Since they don't carriers don't know if they are real or "belong" to them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • gramps28

Have you tried contacting T-Mobile through social media like facebook or twitter?

• tmo_mike_c

Sorry this has been such a headache for you magenta2306801.  Have you tried to Contact Us and see if our T-Force folks can take a look at this further? As long as the device meets all the requirements on our Unlock your mobile wireless device page, you should be fine.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey magenta2306801.

Our community members have given some really great advice. I'm just checking in to see if you've come back to check on these suggestions and if you got this resolved. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

• magenta2306801

Not really a whole lot of great suggestions..

I've contacted both Samsung and T-Mobile about this and neither can seem to help.. It is locked to the T-mobile network, otherwise I wouldn't be here looking for help.

IMEI may not have gone through T-Mobile warehouses etc, but it's still locked on their network and needs a code from them to unlock.

So at the moment I'm essentially stuck with 2k in phones, that will be paperweights when I switch back to my original carrier

• tidbits

T-Mobile wouldn't have the "unlock code" without Samsung giving them the IMEI and the code.  Something you need to think about.

• magenta2306801

Something to think about- There are systems in place for these situations... Unfortunately it's just finding the representative to take that extra 5-10 minutes of work to start the process

• tidbits

What systems in place?

Samsung makes the unlock codes, and makes the IMEI so what system is there?  Everything has to be done through Samsung side.

If Samsung doesn't give the carrier the IMEI and the unlock code the carriers are not going to know who it belongs to.  All Samsung needs to do is send that information over and viola the problem is fixed.  OF course easier to blame the carrier because it's the easiest for you to contact even if they have NO CONTROL on what Samsung decides to do.

• magenta2306801

You basically just answered your own question..

Carrier rep sends in request/support ticket

Manufacturer responds to support ticket within 5 business days

Carrier rep then helps customer

It HAS to be done on the carrier side.. Plain and simple

• tidbits

It's the other way around man.  No person can put in a request to Samsung from T-Mobile's side.  It has to be by Samsung side.  Samsung sends codes when they send the shipments to carriers to input into the database.  They don't do that with the ones THEY sell from themselves is what the problem is.

If you need to know why it's done one way and not the other.

Someone steals a bunch of phones, and someone puts in a bunch of phony requests.  Devices get unlocked and can be sold as unlocked devices.  To stop this from happening Manufacturers do it ONE WAY.

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, this is rough. I'm thinking it's not getting unlocked because it's not showing up in our system so we can whitelist it. Does this device have the Mobile Device Unlock: Samsung Galaxy S8+ app installed? If not, T-Mobile may not be able to unlock this one for you.

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see if you have heard anything back from our T-Force team. Let us know

• magenta2306801

I have heard nothing back..

T-Mobile reps have either lied to get me off the line, stone-walled me, or have hung up over this issue..

I'm more annoyed than anything

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, that's really surprising. Our T-Force folks are usually very good about getting back to customers pretty quickly. Did you use FB or Twitter or have you only tried calling in?

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going? Typically T-Force replies within 15 minutes so it is very odd if you did not get a reply from them. I will send you a private message so I can get your Facebook url or Twitter handle and see what the hold up is.

• magenta2306801

Honestly, I'm tired of dealing with customer service reps.. I've also tried T-Force on Facebook with other issues I wasn't able to get help with.. So I really don't have faith in the 90% of useless reps I've had the pleasure of dealing with.

I'll just either continue paying for my service. Or sell these phones for a decent loss and switch when AT&T has a BOGO offer.

I'm honestly done trying to work through any of my issues with T-Mobile. It is no longer worth the effort

I've even told the reps EXACTLY how to do it within the system (from different replies from T-Force on twitter with other users) who have had success.

• tmo_chris

We do not want to see you go! What did T-Force say was the specific reason you could not have your phones unlocked?

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there!

We still wanna help you out with this. What exactly were you told by T-Force when you messaged them? Please let us know. Thanks!

• tmo_marissa

Hey there, magenta2306801! Reading over this thread is a big bummer. I have to say I'm super confused as to how factory unlocked android devices are locked to T-Mobile; in my experience when you purchase unlocked equipment directly from the manufacturer without indicating which carrier you're intending to use the device with, that equipment should remain unlocked. In situations where customers purchase T-Mobile branded equipment directly from the MFR, it's true that we won't have the IMEI in our database in order to provide a code or complete an app unlock, and would have to follow an escalation process for an unlock request -- these are sent to an offline team who can complete them and we have a procedure we follow, which sometimes requires a proof of purchase. Was our T-Force team advising that they were following these steps, and if so, did they explain what response we'd received from the offline team? We'd hate to see you go, but ultimately if you need to unlock your equipment because you've chosen to get service elsewhere we at least want to part on good terms by making sure we've done all we can to help.

- Marissa

• j.a.r.v.i.s

I'm not quite seeing the issue here...if you bought a TMB or Unlocked phone from Samsung, they should work when you put your T-Mobile SIM card in.  I did this with a Best Buy branded G955U and it worked fine except for DIGITS support.   However if you had a previous carrier SIM in your unlocked S8+ before you put your TMO sim card in, maybe it did lock...

I found an article over on XDA developers that describes what Samsung does with the S8/S8+ software  - Force Hard Reset on SIM Insert | Samsung Galaxy S8

Basically - when you insert the SIM, it locks to the carrier and installs the carrier specifics.   My understanding is that if you insert another SIM, it should factory reset the phone and the install the new SIM carrier specifics...but sounds like yours is not doing that?

This seems to be Samsung specific, as Nexus phones transfer over quite easily between carriers...moved a Nexus 6P from ATT to TMO to VZ with no issues.