Has 3G service been eliminated in NYC?

magenta1402798

Hi.

About 3 weeks ago or so my LG 450 tmobile pay as you go phone, which is a flip phone, started showing an "E" in the signal area on the screen. It normally always shows "3G". My understanding is the E stands for Edge network. Since this change, my call service is terrible and unusable. I can receive calls and make calls but everything is garbled and then dropped. I do have a couple of smartphones which can use 4G which does work, but I prefer the flip phone.

I called tmobile tech support about this and they said there is an issue in NYC which should be resolved soon. This was after already experiencing this for 2 weeks. It is now another week later. This seems awfully long for some tower that is having an issue.

When I went to a coverage site to look up 3G coverage in NYC, it showed basically no coverage or only microscopic pockets - over a huge area - multiple boroughs. My question is have 3G been eliminated or is that the plan and this is early stages?

My zip is 11106 and I'm in Queens NYC.

I'd like to know because I prefer flip phones and there are not many 4g flip phones available for tmobile (and the ones that are don't look so good). I may have to consider other options. Thanks.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Has 3G service been eliminated in NYC?

all carriers are moving their 2G, 3G, 4G networks into 4GLTE/5G networks for future proofing.  It's been advertised in press conferences and such for all carriers at some point.  Eventually basic phones seems to be being phased out due to this.  Also plans are all now bundled with data that it does make sense.

• magenta1402798

Appreciate your response but I still would like to hear from someone at Tmobile about this. Is 3G gone now (in NYC, manhattan and queens etc) or is there some massive tower outage affecting a good part of the state that is going to be fixed when? I was told that it was a tower issue and would be working soon. It's going on a month with this issue so soon doesn't seem to be accurate. Also, like I said, looking at coverage map shows 3g to be non existent in my area and way beyond. Just want to know what the truth is from someone at tmobile. Thanks!

• magenta1402798

Okay so I went to a local tmobile store and they told me that there will no longer be any 3g service. So I might look into tracfone which also uses att and they have a lot of phone options. Thanks.

• magenta1402798

I found out more about it. Here is a link:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1895309-T-Mobile-UMTS-HSPA-Shutdown

According to this 3G still exists in NYC, it's just only on AWS and my LG 450 doesn't support AWS 3G so it goes to Edge/2G which is truly unusable. They killed off PCS UMTS. Tmobile only has one other flip phone the pricey alcatel and I'd rather stick with the LG form so I found another option.

• magenta1402798

I've read that 3G is used for voice calls and data. I don't use data in any case on my lg 450.

For sure with my LG 450, now that it can only get a 2g edge signal and no longer a 3g signal like it used to, voice no longer works/functions.

So if 3g is just used for data.. then why with its absence does my voice/calling no longer functions adequately?

I bought a tracphone which I believe uses tmob and att and now I have a nice strong 3g signal and its very clear.

Great website too.

• magenta1402798

Let me put it this way. When my phone got a 3g signal, voice calls worked very well - they were relatively clear. When I lost this signal due to the situation described above in that link, and only got an Edge signal, I lost my ability to make quality calls - the call quality is terrible and garbled, the calls get dropped,  etc. So obviously the 3g signal played some role in the better voice calls I used to be able to get.

• tidbits

You don't have to believe me, but something tells me something else happened other than it was because your device was 3G, and they stopped 3G support in your area.  It could be simply taxing the network since more people are on 2G, but if they were on LTE shouldn't be much of a problem.  I don't think many people are running 2G in NY compared to 2 years ago.  It could be the roaming agreement that was also in place finally ran out.  There's like so many factors to go through to know.

like I said calls are made over 2G or GPRS. It gets handed off to it because the data core can't handle the calls. This is why all the techies wanted LTE over 2G/3G aside from the speeds you get from it. Having LTE allows 1 radio handling both which in theory would improve battery life, and if all spectrum is switched to LTE there is better overall coverage which also helps improves battery life. This was long debated with a blunt object since the introduction of Wimax, and LTE.  Then the discussion got even more heated with LTEA.

With 2G it's either or when it comes to calls or data.  even picture messages will be delayed until the call is finished. So if you are on a call and you can't use data that's the reason why.  If you are talking calls in general then it could be one of many things like more people are clogging up 2G channels than before.  Maybe since the switch the Core needs some tweaking to settings/code to make it work better.

• magenta1402798

Okay then, it is for data. Maybe the  loss the of the 3g is overtaxing the 2g (is that used for both voice and data?) and it results in poor voice calls and poor everything.. I don't know. I just know the phone doesn't work.

• magenta1402798

No I appreciate it I'm just a little aggravated with the whole thing - sorry. When I called tmobile, they told me the reason the call quality was so bad was because they were working on some towers and this was an ongoing thing and it was just real vague about what exactly is going on and when it would be back to normal. This call quality issue started very soon after I noticed the weird E which I had never seen before on the phone. Then when I went into a store, they said the call quality issue is because of the loss of 3g and me only having edge service and I should upgrade the phone etc. Basically the edge network is not so good (but I was using it before?) and that I need to get a 4g device. It's possible i misunderstood them.

I got a tracfone today that runs on tmob and att network and it's great. I assume it is running on att network because if it was tmobile I imagine it would be the same poor call quality as on the lg450. Maybe it is something else - maybe the phone or some other network issue and its a conincidence etc and not the 2g network I don't know. In any case it ended up a good thing because I like what i changed to. I still have a 4g lte phone I'll probably keep on tmobile, that one works pretty good.

• tidbits

AT&T is retiring their 2G network, and soon everything will be running 4G.  I think when that happens Basic phones will be out the door unless manufacturers start producing basic phones with LTE radios.  This will be hard pressed due to the amount of money they make off smart phones.

• magenta1402798

I've read that AT&T's 2G network has already been retired - it was shut down in the beginning of 2017. So then my new LG442BG phone must be using T-mobiles 2g network for voice calls? Would that be Edge or are there different 2G networks? But yet the 2g network (edge) did not work with the tmobile LG450 and the call quality was beyond terrible, garbled and dropped (and it had been great for a while up to it showed an E instead of 3G). I tried tmobile sim on two different tmobile LG 450's and it was the same. This tracfone 3G LG442BG phone works great - good call quality.

• magenta1402798

Btw, there already are a few feature phones (flip phones) available with 4G LTE. T-mobile has one in their line up. I'm sure if there is demand they will make them. Not everyone wants a huge internet device in their pocket all the time.

• tidbits

One out of how many manufacturers is the problem.  There will be a small selection out there from often chinese manufacturers, but be hard pressed to see one outside of those guys.  It's the same thing with Windows Phone users make.  they had less than 4% of the total market share, and declining.  As you can see now there's only the same manufacturer Alcatel outside of Microsoft that makes Windows Phones last I remember.

AT&T 2G network isn't completely retired just in some areas.  The reason being NVMO agreements as well as state/government agreements will have to die out and made new agreements before they can retired all of it.  Same will go for the other carriers.

• magenta1402798

Little more than just one ...there is the LG exalt lte on Verizon - not the most obsure chinese brand there...there is the ZTE symbal - this is on tracfone and I believe others, there is the flip by alcatel on tmobile, ... so I mean even today there are options made by various manufacturers.

I don't think windows phone ever went higher than 5-6% marketshare and was around 2% for a while and is now like less than .05. There are a lot of reasons for this many of them to do with microsofts management and support of its mobile phone business and windows 10 mobile. They are or will be featuring/selling a samsung Android phone in their stores ... I have a couple of unlocked lumia 640's that I picked up real cheap that work very well. I also have a tmobile 635 that I think tmobile carried for like 2 months and then dropped (this is a while ago). They never released a denim firmware upgrade for the phone as did att and others.

That said besides the alcatel idol 4s there is the HP elite x3

I wonder if there is still major att 2g support in NYC if what you say is true because the call quality is pretty good on this new tracfone LG phone everywhere while the tmobile 450 call quality was no good anywhere once the E showed up.

I'm pretty sure if the call quality of the phone changes due to shifting 2g support I will have other 4g lte flip phone/feature phone options just like I do today.