Switch from Verizon to TMobile with Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

snapple220

Earlier this week I switched from Verizon to T-mobile with a Samsung Galaxy S4.  I was told that I would not have any problems switching and my device would work fine.  I do not want a new phone at this time.  So here are my questions/issues.  Please bear in mind that I am not especially tech savvy.

1). Cannot access voicemail.

2). Constantly have message that SIM card is not Verizon's.

3). Doesn't update email as quickly and will not send emails with pictures.  I have pics on my phone that I want on my iPad so I email them to myself.  It will not allow me to send.

4). Phone keeps making notification sounds but nothing is received.  If I turn off sounds, my phone will turn on from sleeping mode.  It does this about every 20 to 30 minutes.

No issues with basic phone calls.  I don't know about text....I have only sent short texts without pics since switching.

I am beginning to wish that I had not switched, even though Verizon was incredibly expensive.  I may have to go to ATandT or Straight Talk.  I feel that the TMobile guy was just deceptive.  If I have to buy a new phone, it will certainly NOT be from TMobile.  Or maybe it's true....seems like you really do get what you pay for.  

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me!!!

All replies

• tidbits

snapple220 wrote:

Earlier this week I switched from Verizon to T-mobile with a Samsung Galaxy S4. I was told that I would not have any problems switching and my device would work fine. I do not want a new phone at this time. So here are my questions/issues. Please bear in mind that I am not especially tech savvy.

1). Cannot access voicemail.

2). Constantly have message that SIM card is not Verizon's.

3). Doesn't update email as quickly and will not send emails with pictures. I have pics on my phone that I want on my iPad so I email them to myself. It will not allow me to send.

4). Phone keeps making notification sounds but nothing is received. If I turn off sounds, my phone will turn on from sleeping mode. It does this about every 20 to 30 minutes.

No issues with basic phone calls. I don't know about text....I have only sent short texts without pics since switching.

I am beginning to wish that I had not switched, even though Verizon was incredibly expensive. I may have to go to ATandT or Straight Talk. I feel that the TMobile guy was just deceptive. If I have to buy a new phone, it will certainly NOT be from TMobile. Or maybe it's true....seems like you really do get what you pay for.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me!!!

1. Download T-Mobile VVM.  Verizon hardcodes the voicemail button to their number. 

2.  That's Verizon having the manufacturer hard code that message.

3.  Did you setup the APN to get internet?  You shouldn't have a problem as it is independent of cellular providers.

4.  That sounds like a device problem.  You are the first person on these forums to have this problem using an unlocked phone.  I suspect it has something to do with Question number 2 and it sending a reminder.

In terms of "Not have any problems"  is calls, text, and data.  Carrier branded device unlocked can do those things.  THe problem arises with hard code that gets implemented.  You'd have the same problems if you took your phone to AT&T or any other carrier.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

I'm not entirely sure of this but the Verizon Note 4 may have issues in some recently "upgraded" markets (e.g. NYC), where UMTS as either been eliminated or moved to band-4. I understand that their may be compatibility issues between Verizon's "HD Voice" and T-Mobile's VoLTE, which might cause issues with calling in some markets. If you travel and find that you have trouble making and receiving calls, keep this in mind. YMMV.

• tmo_chris

Hey snapple220

This is not the foot we want you to start off on with us I wanted to check in here with you to see how things were going? Were the suggestions that tidbits posted of any help? Number 4 on your list is a super weird issue. I wonder if you were to put your phone in Safe Mode would these random notification sounds stop? This will at least help us narrow down what could possibly be triggering these notification sounds.

• tmo_marissa

Hiya, snapple220! We just wanted to check in here to see how things were going. Did you have a chance to give Safe Mode a shot? Please let us know if the feedback and suggestions on this thread were helpful!

- Marissa

• tmo_amanda

Good morning, snapple220!

I wanted to check-in with you one last time to see if you've had the chance to try the suggestions that tidbits and tmo_chris recommended. If not, please give them a shot then update us how things are working out.

• magenta3884801

I have the same exact problems only double. I switch 2 Verizon Galaxy S4 through Costco. The Costco salesman worked an hour with T-Mobile support. Thought it was working. Could not send or receive messages on either phone. Work 55 minutes with 2nd lever support. Worked for 10 minutes. Went back to Costco. another salesman worked for over 1 hour with T-Mobile support. Gave up. I called support Was transferred to the cancellation department. Account canceled.  T-Mobile said they can't make the phones work with T-Mobile.

It's BS when T-Mobile says they can make an unlocked phone work on T-Mobile. Wasted a lot of time.

• landonloco

You can use an unlocked device on t mobile you just have to make sure that you have the correct bands/frequencies on your phone the primary bands are band 2,4 and 12 you also have to make sure that the phone is GSM so it can work properly with the network, CDMA devices can work on t mobile some of them supports both CDMA and GSM but the ones that doesn't support CDMA might have trouble in connecting to t mobile due to different protocols that CDMA use