Releasing phone number

ellebee

Hi!  I am divorcing soon, and trying to figure out a way for soon-to-be-ex husband to keep his phone number without altering my existing plan.

My account:

Simple Choice 2 lines for $100

2 "free" lines deal- 1 voice/1 data

I am the sole account holder, with no "authorised users".

From what I understand, the # is attached to the line.  I plan to keep my line, as any changes will nullify the "free" lines, so the "release of liability" method is not an option.

Could I change the phone number on my existing line and have the old number "reserved" to allow him to start a new plan with TmobIle in his name?  Any suggestions or workarounds to this issue? 

I feel this should be a standard option, as it does NOT create 'false churn' but instead creates more business for Tmobile, and would benefit many customers going through life transitions.

All replies

• gramps28

Re: Releasing phone number

I actually just did this a couple of years ago and back then you just needed to let Tmobile

which number was being ported out then once it been done replace the line with a different number.

• ellebee

Unfortunately, I am not willing to port the number out, as it would cancel the other two "free" lines.  My question was seeking a workaround to this issue, possibly by changing the number on the line so as to release his number back into Tmobile's queue of available numbers.  It seems logical that the company should then be able to reassign this specific number to his new account. 

• tidbits

No matter what carrier you go with it will cancel the line when porting out.  Some people have tried initiating the port and shortly right after change the phone number of that line. Some people it worked and some people it failed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • gramps28

Have you tried using social media to contact Tforce to see if there's a work around?

• tmo_chris

Hey ellebee,

We want to help make this transition as painless as possible for you. With that being said, your scenario is going to require some delicate account maintenance to ensure things go smoothly. I think it would be best if you were to reach out to our T-Force team on Facebook or Twitter as  gramps28 suggested as they will be able to pull up your account and look over all the options.