Signal Problem

wonsuklee

Hello I live in New York. My family and I are using T mobile by prepaying it. I have no problem with T-mobile service but my brother and father have problem with service. Their phone calling, internet accessing and texting does not work. I went to T mobile store to find out the reason and the manager told me that there is a problem with T-mobile service in my area and they are trying to fix it. It's been a week that my father and brother having a problem with T-mobile service and I want to know when T-mobile will finish fixing the signal problem.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Signal Problem

There have been a number of recent reports of issues in the NYC market from people who use older or BYOD phones. The issue seems to be that T-Mobile recently reorganized their signals in NYC to get the most LTE possible. They appear to have moved their UMTS/HSPA+ signal to an extra bit of the AWS (a.k.a. 1700 MHz, band 4) spectrum. People using older phones like the iPhone 4 (and earlier) and some phones lacking VoLTE or AWS UMTS capability have experienced exactly this problems you describe. It looks like your options are:

1. Leave NYC

2. Change to AT&T or an AT&T MVNO (e.g. Cricket)

3. Get a modern phone that has all the bands and standards that T-Mobile uses.

I could tell you more if I knew what phones were causing problems.

BTW, T-Mobile doesn't have enough spectrum in NYC to be able to leave things as they were. In such a densely populated area, they really have to optimize their network to the maximum extent possible. I do fault them for not using on-the-air means of determining which customers would be affected and sending them warning texts.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • drnewcomb2

P.S. It may be possible that a phone has VoLTE capability but it is turned off in the settings. This is the first thing to check if a newer phone is involved.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • tmo_chris

Hey there! Just checking in here to see how things are going? Are your brother and Father still having issues? If so, what kind of phones do they have and what ZIP code are they in?

• tmo_chris

Hey wonsuklee ,

It has been awhile since we last heard from you. How are things going?

• tmo_marissa

Hi, wonsuklee! drnewcomb2 is correct here -- we have done some redistribution with the network in certain areas in NY. If you're still having trouble with your family's signal, please let us know where you're located and what types of equipment they're using -- we'd love to help figure out if this is the cause of the problem!

- Marissa