Signal problem

kateri5

I recently started a new job at a hospital and I have no signal at all inside the hospital.  The hospital does have wi-fi but no TM signal.  I can access and use all of my apps on my phone (an iPhone 6+), use email, use the browser and send and receive texts from iPhone users using wi-fi. 

The problem is that I am having trouble sending and receiving texts from people who have non-iPhone phones.  I would think that I should be able to receive and send texts to these people via the wi-fi but it's not the case.

I've googled this problem and have found nothing that will help.  Can anyone help me solve this problem?  I have a cellspot in my house which has helped immensely but can't see that as an option at work!

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: Signal problem

Well lets see a couple of things here;

Just know that T-Mobile has 700Mhz low band spectrum (Band 12) in a lot of markets now.  Low band spectrum penetrates buildings better and the signal carries farther so if you have it in your market it will help with indoor coverage and also fills in the gaps for low signal areas.  Map of T-Mobile's 700 MHz spectrum - Spectrum Gateway

The bad news is that while most all phones that T-Mobile was selling or was due to come out at the time Band 12 was announced/launching Apple decided not to include that in the iPhone 6/6+ even though the put 20 other LTE bands in it.  It wasn't until the 6s/Ss+ line that iPhones included Band 12 support, so that of course won't solve your issue now but if you upgrade and your market has Band 12 you should see improvement.

Now the reason you are getting text messages to go thru to iPhone users only is it that rather than using cellular your iPhone is using data to route the messages thru iMessage.  You need to make sure you have the T-Mobile carrier update on your phone then in setting make sure Wi-Fi calling is enabled and set to either Wi-Fi preferred or cellular preferred.  As much as you rely on Wi-Fi I would suggest Wi-Fi preferred that way whenever you are on Wi-Fi it will use it to make voice and text calls whenever you have Wi-Fi.  Cellular preferred will always try to use cellular first then Wi-Fi but if it even thinks it has signal it will try cell so in your case that's why I think the former is a better option.

• kateri5

Steve,

Thank you for the reply.  How do I check to see if I have the TM carrier update on my phone?  My phone was originally with AT&T and I had to unlock it. 

• stevetjr

To be honest not sure how to specifically make sure it has the T-Mobile carrier update versus just the regular IOS update since I have never had (or will ever have LOL) and iPhone.  Here is link regarding the current versions and instructions how to update and this is just an assumption but with a TMO SIM in it if you update per this am guessing it will pull down the TMO carrier update.  If you scroll down the list you will see where is shows the latest carrier update version (which looks like it's been a while for that model) and would assume you can in the settings see what your current IOS and Carrier versions are.

Software updates: Apple iPhone 6

• kateri5

Steve,

Thank you for the good information.  I've updated my wi-fi calling on my phone.  How do you see whether the wi-fi calling is wi-fi preferred or cellular preferred?

Thanks so much!

Kateri

• stevetjr

In reading that link I sent it doesn't look like Apple gives you that option, but since I don't know them can't be sure I just know that is an option on the Android phones. Maybe someone can jump in to confirm that knows iPhones.

• tmo_chris

stevetjr is an iPhone hater! I had the G1....the brown one. The one they let employees order first back with Android first hit the streets. I owned over 15 different android devices since that phone and swore I would never get an iPhone. That is until I tried one out for a couple weeks, I had to teach myself how to use the phone cause i got so many questions on it. Now, I love the phone and the 7+ is my everyday carry phone

kateri5 - To ensure your Wi-Fi calling is active, you will need to make sure that you have an E911 address entered on your my.t-mobile.com account. If you have one set up, on the phone you will want to go to settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi calling > and make sure it is set to on. If you successfully enabled it, you will see T-Mobile Wi-Fi at the top of your phone next to the WiFi and signal strength. stevetjr is correct though, it's gonna be an on or off kind of thing as there is no option to set cellular or Wi-Fi preference.

• stevetjr

I wouldn't say hater LOL, maybe extreme non-liker ;-)   One of my big issues is with Apple in general and there attitude that everything is their idea and they sue everyone especially Samsung for the fact that smart phones are rectangles.  They claim everyone copies them when in fact they copy just as much stuff like I like to point out the pull down menu which was in Android from the beginning but it was IOS 3 or 4 if I remember.  So hypocrisy is a big no no in my book.  The other issue for me is the lack of individuality and/or customization with the iPhone, for the most part it is Apple's way or the highway.  Android doesn't do a lot of commercials but this one says it best IMHO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLhJIFC8xkY

But I do know that for some it is a great phone and does what they need, just not for me.  I guess I am a rebel LOL.

• tmo_chris

I'm just pulling your chain stevetjr I totally get what you are saying and I agree. NFC, water resistance, wireless charging.... lol. That was a pretty good commercial though! I never saw that one.

• stevetjr

I know that's why I made sure to put LOL's in it.  I can't believe you never saw that one, Android (Google) doesn't do that many they leave it up to the Manufacturer's to spend their marketing $$ :-) sort of like the manufacturers then do to the carriers!!  But it was a great commercial and when any of my friends, co-workers etc ask me what I thought the difference that is what I essentially told them.  iPhone; a bit more stable, timely updates (since Apple controls the entire process) and easier to navigate.  Android; a little less stable, updates can be a bit erratic (unless Nexus/Pixel), if you don't know Android well it is easy to get lost in the 100,000 ways to set it up (ie individualize) but also tend to get the latest tech since each manufacturer to differentiate themselves since the OS is the same (for the most part) is with hardware, thus NFC, Water resistance, Wireless Charging, Iris Scanning, etc.

• stevetjr

I should also add that if everything is current and you still aren't finding any options for Wi-Fi calling it may be that AT&T permanently hid them somehow since they didn't want their customers to know it was an option since their network didn't support it even though the phone did.  Here is a link on where the Wi-Fi call settings should be and how to adjust them.

Wi-Fi calling: Apple iPhone 6