Binge On using data with WatchESPN

magenta2178137

Hi there - when tethering to my phone hotspot watching WatchESPN with Binge On enabled, data is being counted on my tethering limit.  (I am certain I have Binge On enabled, I tested it using Netflix.)   It happens when using WatchESPN either on Amazon Fire TV app, web browser or iPad app.  Something seems to have changed in some setting on either the T-Mobile or ESPN side.  Has anyone else experienced this? Can T-Mobile advise?  Thanks!

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Binge On using data with WatchESPN

The problem when tethering if the item you are using is requesting higher than 480P it will count towards your bucket.  You will have to adjust settings with whatever you are using to ensure it does less 480P

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta2178137

Thank you for the reply.  I understand the 480p limitation for Binge On.  The 480p limit used to be automatically controlled either by T-Mobile or the WatchESPN app in the past.  That seems to have stopped.  This is a problem because there is no way for a user to manually select 480p quality in the ESPN app or website video player settings.  If a user cannot set it to 480p and it serves higher quality automatically, then WatchESPN is no longer working with the Binge On program.  Can someone from T-Mobile comment on this?  Thanks!

• tidbits

that app itself may use a different address which will tell T-Mobile what to do.  Since you are tethering and using the "TV" app so T-Mobile may not know what is being displayed.  So Disney(they own ESPN) would need to talk to T-Mobile and adjust things to make sure it works correctly.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • If you are on a ONE Plan binge on does not apply. All data is counted but is unlimited. Any tethering usage will count toward the tethering allotment.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • However if not on a ONE plan then mirroring the phone to the TV should not count but if the TV is requesting the data from the phone then it would count.

The phone requests a mobile feed (binge in works) but the tv would be requesting a non mobile feed (binge on does not apply) and T-Mobile and espn would see that type of request.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • tmo_marissa

Hey magenta2178137! I know our Pillars have offered a ton of valuable information here. I want to make sure we're speaking to exactly how this should work!
                  Binge on While Tethering currently works when you're using your mobile device's hotspot to give a data connection to a laptop, desktop, tablet or another smartphone. Sadly, at this point, it doesn't work with gaming consoles, smart TVs, or streaming sticks (like FireTV, which I too use and loooove). That caveat aside, if you're tethering to your laptop and viewing Watch ESPN there, and you have Binge On enabled and you're connected to the T-Mobile network... you shouldn't be using your SMHS data for the video itself. Data used to load and browse content on the site, downloading video for offline viewing, and ads that stream prior to or during video playback do count, though.

Lastly, snn_555 brings up a great point about plans. What plan are you on and which data plan do you have?

- Marissa

• magenta2178137

Thank you Marissa and everyone for input.  Besides the Fire TV stick, using WatchESPN while tethering to tablet (iPad) or laptop seems to still request a stream higher than 480p and use tethering data.  There is no setting for the quality of stream in the WatchESPN video player, so you essentially cannot use Binge On with WatchESPN via tethering. 

There has definitely been a change somewhere in the chain between WatchESPN and T-Mobile.  WatchESPN in the past would auto-select a 480p stream, regardless of using a Fire TV stick, a tablet or a computer browser.  It just worked to serve up 480p without any action on my part.  At this point, I guess I'll just have to remember to only use WatchESPN on my phone.

My plan is an older Simple Choice plan with unlimited data and 7GB hotspot data.

• tmo_marissa

Hmmmm.... if that's the case, and you're testing on your computer and checking usage before and after and it doesn't seem like ad content or browsing could explain this, then we'd want you to Contact Us. Our Tech team can file a ticket for BingeOn when it's not behaving the way it should. I texted the Watch ESPN help number (I know, I'm weird) about forcing 480p resolution just to see what they'd say -- about an hour later they replied that there's not a way to modify the resolution from a laptop. In theory, if you have BingeOn enabled, my understanding was that (with a few notable exceptions) that would be enough to force the resolution to shift appropriately. Maybe I have that all wrong, but if that's what should be happening and it's not, a ticket will alert our engineers to look into it so that we can make it right or update the BingeOn content!

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Happy Sunday, magenta2178137! I just wanted to check in with you and see if you'd had a chance to reach out to our Tech team about this. Were we able to get a ticket filed for you?

- Marissa