No longer receiving 3G on my iPhone 4S?

magenta2162112

I am aware NYC was undergoing network improvements as of 7/11, but was not aware how this would impact my service.

I now no longer receive 3G on my iPhone 4S, and the internet speed I am getting renders the phone relatively useless when it comes to loading webpages or streaming any kind of data.

Is this a permanent change and if so, is there anything that can be done to improve the coverage I am currently receiving?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

In the NYC market, T-Mobile has 25 MHz of AWS (band 4) and 10 MHz of PCS (band 2). If they move HSPA+ to the AWS band they can get 20x20 wideband LTE plus 5 MHz of HSPA+. They can then deploy 10x10 LTE in the PCS band and leave a minimal GSM signal running in the LTE guard-bands. Not sure if this is what they've been working at but it makes perfect sense to me. Looking at some recently updated information on CellMapper, it looks like this is exactly what they've been doing.

Time to replace that old phone. Too bad they haven't introduced phones with band 71, yet. It would be nice to be able to update to the latest and greatest.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta2162112

Re: No longer receiving 3G on my iPhone 4S?

While I shop around, anything I can do about this massive slowdown or am I basically stuck?

• drnewcomb2

The only way you'll get 3G on that phone with T-Mobile is to go to a less populated market where they're still running HSPA+ on 1900 MHz (band-2). Not sure what phones I'd really recommend right now. You seem like me; someone doesn't replace phones unnecessarily. The Moto E4 (USA) is a good value at under $150 (Amazon) and can be used on just about any carrier or MVNO. It's Android. If you want an iPhone, I might suggest you look for a used 6s or SE, if you don't want to spend $700+

• magenta2162112

Thank you for the recommendations. I am definitely averse to buying a new phone simply because the next model has been released. My current model is clearly outdated though and I am considering upgrading directly to an iPhone 7 just to stay ahead of the curve for the first time in my life.

• drnewcomb2

Let me recommend that you study the different models of iPhone 7 before buying. I'm not an expert on iPhones but those who are seem to prefer the A1660, which is sold by Apple and Verizon. I understand it has a Qualcomm chipset, which seems to be preferred to the Intel chipset used in the A1778 model. It also has the advantage that you can use it on any of the "big 4" carriers or their MVNO. So, if someday you decided you want to try Sprint or Cricket, there should be no problem bringing your own phone. You would have to go to an Apple store and buy the unlocked model.  And don't take my word for it. Do some research. I would before spending that much money.