Personal HotSpot Not Working Properly

tomodell

Lately I've been noticing that if I connect my MacBook to the Internet using my iPhone7 as a hotspot, it really doesn't work properly. Some webpages load normally and without any issue.  Others don't work at all and show no Internet connectivity.

Tonight I was at Coffee Bean and their Internet was turned off because I exceeded their one hour use limit.  I needed to do a couple of quick things, so I popped open my iPhone7 and activated my personal hotspot.

My Gmail was completely accessible via Chrome.  Pretty much anything I might want to do with Google worked.

Twitter did not work.  It said I had no Internet connectivity.

Apple iCloud said I had no Internet connectivity.

Apple's website worked perfectly. No problems.

Apple's App Store said I had no Internet connectivity.

Some sites work perfectly.  Others don't work at all.  I moved to Starbucks down the street and connected to their Internet and everything works perfectly.

This is not the first time I have had this problem.  Twitter never works via a Hotspot Internet connection.  I have screen shots of all these problems. All of these were taken at the exact same time ...

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 7.16.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 7.17.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 7.30.51 PM 1.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 7.17.45 PM.png

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Personal HotSpot Not Working Properly

I've never heard of this before. It's never happened with my Samsung. I'll be interested in knowing what you learn.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, tomodell!

Thanks for the handy screenshots! I have an iPhone 7 Plus along with a MacBook Air and just tested out hotspotting on some of the same sites/apps you viewed. Everything worked for me but I also know that we're in different areas and possibly using different MacBooks. I'm more a fan of Chrome than Safari but have you tested this out on Safari? If so, did you see an increase of sites/apps working that weren't before?

• tomodell

The situation has not corrected itself.  My Hotspot connection shows being active on my iPhone7.  Anything I attempt to do related to Google works perfectly.  However nothing related to Apple seems to work. iTunes is completely unworkable.

I am moving in about a week. I've had ongoing TMobile connectivity problems of a wide range for the last year while living in the mid city region of Los Angeles.  I want to wait until I complete my relocation before making a big deal about this.

I will provide some updates next weekend when I'm in my new location.

• tomodell

Amanda: I use both Chrome and Safari depending on my mood.  Usually use Chrome a little more.  Chrome has an overall nicer user experience but is a huge resource drain on memory.  Safari is little less enjoyable in the UI area but a big memory and battery saver.

The issue of the connectivity has nothing to do with what browser I am using and even if it did, iTunes does not work.  Most places I go have WiFi so this isn't a problem I run into a lot.  It's only when I'm home (where I don't have WiFi) or when I'm traveling and can't access WiFi.

• tmo_amanda

Gosh, you have me stumped, tomodell! The fact that it seems to be isolated to tethering from your iPhone and specific sites baffles me. Have you tried forgetting your hotspot network then re-adding it? Also, does location matter? Lastly, have you tried tethering to a different device other than your Mac or tried tethering from a different phone other than your iPhone?

• tomodell

Hi Amanda.  Since I moved to mid city, I've had a lot of problems with connectivity on TMobile.  After a lot of conversations with TMo support, my general reception has improved.  The hotspot issue is new.  I could understand if I had ZERO ability to connect but this business of somethings working and others not working is odd.

The other night, I tried to access the Internet via hotspot and once again I had the same problems.  ANYTHING related to Google worked perfectly but most websites did not work and iTunes definitely did not work.

I actually just took your advice and wiped the memory settings and will try again later tonight to access the Internet and see how it goes.

I am retiring and moving out of Los Angeles this weekend so I don't want to make a big deal out of this unless the problem follows me to Palm Springs where I am moving this weekend.

I will have WiFi at my new home so most of this might be moot.  Although, I do want hotspot to work in case I travel and run into a spot where WiFi is not accessible.

Thanks.

• tmo_amanda

Congrats on your retirement, tomodell! I'll actually be heading out to LA next week for a few days as well. I appreciate the amount of detail and time you've spent working with me on getting your hotspot fixed. At this point, I'm wondering if it's something within the hotspot set-up as your connectivity seems to be fine. Whether you have WiFi at your new home or not doesn't change the fact that your hotspot isn't working as it should be. I'm interested to see if moving locations solves the problem, although I don't think it will. If the problem continues, we'll need to get you in touch with our Tech Support team as a trouble ticket will need to be filed. I truly this is more of a back end issue than it is signal.

• tomodell

Amanda: I have now relocated from Los Angeles to Palm Springs (day 3 here).  I have not had time to order WiFi so I need to rely on TMo hotspot to connect my MacBook to the Internet.   I have two TMo phones.  An iPhone7 and an iPhone 4s (it's an old story, big Steve Jobs fan and it's the last phone he worked on, sentimental thing).  Anyway, both phones work perfectly and connecting to the Internet via hotspot on either phone here is a breeze (there are cell towers across the street from where I now live).

NO PROBLEMS.

Not any problems.  PERFECT connectivity. Like I have a perfect WiFi hookup. Excellent. Outstanding.

Clear to me that the problems I was having were due to reception in the mid-city area of Los Angeles (Wilshire/LaBrea).  I had ongoing issues with TMobile in that neighborhood. Reception throughout the area was always weak.

My problems are solved.  TMobile might want to look into their mid-city resources in Los Angeles. But that is no longer any concern as I won't be back in that area any time in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for your interest in my earlier difficulties.  Have a great weekend.

• tomodell

So here we are again.  I removed all hotspot contact info in my WiFi profile and started my connection from scratch.  Sure enough, same problem.

ANYTHING GOOGLE WORKS.

Wikipedia works.

Apple's webpage works.

T-Mobile's Support Page works.

iTunes does NOT work.

Craig's List does NOT work.

Twitter does NOT work

No difference between Safari browser or Chrome.  If it works on one, it works on the other. If it doesn't work on one, it doesn't work on the other.

More screen shots ...

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 10.58.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 10.47.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 10.47.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-17 at 10.45.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-17 at 10.46.22 PM.png

• tomodell

Kanehi: Not every big city shares the same footprint as Manhattan.  Yes DOWNTOWN Los Angeles has a lot of skyscrapers.  I was about 10 miles from downtown in what is called MidTown and the building I was in was the tallest building in the neighborhood (4 stories) and had clear visibility 360 degrees in all directions.  I was on the top floor and had connectivity problems from day 1 until I moved out 3 weeks ago.

I no longer live in Los Angeles and have very good connectivity in my new home location.

• tomodell

Here's an amazing end to a story.

For almost a year, I suffered with horrible Hotspot connectivity in the mid City section of Los Angeles.  I knew that my stay there was a short term proposition so I lived with the problem.  Calls were ok.  Texts were ok. Data very spotty.

Well I've moved.  In my new home, TMobile data is AWESOME. I was going to get Time Warner WiFi but to be honest, TMobile is really perfect here. I bought an Alcatel flip phone and activated the hotspot on it.  I leave it in my briefcase and all I need to do is pop open my MacBook and I always have terrific hotspot connectivity.

I upgraded my plan on the Alcatel phone to include unlimited Hotspot connectivity. This REALLY works well.  The Alcatel and my MacBook LOVE each other and immediately meet up any time I need them to talk to each other ... EVEN BETTER THAN MY IPHONE 7!!!

I know the Alcatel is not everyone's cup of tea.  I only use it as a backup and as a hotspot device.  My iPhone7 is still my "daily driver" so to speak but for hooking up for emails and web browsing at home, this new combo is really perfect.

And the cost?  TimeWarner would have been $100/month.  My TMobile hotspot upgrade is $25/month.

Excellent.