magenta2119141

Recently received a "Service Shifter" message on my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee prompting me to take the vehicle in for service.  The service Tech determined the SyncUp had spread the terminals causing a bus short in the DLC.  This required the DLC plug to be replaced ($409.02).  Once replaced, there were no bus failures present.  Is this device not compatible with all vehicles? 

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Syncup damaged DLC Plug

Oh my goodness! I just checked and the 2014 Grand Cherokee is compatible with the SyncUP drive. The OBD-II port that the SyncUP  drive uses is a standard size and should not have been compromised when plugging in the device. Did you notice if the device was hard to press fit? Was it loose at all or was it in a spot that could have been bumped?

• tmo_chris

Just checking in to see how things are going. Please let me know if I can answer any questions you have

• magenta2119141

Yes, the device did not seem to fit properly and fell out just a day or two after the TMobile rep installed it in my vehicle.  I visited a few TMobiles after my purchase, for other reasons, but always discussed my issue with the syncup falling out. The staff, including a manager, took a look at the device and the way it was seated.  They told me if it continued to fall out they would replace it.  However, it appears that it effected the performance of the vehicle before it fell out, again.  I took a photo of the newly installed DLC plug and recognized that the SyncUp could in fact cause damage because one of the terminals connects from the bottom of the DLC to the top.  

I have done a bit of research since replacing the DLC and have learned manufactures of the vehicles suggest that you do not insert any device into the DLC as it could cause damage.  And, of course, the mechanic gave me the same advice.

TMobile did allow me to return to the SyncUp, however, in the end it cost me $400.  Hind sight is 20/20 -

• tmo_chris

I am so sorry magenta2119141 Would you be able to upload a photo of the newly installed OBD port on your Jeep? I have a SyncUP device myself and I would like to see how it lines up with your port. Try to get a picture of the port that clearly displays all of the terminal connections.

• magenta2119141

port.jpg

• tmo_chris

So it looks pretty standard as far as OBD-II ports go. The only difference I can see in the pins is the top middle 2 pins protrude a bit more than all the rest. I also posted my OBD port on my 2005 F150 for reference. There are some ports that have metal sheathing that don't quite match yours but that may be a manufacturer specific thing as the general shape matches. Did your mechanic say which ports were spread by the device?

IMG_1650 (1).JPGIMG_1651 (1).JPGIMG_1652.JPG

• magenta2119141

Thank you for sharing your photos.  I can see how your port would have no issues plugging into the sync.  As you can see in my photo, the 3rd metal piece from the left attached from the bottom pin to the top pin.  Plugging in the device would break this "metal piece" as the plastic bar running across the sync cannot fit unless this piece is removed or bent.  The mechanic did not tell me which pin was broken, but logic tells me it was this one.  There is no way to plug it in without compromising this piece.  I'm guessing when it was originally installed by the TMobile rep., this piece bent inward.  The syncup did not seat properly as it would fall out.  Not aware that this was an issue, I continued to reseat the sync and eventually caused the issue with the port.

In hind sight, should have installed it myself as I would have seen it wasn't going to mate properly.