mccartney_john@hotmail.com

On or about June 1st, I was looking to switch phone service from Verizon.  I called T-Mobile and talked with a sales representative.  I let her know what I was looking for and what I had.  I asked specifically twice about bringing my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge from Verizon to T-Mobile.  I just bought this phone for over $700 and it is in perfect condition.  She stated there would be no issues and the phone would work fine on T-Mobile.  I also bought a new Samsung Galaxy S7 from T-Mobile for my wife.  We went with two lines on the One Plan and added One-Plus to my phone.

I was told it would take a couple of hours to port my number over to T-Mobile. After a day went by, I called and then they told me it could take up to 24 hours.  I called the next day then they said it could a a few days to port over.  I called again three days later and then they informed me they could not log onto Verizon with the pass word.  I gave it to them again and they finally got my phone ported over.  It took three days.

One of the first issues was Voicemail.  I was told I had to dial 123 to access VM instead of just pressing a button like Verizon.

Next issue was MMS messages, I cannot reply or send MMS messages.  I talked with the technical team at least 6 times.  I reconfigured the phone multiple times per the instructions. It was escalated at least 3 times. I was told to expect a call back on 3 different occasion and never received a call or follow up.  I was informed that some functions would not work as this was a Verizon phone!  I told them I was assured there would be no issues when switched.  They told me to buy a T-Mobile phone….  More on this later…

On T-Mobile, the system does not recognize my device.  I was told this could take up to two billing cycles to resolve.  With this issue, I cannot get any system updates.

When I was traveling, the phone would not connect to data so I had to reboot.  This happens all the time.  I was told this was due to this being a Verizon Phone.  Again, I told them I was told a Verizon phone would not be an issue.  They stated that they should not have told me that and the internals are not compatible. They suggested I buy a T-Mobile phone.

Every time I phone a contact, it adds a 1 prefix to the existing number.  I have to edit every contact and remove the 1 prefix I already have. I called again about this and they stated this was due to this being a Verizon Phone.  They suggested I buy a T-Mobile phone, again I told them I was told this was not an issue and I could use by Verizon phone.

Back to the MMS issue, this has been going on for over a month.  They told me they did everything they could and cannot resolve this issue. Again, telling me to buy a T-Mobile phone.  I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they would call me within a couple of hours. I never received a call back.  I called them and finally spoke to a supervisor and they said they cannot fix this and I should not have been told that the Verizon phone would be OK.  They told me to buy a T-Mobile phone.  I said NO because I was told this phone would work and stated this was sales fraud, he agreed and told me to buy a T-Mobile phone.  I asked to speak to his supervisor or someone that could help, he told me expect a call back.  I never got one.

I call the corporate number and was routed to a call center in Kansas.  The girl acknowledged they have had issues with the Verizon Samsung S7 Edge phones and they I should buy one.  They offered me a used Samsung S7 for $284.  At this point I was about ready to break down.  They stated they would give a trade-in for my current phone for $170.  Again, I told them that T-Mobile lied to me about my phone working perfectly and they should make this right by sending me a comparable phone.  They had admitted on multiple occasions they should not have told me this during the sales call and I would have to buy a new phone.  I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told he was out to lunch and I should get a call back within a few hours.  I never received a call back.

At this point I am left with a few options:

• - Switch all lines back to Verizon
      • No, I would have to get a new phone for my wife
    • - Switch my line back to Verizon
      • The cost of a single plan on two networks is very expensive
    • - Buy a T-Mobile Phone
      • NO  I would be losing a lot of money for an inferior phone plus all the cases I already have for the 7 Edge
    • - File a complaint to the BBB, FCC
    • - Sue T-Mobile in Small Claims Court
    • - Get a law firm involved in a class-action lawsuit as I am positive I am not the only one that has been deceived by T-Mobile

They will not make this right, so i am starting the complaint process and will follow up in small claims court next week.

All replies

• e2k

Just to clarify, were you advised to change the APN settings on your Galaxy S7 Edge? You can find the settings at this page: APN Settings

Regarding voice mail, you can download the T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail app from the Play Store.

You can manually download and apply updates via the Samsung Kies app. Here is the URL: Samsung Kies

I agree that the sales rep should not have told you that your phone could be used on TMO without any issues. What they should have said is that any BYOD (bring your own device) phone can be hit or miss. Generally, if the phone can utilize the T-Mobile frequencies, you'll be okay. However, you will not get T-Mobile specific features such as WiFi calling and possibly VoLTE and tethering as well.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • mccartney_john@hotmail.com

Yes, i was advised to change the APN settings and did so three times.  The Technical Team has done everything they can.  They said the Phone is not compatible and to buy a T-Mobile Phone.

Thanks for the information on the Samsung Kies app.  On Verizon, i just checked for updates periodically.

Do you work for T-Mobile?

I have heard everyone i talk to T-Mobile say the same thing - "I agree that the sales rep should not have told you that your phone could be used on TMO without any issues."

But Sorry does not get me anything! 

I would expect any company, especially the ones that admit their mistake to correct it.  How much does a refurbed S7 cost them?  $150? Really, for that much they are willing to **** off customers, report them to BBB, FCC, etc and have us post bad experiences like this?  I have not even started yet on social media, friends or small claims court.  This is going to cost them a hell of a lot more than the cost of doing what is right.

Thanks for the information on additional potential issues "you will not get T-Mobile specific features such as WiFi calling and possibly VoLTE and tethering as well"  Need to add this to the hit list.

Do i sound pissed?  Hell yes i am and i am not crying to get something for free.  I simply want T-Mobile to live up to their agreement.  A mistake may have been made - i get it.  But own it and fix it....

• tidbits

Everything does work like intended for what unlock phones should do.  It is out of T-Mobile's control if Verizon or the manufacturer makes changes on how things work on other carriers.  The FCC, BBB, and such already been through this in the earlier years of the whole BYOD.

FYI refurbished devices cost more than $150 even if it is a S7 for carriers.  There was a whole lawsuit about this and what we learned was manufacturers set the prices not the carriers, and carriers make little to no money on all the devices sold by them.  Often they take a LOSS on them and try and recoup what they lose through subscriptions.

You can call Verizon and port your number back and no harm no foul as long as it is done within 90 days.  That is out of T-Mobile hands and needs to be initiated by you.

tidbits,

I find your comment:

"Everything does work like intended for what unlock phones should do.  It is out of T-Mobile's control if Verizon or the manufacturer makes changes on how things work on other carriers" rubbish!

I am your average consumer but not a complete idiot like 98% of the people and phone users. I did not know limitations, about past lawsuits or the differences.

I asked specifically, twice, if there were any problems bringing over this phone and was told "no problem, everything will work". 

This is NOT out of T-Mobile's hands.  They Sold me on the fact that everything would work and it does not.  They need to make it work.

I now have a device that i bought through T-Mobile for my wife(which now i assume will only work with T-Mobile and not Verizon).   I simply cannot "go back" to Verizon with "no harm/no foul".  If i just port my phone back, then i am paying two carriers for a single line apiece which is a lot of money!

• tidbits

mccartney_john@hotmail.com wrote:

tidbits,

I find your comment:

"Everything does work like intended for what unlock phones should do. It is out of T-Mobile's control if Verizon or the manufacturer makes changes on how things work on other carriers" rubbish!

I am your average consumer but not a complete idiot like 98% of the people and phone users. I did not know limitations, about past lawsuits or the differences..

I asked specifically, twice, if there were any problems bringing over this phone and was told "no problem, everything will work".

This is NOT out of T-Mobile's hands. They Sold me on the fact that everything would work and it does not. They need to make it work.

I now have a device that i bought through T-Mobile for my wife(which now i assume will only work with T-Mobile and not Verizon). I simply cannot "go back" to Verizon with "no harm/no foul". If i just port my phone back, then i am paying two carriers for a single line apiece which is a lot of money!

I am pointing out that it works like intended.  If the manufacturer, or Carrier(Verizon) doesn't touch the standards and everything is input correctly it will work on other carriers.  The problem that the FCC, and Courts say if the outside force(manufacturer, or other carrier) has the code modified slightly and causes problems T-Mobile has no control.  I don't see how you would get that I called you an idiot or assume you are an idiot...  Seems like you need to relax a bit.  You can take it through the courts again and you will get the same response, and I wish you the best of luck on that one.  There isn't a problem bringing them over and having them working.

Sell the phone and get a phone on Verizon and that's it.  Sorry to me if I felt shafted I would have moved on and not deal with the company instead of strong-arming them.  The stories I could tell you about Sprint.  

Tidbits,

It does sound like a complicated issue when changing carriers and i assume Verizon/Sprint may do the same thing.  Actually, i will call them and find out what their sales people say.

On your response "I am pointing out that it works like intended.  If the manufacturer, or Carrier(Verizon) doesn't touch the standards and everything is input correctly it will work on other carriers.  The problem that the FCC, and Courts say if the outside force(manufacturer, or other carrier) has the code modified slightly and causes problems T-Mobile has no control"

If that is the case, then i stand by my original issue that the T-Mobile Sales representative had a legal and moral responsibility to tell me this. Instead of "everything will work fine".

Your next comment on: "There isn't a problem bringing them over and having them working" is incorrect as you know.  if this were true, i would not be in this situation.

I will not "Move On" until this settled either by T-Mobile or the courts.  I cannot let this company continue to lie to consumers.  They may get away with this 99% of the time...

All i want is a phone that works!!!!  is that really too much to ask for?

Thanks for your responses - i am chill...

• tidbits

You asked if it would work and would have no problems with it.  Truth is they told you the truth.  It does work as intended.  There are various people using unlocked phones on T-Mobile from other providers no problem.  The reps do not know everything about devices and may tell you something to get off the phone because they been beaten on all day over the phone.  Roaming wise you would be fine unless that roaming partner uses a spectrum the device doesn't support.

You can get calls, data, and text with any unlocked phone.  Just a heads up my job revolves around mobile phones, and unlocked phones.  I have to keep up with everything including pending corporate litigation.

I wish you the best of luck.  They never lied to you and the FCC will say the same thing and T-Mobile's defense will be used the same.  The problem ask a general question you get a general answer.  In terms of unlocked devices everything is calls, text, and data.  If you get those then T-Mobile wins.  MMS may be a text, but again if Verizon messed with the basic code and causes problems here and there for some users then courts will clear T-Mobile as they have no control of what Verizon does with that code.  One could argue it could be a form a sabotage.

I do appreciate the conversation and i am learning a lot.

I filed complaints to the BBB, FCC and Consumer Affairs.  I will give that a week then file a small claims in the court.  I have quite a few lawyer friends and will be talking with them.  I would still argue and we will see what the court says.  i am no lawyer but i do believe that i, as an average consumer being told that everything would work fine - twice with full disclosure on my phone and type.  Then being told that "They should not have told you that" and that i need to buy a new phone.  One of the techs even told me they are having problems with this phone from Verizon.  I believe this is a reasonable argument.  Do you think i am being unreasonable?

Switching back would cost me over $500 or more for a new phone for my wife.

Yes, i can make calls and get data but:

- Voice mail that is a pain

- drops while roaming and need to reboot to get 4G

-All contacts numbers are messed up(over 800+)

-Cannot update device via T-Mobile (you told me how to fix)

-MMS messaging is the heart of my communication with friends and groups!  i cannot even reply to a group message let alone sending pics. This is a Key feature.

-Wifi Calling is important!

- VoLTE is Important!

This is like buying a Porsche with no 4th gear!  Yes it works, but kinda...

Thanks!

• tmo_marissa

Hey there, John, and welcome to our Support Community. I'm sorry we're not holding the door open for you on better terms!
                          I've read over the replies and responses on this thread, and I want to start by clarifying that the kind folks who've been offering input here aren't T-Mobile employees -- e2k and tidbits are highly active (and very knowledgeable) community members here who we're lucky enough to have hanging out voluntarily giving their time to help other customers find answers to questions.

The issues here are multiple, and they're all a big bummer. Although we welcome users with Non T-Mobile equipment, in part by offering a Setup guide to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and listing our Generic T-Mobile data settings publicly, we also have a Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer because, quite simply, we can't guarantee what we haven't tested. I know I wasn't with you on the phone, but from your post it sounds like we glossed over this reality when we sold you the device, and I agree with what our community members have mentioned -- we should be realistic. Although typically compatible devices will have most functionality, there are some things that require T-Mobile branded software to work. Stating otherwise isn't okay, and we'll forward the feedback up.

I am also very sorry to read that you weren't followed up with when we promised you return calls. That's a huge ball drop, and one we don't take lightly. Filing feedback for these incidents requires account access so that we can review notes and make sure the correct teams are alerted, and in this public user forum we don't have a method to securely verify an account to take a peek ourselves. I know from reading over the thread that you've taken some actions to work towards a resolution externally; and have placed no shortage of calls in to our Care and Tech teams looking for answers. If you're willing to give a team with internal access one more chance, we'd love to ask you to reach out to our T-Force team. You can contact them through Facebook Message or DM on Twitter (@tmobilehelp), and in those channels we do have a secure method to authenticate your account, open it up, and see what we can do -- along with making sure we file reports for the missed opportunities to reach back out to you.

As an aside, I'm going to send a PM your way in a few moments regarding your username. If you could take a peek at your inbox that would be great! Thank you for taking the time to post your experience here.

- Marissa

• drnewcomb2

Threads like this make me even more firmly convinced that customers should separate the phone buying from the service and buy only flexible, "any carrier" devices, like the Nexus, Pixel, iPhones* and Motos*. Samsung phones happen to be particularly tweaked to match the needs of the specific carrier that sold it. If a Samsung phone works on a different carrier, even when unlocked, it's almost by accident, because it needs those bands for roaming.

*Specific models.

• e2k

drnewcomb2 wrote:

Threads like this make me even more firmly convinced that customers should separate the phone buying from the service and buy only flexible, "any carrier" devices, like the Nexus, Pixel, iPhones* and Motos*.

Here, here! Let the phones be separate from the carriers. Free us from carrier specific updates & features, locked devices and bloatware! Make the manufacturers (rather than the carriers) take the blame for lousy firmware and design flaws.

• tidbits

I would love that too, but with the way manufacturers bundle their packages for carriers to buy into it's too lucrative to give up.  Apple went against that model and it worked out well for them, but some people can't fathom the reason why iDevices are more expensive out of the gate.  Doesn't include the fact they have more inventory, support, and man power to pay than their competitors

Personally I prefer unlocked devices for the sake I can go where ever and whenever and nothing to stop me.

I wanted everyone to know the T-Mobile rectified the situation.  Thank You!!!!