Solved

Being charged for phone after returning back to Assurant...

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I'm having a really stressful time right now getting the run around from T-Mobile and Assurant regarding a phone claim I have. The Merchant Return Labal states: PERMIT NO. 395 LANCASTER, PA Assurant YORK PA, 17402 625 WILLOW SPRINGS LANE STE A; RMA # 405-32835102-3.

I've been charged 300$ on my phone bill, despite returning this phone almost a month ago. When I call up Assurant they state the warehouse still hasn't recieved it. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of for a mistake on Assurant's end, and T Mobile says they can't refund the money on my bill. I'm literally at a loss for words, I sent it and feel like it's 100% their responsibility for not receiving it, what should I do?

icon

Best answer by snn_555 8 July 2017, 12:39

View original

60 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Do you still have the information regarding the sending and receiving of the unit?  What does your tracking info from the return label show regarding last location scan?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Looks like you posted another thread that was very similar to this one. Can you let us know if this was handled? Thanks!

Userlevel 1

Pretty funny how I cant add my comments on my experience this week with tmobile and assurant.

Userlevel 1

I had my very first phone break.  I took all the necessary steps to send back my phone.  I put it in my mailbox the morning the mailman was coming to pick it up and had my camera on the mailman showing him take my mail that morning with the phone in it.  I get letters telling me I owe them for a phone at full price.  The company I own builds cell phone towers for T-Mobile and this is how I was treated.  There is no way for the customer to track the package once it has left your hands.  There is no usps first class tracking available for this package.  I was inside the post office with a manager for almost 2 hours trying to find out where the package was.  After spending 2 full days dealing with Assurant they still give me numbers that are not valid tracking numbers.  So I took it a step further and called consumer affairs with the usps and I was told  this ", the number provided is the tracking number I requested to trace your parcel in the USPS system, although, after checking it, the number appears as invalid. It is possible that Assurant generated a bad label. Please contact Assurant to dispute it; USPS is unable to assist further.

Userlevel 1

I had my very first phone break.  I took all the necessary steps to send back my phone.  I put it in my mailbox the morning the mailman was coming to pick it up and had my camera on the mailman showing him take my mail that morning with the phone in it.  I get letters telling me I owe them for a phone at full price.  The company I own builds cell phone towers for T-Mobile and this is how I was treated.  There is no way for the customer to track the package once it has left your hands.  There is no usps first class tracking available for this package.  I was inside the post office with a manager for almost 2 hours trying to find out where the package was.  After spending 2 full days dealing with Assurant they still give me numbers that are not valid tracking numbers.  So I took it a step further and called consumer affairs with the usps and I was told  this ", the number provided is the tracking number I requested to trace your parcel in the USPS system, although, after checking it, the number appears as invalid. It is possible that Assurant generated a bad label. Please contact Assurant to dispute it; USPS is unable to assist further.

Having same problem, sent phone in the 27th of june and it arrived in Pa. but left Harrisburg Pa on the 29th then disappeared and no one seems to know what happened to it, telling me I will be charged for the phone since they never got it.  They should of sent it ups like they did the replacement phone but used USPS to do the return. 

Userlevel 1

I am experiencing the same exact problem. I shipped out my defective phone almost 3 months ago and now am being billed $311 because they haven't received it. Why 3 months later? T-mobile says nothing can be done, Assurant says nothing can be done - both pointing fingers at each other. In the meantime, I am stuck with an astronomical bill and no resolution in sight. I have opened a case with the USPS (let's be honest, slim to no chance that will do any good) and have no idea what else to do. I refuse to pay for something that wasnt my fault - $200 for deductible and now $311 for the defective device never being received? If this cannot be resolved, I will be leaving T-Mobile, who by the way, has had the worst service in the Miami area since Hurricane Irma (phones stopped working 2 days before the storm hit!). AT&T and Verizon customers in the area never had as much as a hiccup in their service. T-Mobile is striking out with me, big time.

Yes, T-MOBILE seems to have a problem, it also appears ASSURANT and TMOBILE are the same despite different names or possibly Corporations (research ongoing on this). So, when T-MOBILE was sent the phone, in the included Envelope, in MARCH 2019, and they do not tell you until on or about AUG. 10, 2019, they seem to have a real problem. THE MESSAGE I GOT BY EMAIL TODAY (redacted my info):

"

T-Mobile Care <do-not-reply@t-mobile.com>

2:20 PM (9 hours ago)

Go to T-Mobile.com

Oh no! We have looked everywhere but we aren’t able to locate your device (IMEI: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) in our warehouse. It is now past the timeframe allotted for the return of the equipment and we are unable to apply any adjustments to the account for the non-return fee.

Request #:
Mobile #:
Form #:

-------------------------end of reply from T-Mobile------------------------
They seemed to take less than 48 hrs. SPEEDY BY T-MOBILE STANDARD -- their "experts" do not seem to even know the ANDROID system, so I doubt anyone actually looked for anything -- it is a SHAM and a computer-generated search at best, A LIE AT WORST
I say that because I asked, a bit back due to 1 BAR in my LIVING ROOM with their 4GLTE CELL SPOT, and they called me back said they "checked it" and that the reasons for my slow speeds is the ALUMINUM SIDING ON MY HOUSE THEY SAID THEY DROVE BY (PHYSICALLY THEY SAID). Sad thing is my House was built in 1890 and has no Aluminum Siding on it (its actually Asbestos shakes). SO THEY BLEW THEIR CREDIBILITY THERE - If they lie about such a thing then, I DO NOT BELIEVE THEM NOW.
they cannot even get the 4G LTE DISTRIBUTED ANTENNAs in my Home town tuned to give good reception of the over $100 month cell service. TMOBILE seems to think they can agree to a CONTRACT to provide cell services and THEN NOT DO IT AND LIE TO THEIR CUSTOMERS ABOUT IT. Blatant Breach of Contract. Seems like small claims COURT is the best option at this point (as I bought a phone through them, in a CONTRACT, wondering if they like me breaching it and not fixing it like they do -- what is good for the goose is good for the gander ole Gpa would say)!

Comments people?

Userlevel 1

This is happening to me now, i am about to contact the attorney general because this is so unfortunate that we are being charged for something that out of our control. this is poor customer relations.

I am going through the same nightmare.  I switched 2 phones from Sprint to TMobile in April 2020.  I paid off the 700 I owed on my old phones and sent them back using their USPS label. I didn’t find out until August that the phones had not arrived and now want to charge me 1500 for the new TMobile phones.  I have called them non-stop, they checked to see if my old phones are being used but it was determined that they have not been turned on since April.  The two phones must be sitting somewhere but no one can find them.  Problem is they are charging me and will ruin my credit if I don’t pay. Very frustrating!!!

Userlevel 1

I know it is very frustrating indeed. I took me several trips to the post office, Several complaints made against the shipping company weather its the USPS, UPS, FED EX. Several calls to TMobil and escalations and me wanting to change providers. I told them that i will not pay the bill and i will dispute this over and over until you figure this out. I kept calling and disputing it like every other day until i met the right reps to listen and take care of the issue. now the bill has been removed and resolved. It took lots of work, complaining and going back and fourth.

Userlevel 1

I know it is very frustrating indeed. I took me several trips to the post office, Several complaints made against the shipping company weather its the USPS, UPS, FED EX. Several calls to TMobil and escalations and me wanting to change providers. I told them that i will not pay the bill and i will dispute this over and over until you figure this out. I kept calling and disputing it like every other day until i met the right reps to listen and take care of the issue. now the bill has been removed and resolved. It took lots of work, complaining and going back and fourth.

Can you tell me how you did it to dispute the non return fee? Did you do it with your bank or Tmobile?

Hi 

My iPhone has a low battery and one of the T-Mobile customer service said i am eligible for a warranty exchange with 5 dollars and told me to send the phone in the packet which they send me the new phone. I went to post office and returned my phone. I got an email that they received my phone and successfully finished the exchange and nothing to be done in my part on oct 6. Then next day I got an email saying that they haven't received my phone and charging my account with a fee of 318.75$. When i called the customer service and questioned they said sorry about the inconvenience and they got the phone and its in ware house. Then I got another email saying that my phone has physical damage and it is not covered by the warrant. I called again the customer service and said a research team will look into it. Then i got another email from Handset order research team that damage is not covered under the Limited warranty. Any one knows how to get out from this cheating of T-MOBILE and get back the money. I have been a T-Mobile customer for more than 10years and its really sad and frustrating that I got cheated by them. Any one can help me?

I have had similar issues. Been a T-Mobile customer for 15 years and I will be leaving to another carrier after this experience. Received a new phone from them and mailed the old one back with the supplied return label. 3 months later I get a charge on my T-Mobile bill for a non-returned insurance claim phone. I tried contacting Assurant about this and after being on hold 30min, finally got through. They asked several questions to verify my account and identity and when they got to my billing address they said it was wrong. I told them they are wrong. They told me to look at my online account to verify. I did and they still said I was wrong. I then proceeded to attempt sending them a PDF of my bill to verify themselves and they said they can't receive any files; which is a lie, because I sent all my original return documents digitally. I then asked to speak with a supervisor and was told that they were busy and would call me back on Monday. It's been over a week and still no call back. This company is nothing but a scam. I went on reddit and found countless other people who have had the exact same issue with this company. 

I would also like to know how you got this resolved. I don't mind doing the work, but I've tried and have not gotten anywhere. 

So I take it we are all having the same issue. Returned a damaged phone back in July and am now being charged 500 bucks for my son's phone. The 200 dollar deductible was already paid, so we're talking 700 dollars! I took it to the post office; I know it was mailed. This is ridiculous. Has anyone found a better company? I'd like to know because I'm not paying the 500 bucks, I'll just go elsewhere. If anyone knows of a good phone company, please let me know. 

Same problem here . $600 been charge , warehouse received a "empty box " . Frustrating that T-mobile  not doing anything ...same bla bla bla everytime I call them 

Userlevel 1

This nightmare is happening to me. I have auto pay and they took 885.00 dollars out of my account. I have been nonstop calling saying it will be resolved and it never does. I feel robbed and have no rights. I can not miss anymore work over this. I believe this is their plan to wear you down so you give up. This amount has hurt me in so many ways. I just don't even know what to do anymore.

Badge

I’m going through the same issue, returned a phone on July 1, 2021 with receipt that it was delivered at the warehouse but T mobile charged me $506 plus the $99 deductible for insurance anyway stating they can’t find it.  I have spent 20 hours on the phone and talked with numerous customer service reps, they always promise to get back to Me or credit my account but it never happens.  None have every followed up with me. T mobile and Assurant are terrible companies and are running a scam and getting away with it.  Spread the word to not use T mobile and not to let them talk you into their insurance.  I was on autopay and disputed the charge and my credit card co agreed with me but T mobile is now threatening  collections.  So frustrating.  

Userlevel 1

I finally had this resolved after countless hours.

call (425) 378-4000 corporate office. I spoke to Ohmar and he fixed it in minutes. 
Call after 12pm eastern time.

Userlevel 1

This nightmare is happening to me. I have auto pay and they took 885.00 dollars out of my account. I have been nonstop calling saying it will be resolved and it never does. I feel robbed and have no rights. I can not miss anymore work over this. I believe this is their plan to wear you down so you give up. This amount has hurt me in so many ways. I just don't even know what to do anymore.

I am having the same issue. This is sad they are doing this to there customers. 

Userlevel 1

I am having the same issue. This is sad they are doing this to there customers. 

Userlevel 1

I’m going through the same issue, returned a phone on July 1, 2021 with receipt that it was delivered at the warehouse but T mobile charged me $506 plus the $99 deductible for insurance anyway stating they can’t find it.  I have spent 20 hours on the phone and talked with numerous customer service reps, they always promise to get back to Me or credit my account but it never happens.  None have every followed up with me. T mobile and Assurant are terrible companies and are running a scam and getting away with it.  Spread the word to not use T mobile and not to let them talk you into their insurance.  I was on autopay and disputed the charge and my credit card co agreed with me but T mobile is now threatening  collections.  So frustrating.  

I am going thru this same issue, since July.  I am going to file a complaint with BBB. I think we should all get together and file a class action lawsuit. 

Badge

I finally resolved the issue by communicating with Tmobile over twitter.  I had to set up a twitter account and contacted T-Force and requested a phone call.   The company no longer responds at the customer care phone number and email and text did not work for me but I had an immediate response using twitter.

It is important to have the tracking information on your device so that you can prove the device was delivered.  I had to set up a 3 way conversation with Assurant and Tmobile and it took hours.  The Assurant rep was very rude and condescending but the outcome was T mobile credited my account within 8 hours. I canceled the insurance and would not recommend using Assurant. 

Good luck.

Userlevel 1

This is so frustrating. I am going thru the same issue. In July I sent in my broken device to Assurant. I have countless calls them and no resolution.  First they stated they didn’t receive package. USPS tracking info states the delivered. Now they are saying package was empty. Charged me $576, which I refuse to pay. Because I did return the broken device. I am going to fille a BBB complaint. If need be will get a lawyer and to file a class action suit. Apparently this is the normal practice