Windows DIGITS doesn't auto-login

photo85

Every time I reboot my PC, the DIGITS application comes up blank and I have to enter my ID and password. I have a very complex password, so I have to open up my password manager and copy/paste it into DIGITS. Quite the pain, and something I'm NOT willing to do every time I reboot. The DIGITS app needs to optionally remember my login credentials and auto-login should I desire.

All replies

• baldcamarostud

Re: Windows DIGITS doesn't auto-login

Totally agree

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for the feedback, photo85 and baldcamarostud! We'll pass this on. If you have any other ideas for ways that the desktop app can be improved, or DIGITS feedback in general, we'd love to hear it. We've got a thread here we'd love to have your input on: DIGITS - Suggestions, feedback, testimonials? Let's hear it!  Thank you for being engaged here!

- Marissa

• magenta2700440

Sometimes, I have to enter my username and password three times on the Windows DIGITS in order to successfully login. I think the Windows DIGITS login needs to work correctly on the first try.

• laurad2423

Is anything being done to improve digits? I've had it since it came out of beta and I can't recall seeing any updates come out for the software.

• tidbits

photo85 wrote:

Every time I reboot my PC, the DIGITS application comes up blank and I have to enter my ID and password. I have a very complex password, so I have to open up my password manager and copy/paste it into DIGITS. Quite the pain, and something I'm NOT willing to do every time I reboot. The DIGITS app needs to optionally remember my login credentials and auto-login should I desire.

Digits remember me is session based.  I believe every 15 minutes or so it will log you out due to security reasons unless you specifically told it to remember me.  This question has popped up every so often and that's the answer.

I agree it needs to be more clear and it may be nice to have the option of an auto login feature.

• therealak4mc

When you force people to re-enter their passwords frequently, you also force them to either simplify their passwords to something they can remember, or to write the password down someplace where it may be found by some unauthorized person. This makes the exercise counterproductive and anyone with an ounce of understanding of human nature would know better than to create this added risk.

T-Mobile's developers need to get their heads right and enable this option to help protect customers who use this app.

• magenta2242486

Is there any update on this? It seems no improvements have been made since the beta launch.

• tmo_marissa

Hiya! I found the other thread you posted on: reconnecting google contacts several times -- and replied there. Hopefully you've got an inbox notification but if you could take a look and fill in a few details we'd be super grateful! Thanks for posting.

• magenta2242486

Thanks Marissa - I've replied in the other thread with regard to the contact import issue. What about auto log in? Are we any closer to having that implemented?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • tmo_marissa

No timeline that I've heard as of yet -- I would guess that the intention around session-based activity is likely for security purposes, so I'm not certain what would need to be in place to mitigate that concern. That said, I will definitely ask if there are any updates when I reach out about the contacts woes that you and a few other folks seem to be having! I saw your reply on the other thread -- thank you!

• magenta2242486

At the very least could have the application remember the password

• 2loki4u

Greetings @tmo_marissa

Thanks for your recent words of encouragement...

I'm curious though, as this issue continues to persist and seems to have gone unaddressed for more than a year - is there any scheduled update forthcoming?

The troll postings I've read in this thread, talking about "using post-its" to write down and remember your login is ridiculous - and someone who isn't using some sort of login security in a windows environment - especially a laptop - is simply a fool - Microsoft virtually requires you to login to your computer with a password or bio-metrics by default these days - i do not see the potential theft of a machine as being justification for the Digits app not remembering my login information - this is the least of things I would be concerned with if my computer was hi-jacked or stolen...

If Team_RED was able to do this in the windows store with their messaging app - I can't wrap my head around how, after this much time, Team_MAGENTA hasn't been able to remedy this nuisance... Perhaps the answer is making this a Windows Store app - which requires windows store login to operate - that can be automated by windows environment and forces users to have a password / pin and username to login to the machine...

Any updates would be appreciated...

Best Wishes,

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for checking back in, 2loki4u! No scheduled update at this time. DIGITS is still session-based, so you'll need to log in each time. I understand that as you see it, the risk of you leaving your desk unattended with a saved DIGITS login ready to be accessed is minimal, and you've provided some good use cases! We have absolutely no hesitation about forwarding this feedback, but I still want to be straightforward that right now there's no forthcoming plan or timeline to change the web client's login requirements -- I'm afraid that to insinuate otherwise would be irresponsible.

• yinzer

Hi,  I'll add a +1 to the auto-logon requirement

I just transferred over from Verizon, their win10 desktop client used a persistent logon/authentication ... It's cumbersome having to retype my userid/password every day now that i'm on T-Mobile

Thanks In Advance for your prioritization,  -Chris (1st post here)

• tidbits

2loki4u wrote:

Greetings @tmo_marissa

Thanks for your recent words of encouragement...

I'm curious though, as this issue continues to persist and seems to have gone unaddressed for more than a year - is there any scheduled update forthcoming?

The troll postings I've read in this thread, talking about "using post-its" to write down and remember your login is ridiculous - and someone who isn't using some sort of login security in a windows environment - especially a laptop - is simply a fool - Microsoft virtually requires you to login to your computer with a password or bio-metrics by default these days - i do not see the potential theft of a machine as being justification for the Digits app not remembering my login information - this is the least of things I would be concerned with if my computer was hi-jacked or stolen...

If Team_RED was able to do this in the windows store with their messaging app - I can't wrap my head around how, after this much time, Team_MAGENTA hasn't been able to remedy this nuisance... Perhaps the answer is making this a Windows Store app - which requires windows store login to operate - that can be automated by windows environment and forces users to have a password / pin and username to login to the machine...

Any updates would be appreciated...

Best Wishes,

I am curious about me being called a troll because I made a statement out people using post its.  Being in the security field it happens more often than you think.  Even in positions of "power" they do this.  They are using security measures but they write their user and pass on post it because as you said they'll make it easier to login by using easier credentials or as I said use post it because they can't make it easier due to password restrictions.

Hawaii emergency agency password in photo sparks security criticism - Business Insider

Also because you have a password or a lock doesn't mean it's always hard to get in.

Researchers Bypassed Windows Password Locks With Cortana Voice Commands - Motherboard

macOS bug lets you log in as admin with no password required | Ars Technica
                                              https://goo.gl/TCJMpd

So I have been troll posting because I say what I see in the industry.  I mean there are even hundreds of articles out there from writers to who talk to people like me pointing this stuff out for years.  Google is even trying to find ways to remove passwords altogether because of stuff like this.

Google aims to kill passwords by the end of this year | Technology | The Guardian