Group chat problem

support@catercow.com

Hello, a contact of mine is having issues receiving group texts, but he is indeed getting texts when I just text separately. He has an iPhone, and in the group text thread everyone else has an iPhone as well.

Weirdly enough, I do not have the same issue with a separate group thread which is also all iPhones.

Thank you for your help!

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Group chat problem

Hey there and welcome! I'm sorry to read about your friend's messaging woes -- it's super nice of you to reach out on their behalf to make sure they're not missing out on these group messages! Do you know if the group message he's having trouble with is being sent as an iMessage group message, or over the network (you can take a look here for a good breakdown of the difference: Group messages on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch)? Does he miss messages here and there, or is he seeing some, but not all participants' messages? Do his replies reach others?

- Marissa

• support@catercow.com

Thanks a lot for getting back to me! He is seeing no messages whatsoever on the group thread, but is fine when I just text him separately. I'm not sure how he's messaging us (I suspected iMessage was screwing things up). The other person on the thread is also iPhone and he's messaging back and getting responses just fine. It must be that person's particular phone settings...

Any idea how I can debug his iPhone and get his settings to work?

• tmo_marissa

Hmmm... well, it's tough to know exactly how to troubleshoot without knowing if his phone is viewing the messages as iMessages or MMS. These Apple Support steps are pretty helpful when it comes to message issues, because they start with basics that he should be able to answer about his own device and then turn into a fun little "choose your own adventure" for messaging issues (you have to take your fun where you can find it when it comes to phone trouble!).

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Generally speaking, aside from having him look at that, I'd also suggest having him start a group message to see if that functionality works on his phone. It might be a good troubleshooting step to also remove him from the group and add him back, if you haven't tried that yet!

- Marissa