Loosing data connection while on a voice call - VZW branded Samsung S6

ystarost

I have a Verizon branded SamsungGalaxy S6.  I switched to T-Mobile and the T-Mobile store configured all my APN settings. However, rI can only use voice or data, but not both at the same time.  As soon as a voice call is being sent or received, the data connection goes away.  Once the call is over, the data connection returns to full strength immediately.  Please help!

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm, that's no good ystarost. When you look at the phones connection, is it stronger than 2G? You can make sure the phone can connect to the strongest signal available by checking the Network mode option. Please let us know. Thanks!

• tmo_chris

Hey there! Any luck with getting your S6 getting a solid data connection while on a call?

• tmo_amanda

Happy Wednesday, ystarost!

It has been about two weeks since you posted so I wanted to swing by to see if you're still having issues with your data connection while on a call? Please keep us posted if this is still happening as we want to work with you to get this fixed.

• aiharkness

My semi-educated guess is the device is not capable of simultaneous voice and data. 

For reference, we have employer issued iPhones on Verizon. They are likewise incapable of voice and data service at the same time. Up until that time I believed this was a limitation of the CDMA technology.   However, the personal Android Motorola device a colleague uses can do it.  And so far as I know nothing was done as far as settings. We drilled down on both the iPhone and the Motorola trying to get to the bottom of it.  

That's all I know. I don't know the technical explanations. Only our observation. My conclusion is your device can't do it. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try different network settings (make sure not on 2G)  as others suggest. If that fails then feel confident the device just doesn't support that functionality. 

• ystarost

For the record, when I was on Verizon, I was able to have voice calls  and data simultaneously.  I reached out to T-Mobile and after being on a lengthy call with them, they told me that I need to get a new t-mobile phone, because  my original VZW Samsung S6 will not work well on T-Mobile network and I will experience the following:

- every time I drive and  i change cell towers, the call will drop and

- I will not be able to have voice and data simultaneously.

I wish they would have told me that before I switched over.

• aiharkness

It doesn't surprise me, then, that you encountered difficulty such as you describe, given the very different networks.  Agree it would have been very helpful to you to have been told this when you were looking at switching, but I'm also not surprised at that..  In my mind it's buyer beware, and even more so when you BYOD.  Not to be harsh, but the responsibility is all on you.

For what it's worth, I'm a proponent of BYOD.  But I would at least bring a GSM device, and then a GSM device that supports the same network parameters as T-Mobile provides.   Over the years people have made CDMA devices work on T-Mobile, more or less, always with limitations.

Good luck.