drnewcomb2

On Samsung phones, such as the Avant, is there any way to silence Amber alerts without completely disabling them? I learned the hard way that you can be in a concert, meeting or eating dinner in a nice restaurant and an Amber alert will break right through the phone's "silent" mode with that annoying klaxon at full volume. After this happens to you once (for an Amber alert from 300 miles away), you will quickly disable future alerts. When you silence a phone it should be silent, not decide on it's own that it wants to wake up the party whenever it decides to.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Silent Amber alerts?

If it is classed as an Emergency Alert you can turn off the notification(It shows on the S8/S8+ at least).

open messages app

hit the 3 dot menu

settings

Emergency Alert settings

Alert Sound (on by default)

Hawaii rarely gets any amber alerts.  I think the last one we had was 2 years ago and before that I can't remember.  I guess that's a good thing right?

• drnewcomb2

On my Galaxy Avant it only has "Set which alert types to receive." and "Play a sample emergency alert tone".  It doesn't give me the option to select the emergency alert sound. At least I don't see a way to do it.

• tidbits

drnewcomb2 wrote:

On my Galaxy Avant it only has "Set which alert types to receive." and "Play a sample emergency alert tone". It doesn't give me the option to select the emergency alert sound. At least I don't see a way to do it.

This is the S8+  I am going to assume the S8 has these options as well.  I think Samsung newest update will do this to other phones.  Samsung has been updating their Message app through the Galaxy App Store so might want to check there to see if there's an update for you.

Screenshot_20170713-114820.png

• tidbits

Interesting.  I am guessing Samsung is slowly changing how it works.  I will check my wife's phone to see what she has for settings. 

• tmo_chris

That alert sound though....... so loud!!! In looking at the Avant specific settings, I am not seeing a way to change or silence the alert, just a way to disable them I think this is something that is going to vary by manufacturer and OS version. Unfortunately, as the carrier, we have no say in the customization of these types of alerts.

1 of 1 people found this helpful