gillian1969

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5.  In the past few days, my phone has just started playing my playlist from Google Play.  I have been in a different room, not on my phone and it will start.  Is this happening to anyone else?  How can I stop this?  Thanks.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Music has started playing randomly...

Whoa, that would creep me out a little! I haven't heard of this happening here, but I went searching on the Great Wide Internet to see if I could find some solutions for this and it doesn't look like you're the only one to have ever had this problem. Some users were able to isolate the behavior to when they use certain remotes or Bluetooth equipment -- do you notice any patterns about when the music starts? How long has this been happening, and how frequently does it happen? Have you tried disabling or force stopping the app to see if that helps (or uninstalling updates, if that's an option)? It also might not be a bad idea to Wipe the cache partition on your phone and see if that helps!

- Marissa

• gillian1969

This just started happening again yesterday.  So in the past 24 hours, music has started playing twice.  One time I was in another room not on my phone, the other time I was on my phone.

• tmo_marissa

Bummer! Can you try to do the cache wipe again and see if that helps? It may be some stale information that's causing this and a periodic wipe is the solution until the device itself or whichever app storing it gets an update to correct the issue. The other option would be to move forward with a master reset and then try running the device in safe mode to see if the same thing occurs. If it still happens post-reset in safe mode, then you'd know it's a device issue. If it only starts happening once the device is set back up, then it's an app issue. Taking the phone back to factory settings and operating in safe mode before you set it back up from scratch isn't the quickest process, but it's a surefire way to figure out what's causing the problem. When you set it back up, you'd want to slowly add apps back one by one over time to isolate which one is making your Google Play Music go bonkers and act out on its own. Unlike the cache wipe, a master reset does remove personal data from the device -- it makes it just like a new phone out of the box. You'd want to make sure all of your contacts are synced to your Google ID (gmail account) and photos are backed up on your laptop/desktop, or through Google Photos if you're comfortable with cloud storage. What are your thoughts on going that route?

- Marissa