gkg919

I bought a T-Mobile G5 in March and really liked it until DIGITS came out. I experimented with DIGITS and found that it broke my phone. I've been going back and forth with DIGITS tech support ever since, and they evidently have no way to fully turn DIGITS back off again on my line or disable it on my phone.

Now if I try to make a hands free call (as in "OK Google, call Fred...") the call won't go through until I pick up the phone and click on the outgoing line to use for the call, even though I don't have additional lines set up. There is only one choice, and there is no option to set the number as the default. It is annoying, and sometimes a little bit dangerous, to have to pick up the phone and select the number while I'm driving.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Customer Care isn't giving me any options other than to replace this phone under warranty, which won't fix the problem, so I'm almost ready to sell my phone and find another one that doesn't have integrated DIGITS support. I'll give the T-Mobile Engineering team a couple of more days. I won't buy another T-Mobile phone. I chose to buy my G5 from T-Mobile rather than an getting an unlocked G5 at Best Buy because I hoped to get better support from T-Mobile this way. That hasn't proven to be the case. I'm really disappointed, actually.

2017-07-06 16.06.30.png

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: LG G5 and DIGITS

Hey, gkg919! This is a complication I haven't previously heard of, but we'd like to know more about it and help get to the bottom of it if we can. I know that now that DIGITS is part of the network there's not a way to turn it off, per se -- but I wasn't aware that because of the integrated DIGITS, a G5 would keep prompting you for line selections even though you're only using a single line. :/ I know you mentioned waiting on a resolution from our Engineering team, does that mean we've filed a ticket for this already? If you happen to know your ticket number I'd like to take a peek for some updates. If Care was offering or suggesting a replacement, is it safe to assume we walked all the way through a master reset and the integration is still there prompting you to choose a line?

- Marissa

• gkg919

I believe that to reproduce this problem on the G5 you must enable DIGITS, add an additional line to access from the phone, and then remove the additional number. Maybe that is why it hasn't been widely reported.

I worked with Support for over 3 weeks, and I understand that all available provisioning actions were taken to remove DIGITS from my line. I also did a master reset. None of these things changed the situation. I am still asked to choose the outgoing number for every call, and when making a hands-free call, there is no option given to set the number as the default outgoing line. (There is an option to set a line as default when dialing from the phone dialer.)

I replaced the SIM in my G5 with the SIM for another line that has never tried DIGITS. The problem went away. I put my original SIM back, and the problem was back again. That leads me to believe that there is a DIGITS flag that gets set on the line that you don't have controls to turn back off again.

I don't have the ticket number, but a ticket was created. Last week I spoke to Kim and Brandy from the DIGITS Support team about it.

It was too much of an annoyance, so I gave up and bought a new phone even though I just bought my G5 in March. It was kind of a bummer.

• tmo_marissa

Ohhh nooooo! What a bummer. I will definitely report this to the engineering team -- I feel like we need a way to provide a more explicit warning if this is what's going to happen.
              Just to make sure I have all the details, can you take a look here: DIGITS: LG G5 and let me know if you followed the steps to turn DIGITS off and log out of your T-Mobile ID while you were doing the troubleshooting with us over the phone (I feel like with the length of time you worked on this, it's highly unlikely that we missed these steps, but I just want to be sure). Also, can I ask if at any point we tried a new SIM for your line? I am trying to make sure that the issue is related to the phone line itself and not the SIM number (or SIM/IMEI combo).
              Thanks for any extra input you don't mind sharing! I know you've switched devices, but if there is a way to prevent this hiccup for the next user or to update our documents so that we're giving a clear disclosure that what's done can't be undone, we'd like to make sure that we use this feedback well.

Also, out of curiosity, what device did you switch to?

- Marissa

• gkg919

Yes. We tried all of the steps on the page, but we did not try replacing the SIM.

Ideally the phone would have let me use DIGITS with multiple lines on the phone and set one as a default for hands free calls, similar to what the integrated dialer allows. However, the disrupted hands free calling was a deal breaker, so I tried to revert to not using DIGITS, but I was still forced to select the outgoing line, even after only one line remained to choose from.

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for confirming -- it definitely sounds like you tried everything in the books. I'm sorry we missed the opportunity to try with a replacement SIM, since it sounds like the swapped SIM worked! I'll get the scenario forwarded, and the feedback about the ability to set a default line for hands free dialing as well.

- Marissa

• gkg919

Just to clarify, I'm using the same SIM. I replaced my G5 with a G6 (which doesn't have integrated DIGITS), moving the same SIM card, and all is well for me now. I was disappointed to have to buy a new phone to fix a problem that I had no control over, but T-Mobile provided a credit to cover part of the expense, and I am reasonably satisfied.

If there are other experiments that you would like me to try with my G5, I am willing to do them. However, I plan to sell it in the near future to offset more of the new phone expense, so if you would like me to try anything else, it will have to be done soon.

• tmo_marissa

I understood -- I should have been more clear about what I meant by "replace" (new SIM) vs. "swap" (your wife's SIM temporarily placed in your phone), sorry about that! If you received a free replacement SIM when you purchased the new phone, and you feel game for activating it to replace the active SIM on your line and then placing it back in the G5 to see if it still behaves the same way, that would be rad. Then we could pinpoint if a SIM replacement would resolve the issue going forward, or if it's irrelevant and the issue is with the line. That said, you are in no way obligated to play guinea pig for us or spend more of your personal time on this issue -- it sounds like it's already been trying and taxing enough!

I'm glad to read that we were able to come up with a way to help ease your transition into a new device, but I totally understand wanting to get what you can for the old one to further offset the cost. I just got a G6 myself last week, actually! Did you get yours from us? If you did, and if you've still got your receipt and your box to take photos of and upload, then I just wanna make sure you know about this before it's too late:
                      LG On the Go Entertainment Bundle offer

You've got until the 23rd to submit if you're interested!

- Marissa

• gkg919

Thanks for the tip! I'll take advantage of it.

I'm game for activating and trying the new SIM. How should I do it? Do I just call 611 and tell them what we are doing and ask them to activate it?

• tmo_marissa

No problem! It's not the world's hugest projector, but I'm pretty stoked (and I'm thinking my older kiddo will get a big kick out of it if the younger one doesn't break it). Regarding the SIM, you're exactly right. You'd just give us the SIM number and the line you want it activated on and we'd set it up. There are always a few basics we want to cover before you change out a SIM, though, so in due diligence, here goes:

• If you're on a call, the call will drop when the SIM change is submitted, so please don't think we're being rude if you're calling from your own line and it drops suddenly!
                          • Contacts stored on the SIM card will not automatically transfer to the new SIM, they need to be backed up - LG devices typically ask if you're storing new contacts on the device or to Google and I don't remember the last time one of mine offered a SIM option; so this is likely a non-issue, but better safe than sorry.
                          • Voicemail and downloaded Visual Voicemail will be deleted if the SIM changes. You can check here for how to save and download messages.
                          • While most changes occur within minutes, it can take up to 2 hours for the new SIM to activate. Turn off the device and turn it back on during the two-hour time frame until a ‘Welcome to T-Mobile’ text message is received.

Let me know what happens if you decide to go through with it! I'm definitely curious, and it will help to be armed with any extra info when we review this with the DIGITS team/ask to get our content clarified.

- Marissa

• gkg919

OK... I was just getting prepared to call and activate my new SIM and try it in the G5, but before I did, I wanted to make sure the problem was still happening. So, I took the SIM that I have been using all along out of my G6 and put it back in the G5 and powered the G5 on.

While the G5 was booting up, a message popped up saying "Multiline settings account is removed." I tried to make a hands free call using OK Google, and the problem was gone. I was not prompted for which line to use. Either something has been fixed on my line, or having the G5 turned off for 24 hours did something beneficial.

• tmo_marissa

Well, that's a mysterious resolution (and a little behind your necessary schedule). I'll forward the scenario along. Even though we don't know which step worked, or if it was all of them combined with the day of rest, hopefully the DIGITS engineering team can take a look on the back end and determine what might have caused (or solved) this. Thanks for letting us know!

- Marissa