No service or poor service

kateri5

I recently switched to T Mobile and live in area code 30024. I always have either 1 or 2 bars inside my house and very frequently no service. If I turn off my wi-fi, it says E instead of LTE or 4G. I have had no issues when I'm anywhere other than at my house. I'm deeply regretting switching to TM, as I've had nothing but problems since switching. Can someone help me please?

Thank you!

Kateri

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: No service or poor service

Welcome, kateri5! I took a look at this ZIP on our Coverage Map, and it looks like there are areas with excellent signal and areas with fair reception peppered throughout, so it might really depend on exactly where your home is located. If you take a look at your address on the map and select your device, does it look like we should have better service in your area than what you're seeing at home? If what you're experiencing isn't coverage as expected at your home address, the next step would be to have you Contact Us so that we could get a service inquiry filed for your home.

In the meantime, I am glad to hear that it seems like coverage is great around town, and that Wi-Fi calling is an option for you! We do offer some other coverage solutions - a 4G LTE CellSpot or a  4G LTE signal booster - if you're interested in exploring some different options!

- Marissa

• drnewcomb2

Mostly the area around Atlanta is saturated with T-Mobile's signal.

Let me ask you some questions:

1) What phone are you using?

2) Is the problem just inside your house? How's the signal outside?

3) Is your house situated in a "hollow" or down in a valley?

4) How old is your house? Does it have metal siding or an aluminized mylar vapor barrier under the siding?

5) Is there anything wrong with using WiFi Calling or a personal CellSpot inside your house?

• kateri5

According to the coverage map, the signal for T Mobile is only fair at my house. 

I am using an iPhone 6 plus.  The signal outside the house is about the same.  I didn't have any problems with the signal with my previous carrier.  I only ever have 1 bar of coverage and that's with the wi-fi.  It goes in and out between 1 bar and no service.  When I switch the wi-fi off, the 4G struggles and is really bad, so I've had to switch it back to wi-fi.

My house is not in a hollow or down in a valley.  It's in a suburban neighborhood. 

The house is 21 years old and doesn't have metal siding.

I talked to technical support and they are sending me a CellSpot to see if this helps the signal.

This is just super frustrating with me, as I've never had issues with my signal before moving to T Mobile.  And, the switch to T Mobile was painful and a difficult process, so I'm kind of regretting my decision to switch to T Mobile. 

• drnewcomb2

One issue you are having is the iPhone 6+. It's a fine phone but it doesn't have band-12. Some other carriers (e.g. Verizon & AT&T) have 850 MHz (band-5) and/or 700 MHz (bands 17 & 13). For some unknown reason, when Apple designed the iPhone 6 (and 6+) they left off the lower end of the 700 MHz band (a.k.a. band-12) which T-Mobile uses for range and building penetration. This was added with the 6s.

I hope the CellSpot solves your service problem. I don't recommend you buy a new phone with band-12 right now. T-Mobile recently won huge licenses for 600 MHz (band-71), which they will be rolling out over the next few years as the incumbent TV stations are relocated to lower channels. You should probably wait until phones become available with band-71 before buying a new one.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • tmo_marissa

kateri5, sorry to read that the switch didn't go smoothly! Are there any issues with your transition that we can help with?
                    I'm glad that we've got a CellSpot on the way to you!

- Marissa

• kateri5

Marissa,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and helpful answers.  I had a bunch of trouble right in the beginning with not being told the truth how the transition would happen to port over my 4 numbers, which lead two of my family members to be without phone coverage for 24 hours.  It has been resolved and if we can get this poor signal boosted up to a better signal, I'll be happy.  The CellSpot is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so we'll see then.

I do appreciate your help! 

Kateri

• dragon1562

This is pretty much answered but i figured i would ease your mind and tell you that the cell spot will indeed improve your service. Also wifi calling is just as good of a solution as the cell spot should you choose not  to use it.

• kateri5

Hi Dragon1562,

I do plan to use the CellSpot when it arrives tomorrow and hope that it helps boost the signal and improve my service.  I have no issues with using wi-fi at all but even with wi-fi, the signal is either 1 bar or no signal and that's not working for me. 

Thanks for your answer!

Kateri

• kateri5

I received the CellSpot yesterday, set it up with no issues, turned off wi-fi and now have FIVE bars in my house!  Thank you everyone, we have a great signal and I am happy!

Kateri

• tmo_marissa

Kateri! That is fantastic to read! I'm so glad the CellSpot worked out, and also that it was easy to set up (because heaven knows that's part of the battle sometimes for me). Thanks for hanging in there with us and giving it a chance!   And just in case we hadn't said so already, I'm sorry that you weren't warned about the porting process -- I'm glad that your family members were safe during their period without service, but a heads up would have been invaluable. Thanks for letting us know we dropped the ball there -- we can forward that feedback.

- Marissa