No Visual Voicemail - iphone 7+

cfarley27

Hello,

I recently switched to Tmobile and lost my visual voice mail.  Whenever I get a voicemail, it sends the transcription as a text message and does not appear in my VVM tab in the phone application.

Additionally, whenever i do click the VVM tab in my phone app, it dials into the voice mail.

I have done the following:

1. Called Tmobile to add VVM

2. Spoke to TMobile help and tried to troubleshoot there

3. Reset Network Settings

4. Reset VM PW

Can anyone help me get VVM back on my iPhone?

All replies

• You've done about all you can do. T-Mobile would have to set that up in their end with a network trouble ticket for engineers.

Also. Reach out to Apple. VVM uses Apple servers. They can possibly help too.

• tmo_mike_c

Re: No Visual Voicemail - iphone 7+

Hey cfarley27  were you able to get this resolved? We really wanna make sure your VVM issue gets squared away. Please let us know. Thanks!

• tmo_chris

Hey cfarley27,

I am glad we were able to figure out what the issue is but snn_555 is right, we can most definitely get this VM - Text feature removed from your account without changing your plan. We have many users on the TMO One plan that use iPhones and their VVM works perfectly fine. Please Contact Us again when you have a free moment so we can pull up your account and make the necessary changes.

• csbowe22

Hey @tmo_chris, thanks for confirming that this is indeed possible!  I was beginning to suspect that T-Mobile simply did not support VVM on iPhone.   I'm in the same boat as cfarley27 where the support person I spoke with said that VM to Text was not able to be removed from my One plan. 

What do you suggest I say to the next person I talk to in support so I can get this resolved? 

• Also worth mentioning is that DIGITS does not play well with iPhone.  I had to remove DIGITS altogether before it was a freebie on ONE to get VVM to work on iPhone.  They say it has been added back, but I'll never mess with that disaster again now that I have VVM working again.

• magenta2960905

I just switched from my old T-mobile plan to a ONE Plus plan and I've run into this same issue. VVM still works, but the unread notifications on iOS no longer appear and I get the text message transcriptions. I also get the T-mobile caller ID which prevents iOS call blocking apps like Hiya from working anymore.

I chatted 2 days ago to ask about removing the VVM / Caller ID features, as they interfered with iOS provided functionality. The support agent claimed they did so, but nothing changed. I just chatted again and was told the following:

With regards to your concern, I am afraid that the Named ID and Voicemail to Text features are bundled to the One Plus Data Plan as what it has been created. If you really like to remove it, you will need to remove the data plan.

So, is there an upper tier support number or something that can actually assist with this? I want the other features of One Plus, but it's not worth it if it forces me to keep these VVM / Caller ID features.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, folks. Apologies that we let this thread slide without noticing the shift in context between the original reference to T-Mobile ONE and the mention of ONE Plus. Many thanks to magenta2960905 for pointing it out on a new post.
                    We wanted to return here and let anyone who is still wondering or happens on this thread going forward know that we are not able to split services off of the ONE Plus bundle -- our system provisions them as a set, and there isn't a way to break individual services out at this time. That said, we'll be forwarding this thread and the new one that referenced it on as feedback, so we appreciate the time everyone here took to provide their reasons for wanting a way to break the ONE Plus service down. Thank you so much, and again, we're sorry that this snuck under our radar!

- Marissa

• yozh

Hello,

Was this ever implemented ? I just switched from ATT to TMobile and I cant get visual voice mail working on my iPhone 8 Plus. My line is the only line with the One Plus and I can not get visual voicemail working or disable Voicemail to Text, or get Name ID disabled... Does make sense that I cant get this feature enabled/disable separately..

• magenta3566869

Hey guys!  Been on hold with Mobile for the past 20 mins.  I called to simply request that they remove the "feature" voicemail to text.  I also have an iPhone and the One Plus plan.  VVM no longer works for me either.  Just recently switched from Verizon.  I am getting the sneaking suspicion that I will be told the same thing and will ultimately have to disable my One Plus plan.  I'll give you an update once they come back on the line... lol

• yozh

I was able to get this restored today with out removing One Plus, using the chat.

• magenta3566869

Well I now have 30 minutes invested in this phone call so surely if they can do it using chat, this guy can do it as well....  But just in case... where do I access the chat feature?  On my phone or is it somewhere on this webpage we are currently on?  Sorry for the dumb questions but I am new to TMobile.

• magenta3566869

UPDATE!!  Apparently they did not completely set up my visual voicemail in the store.  Apparently you have to contact them to turn on that feature.  It started working as I was on hold.  As for the voicemail to text, they are telling me that if they remove the voicemail to text feature that the name ID feature would have to be removed with it as it is part of the One Plus bundle.  So it looks like you can disable the feature but not without sacrificing the name ID.

• yozh

Very intrestin, they turned off voicemail to text for me and Name ID still works, I want to turn it off, but they told me they cant with out removing One Plus.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                            • magenta3566869

Well I spoke too soon.  He managed to do something because my old voicemails from today did populate the visual voice mail screen on my iphone but any new voice mails are no longer being routed to VVM.  This is extremely frustrating!

• magenta3566869

Well I tried the chat option to attempt to have the voicemail to text feature disabled last night and was told that they had disabled it and that I needed to give it 2 hours to take affect.  Guess what??  This morning I get another freaking text!  I‘m chatting with them again this morning and now this person is apologizing for the last person giving me incorrect information.  She is asking me if I want to disable One Plus!  You should consider yourself very lucky that you were able to get it disabled from your account because apparently there are only a handful of people that can do that. 

• magenta3566869

I am being told this morning via chat that the only way to remove the voicemail to text feature is to remove One Plus. 

• magenta3566869

9A80FCA7-4500-446C-B4A5-DD9454EC969E.png

• magenta3566869

2C70FA7E-737A-45D6-A561-6823371B08FA.png

• yozh

Hi,

I guess I did get lucky, I spoke to ben and here is the transcript below, I hope you get it taken care of, if they want an example number I can give it to you via PM. If you figure out how to mananage Name ID let me know.

You: I switched to Tmobile yesterday with 5 lines

13:01, Dec 18

You: everyone else line Visual Voicemail works fine

You: my line its not working at all

Ben: Let me take a look into that for you.

You: I need to turn off the voicemail to text feature

13:04, Dec 18

Ben: Im not seeing the visual voicemail feature added to your line

13:05, Dec 18

You: ok

You: how is that possible ?

You: do you know which line I`m reffering too ?

13:06, Dec 18

Ben: I am looking at your line ending in XXXX, there is not voice mail to text feature added to it.

13:07, Dec 18

You: Its part of the One Plus

13:08, Dec 18

You: I need to remove since it is annoying, but at the very least I need to have Visual Voicemail on the phone working

13:10, Dec 18

Ben: I updated the Voicemail feature for you. It is now on Visual Voice mail instead of Voicemail to text.

13:11, Dec 18

Ben: Everything should be good now. Sorry for the mix up.

13:11, Dec 18

You: let me try

13:12, Dec 18

Ben: Okay, let me know what happens.

You: WOW

You: you did it

You: thank you

Ben: WOOHOOO!!

You: so the voicemail to text is gone ?

13:13, Dec 18

Ben: You are most welcome! Glad we got that sorted. If you ever want it back we can switch it over for you.

You: ok

You: 1 more question

You: anyway to disable NAME ID ?

You: and only NAME ID ?

13:15, Dec 18

Ben: Let me check.

13:17, Dec 18

Ben: Because that feature is included in ONE PLUS we cannot disable it unless we remove the ONE PLUS feature.

13:20, Dec 18

You:

You: well that sucks

Ben: I know, Im sorry.

You: its very annoying

• magenta3566869

Could you share exactly how you were able to do this?!  It seems as if there are a handful of people at TMobile that can actually accomplish the impossible.  Since you and Yozh have managed to get this removed, I am hopeful that I may eventually be able to as well.

• soundguyandy

Hi Marissa,

As of July 1st, this is incorrect. I spent a while going deep into this via Twitter with the help of Mariah, one of the members of John’s Executive Social Media Team, and she managed to figure out how to disable Voicemail to Text on the One Plus plan without losing the rest of the features, so that those of us with iPhones (and the built in transcription) don’t have to get the messages twice as SMS and voicemail. She told me she was going to write up a note explaining how to distribute to the support team to make sure everybody knows how to do it for future customers who ask. If you haven’t already seen that note, please look for it, or perhaps you can reach out to her directly for more details? It would be great if you could confirm the details and let future customers here know exactly what to ask for to get that sorted in the future!

Thanks, and best of luck to the rest of you!

• tmo_marissa

Hey there, yozh and magenta3566869 -- thanks for chiming in here, and for sharing your experiences. I'm sorry that I didn't see your posts yesterday, and that you've been receiving different information when you've been reaching out. I double checked our internal One Plus add-on details to see if there had been any changes, but I'm sorry to say it's not possible to deactivate or remove individual services (like Voicemail to Text, Name ID, and Gogo in-flight) from the feature. We appreciate the additional feedback here, and can definitely understand that in these use cases the feature would be improved by an ability to modify the included services. I wish I had better news to share!

• yozh

tmo_marissa wrote:

Hey there, yozh and magenta3566869 -- thanks for chiming in here, and for sharing your experiences. I'm sorry that I didn't see your posts yesterday, and that you've been receiving different information when you've been reaching out. I double checked our internal One Plus add-on details to see if there had been any changes, but I'm sorry to say it's not possible to deactivate or remove individual services (like Voicemail to Text, Name ID, and Gogo in-flight) from the feature. We appreciate the additional feedback here, and can definitely understand that in these use cases the feature would be improved by an ability to modify the included services. I wish I had better news to share!

Hi TMO_Marissa,

So how were they able to take it off for me ? You did see my transcript ?

• tmo_marissa

I did! I wish I could speak to what steps were taken to complete this -- we don't have account access in the forum, so I can't see what steps were employed on the back end, or honestly confirm that this will be a permanent fix.

What we can go by here are the internal documents about this feature, which say that the feature can't be split. I hope this keeps working for you, though! I'd honestly love to hear feedback in 72 hours if this is successful -- please keep us posted! If there's an opportunity to forward this information up to have these documents corrected and a process laid out for our representatives, then I'm happy to go that route!

• yozh

tmo_marissa wrote:

I did! I wish I could speak to what steps were taken to complete this -- we don't have account access in the forum, so I can't see what steps were employed on the back end, or honestly confirm that this will be a permanent fix.

What we can go by here are the internal documents about this feature, which say that the feature can't be split. I hope this keeps working for you, though! I'd honestly love to hear feedback in 72 hours if this is successful -- please keep us posted! If there's an opportunity to forward this information up to have these documents corrected and a process laid out for our representatives, then I'm happy to go that route!

I`ll try to remember to reply in about 72 hours, but I have a coworker who has been on TMobile One Plus since October and he said VVM always worked for him since day one... I really do hope this is perm....

• tmo_marissa

I'll set myself a reminder in Outlook to check in with you next week once the crazy rush of the season is over! I honestly hope it is, too -- I would way rather be wrong and work with our broader team (the Community managers here are part of T-Mobile's content team) to get the documents corrected than be right, in this case!

• magenta3566869

Well I called 611 about an hour ago and asked the nice lady if she could remove the voicemail to text feature while keeping the One Plus.  She put me on hold and when she came back she said it had been done and that all I needed to do was power cycle my phone.  I did as was instructed and then callen my cell drin my office number.  Now you can no longer even leave a voicemail.  I called 611 again and was told that the last lady had actually disabled my voicemail entirely.  I guess that’s one way to do it.  Lol.  This really is quite rediculous.  This is making me reconsider my choice of switching from Verizon. 

• tmo_marissa

I'm sorry, magenta3566869, that's such a bummer. We don't want you to regret the switch, either! I honestly have to tell you I can not find any steps for completing the change that you want, and the One Plus document we have internally calls out that it's not possible. I understand wanting to try, especially when there's anecdotal evidence to the contrary here from another customer. If yozh is still not receiving their messages via text next week I fully intend to gather some additional info from them privately and pass it up so that we can update our documentation with a procedure, but in the interim, it would be irresponsible of me to encourage you to keep reaching out to accomplish this based on an account that I can't review personally to check the steps taken. I'm so sorry!

- Marissa

• magenta3566869

I appreciate your help...  I would be happy for you to review my specific account.  How do I go about contacting you directly?  I just assumed that you would be able to see my account seeing as how you work for T Mobile.

• tmo_marissa

I totally understand how that seems reasonable -- but because the Support Community is a public user forum, we don't have a secure method to verify a customer's account, so we're not able to access individual accounts or make changes from this forum. Typically when a user's concern requires account access we'd refer them to our T-Force team, the social media Care group on Twitter and FB, since in those channels we do have a verification method built in. In this situation, though, since everything I have at my disposal (and we access the same internal documents as T-Force or Customer Care) says that these features can't be separated, I didn't feel it prudent to recommend that you reach out to them because I don't want to take up your time.

When I mentioned to yozh that I would check back in and collect information in a week if their current experience held, I'd then pass that information to our engineering team to check traces on the back end and confirm that what our info says is "impossible" is, in fact, possible after all. Then we could work with them to get our content updated accordingly. But right now we need to give it some time to ensure that it's successful.

I know that it's frustrating to have folks tell you different things, and I'm sorry that this is happening.

- Marissa

• yozh

tmo_marissa wrote:

I totally understand how that seems reasonable -- but because the Support Community is a public user forum, we don't have a secure method to verify a customer's account, so we're not able to access individual accounts or make changes from this forum. Typically when a user's concern requires account access we'd refer them to our T-Force team, the social media Care group on Twitter and FB, since in those channels we do have a verification method built in. In this situation, though, since everything I have at my disposal (and we access the same internal documents as T-Force or Customer Care) says that these features can't be separated, I didn't feel it prudent to recommend that you reach out to them because I don't want to take up your time.

When I mentioned to yozh that I would check back in and collect information in a week if their current experience held, I'd then pass that information to our engineering team to check traces on the back end and confirm that what our info says is "impossible" is, in fact, possible after all. Then we could work with them to get our content updated accordingly. But right now we need to give it some time to ensure that it's successful.

I know that it's frustrating to have folks tell you different things, and I'm sorry that this is happening.

- Marissa

tmo_marissa I`m happy to report it is still working and no txt when VM is left. And I think my real billing cycle started. I`ll try to remember to report tomorrow.

• magenta3795469

This is a really disappointing failure. Count me as another customer that will be leaving T-Mobile thanks to this.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, all. I just wanted to check in here and see if any of you fine folks who have contacted our Tech team have been given any ticket numbers regarding your VVM issues. Can you let me know a little about how this conversation plays out? Are we advising you that VTT (Voicemail to Text) is what's causing the issue with VVM on your iPhones, or has anyone had a ticket filed with this response as the result?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

• yozh

Im still here and still trying to help,

when I chatted the person told me specifically that, VTT is on and needs to be disabled, once he did disabled it, VVM started working.

• tmo_marissa

Thanks, yozh! I have your info and I appreciate it, thanks for confirming that the chat rep you worked with advised you that VTT was causing the trouble. The team I've reached out to are curious about any examples we have filed with ENG that show that VTT is causing issues with VVM functionality -- ticket numbers, specifically, if they're available.

• jughead135

Any updates to the above?  This is the only meaningful thread I've found on this topic, and it stopped back in January.

I'm a new T-Mobile user.  Still trying to decide if I like the VM-->Text functionality.  What I **don't** like is that my iOS VVM isn't working ("Unable to Transcribe This Message"), AND there are no badges for un-heard vms showing up.  Either way, I'd like to be able to selectively enable/disable the various features.

• jughead135

EDIT FOR FOLLOW-ON:

I found a suggestion online (non T-mobile site) to enable the password for the iOS VM.  I did so, and the iOS transcription started working again!  Unfortunately, it also broke the link from the TMO VM-->Text.  I tried disabling the password, and now the transcription is working in both places.  (IOW:  1) set password; 2) enable password; 3) disable password)

Badges still not working--the badge will show up momentarily, then disappear right as the TMO VM-->Text message arrives.  It appears that the the VM-->Text system "listens" to the message as far as iOS is concerned.  That's annoying.

As I say, still trying to decide if I like the VM-->Text feature, but, either way I'd like to know if there's a way to turn it off!

• troyboy1752

Is there an update with any useful information on how to get this fixed?  I switched over from ATT with 3 lines this week because of the great military discount deal and instead of my native voicemail that was on my iphone, I'm forced to use "call voicemail" to check my messages and get an annoying text message for voicemails.  I called and they are supposed to get back to me within 72 hours.  This was after multiple calls and a couple hours on the phone of resetting network settings over and over.  This seems like it should be an easy fix if others have been able to use Apple's native voicemail instead of T-Mobile's.

• tekfranz

I am having this issue as well. My new T-Mobile iPhone does not have Apple‘s Visual Voicemail in the Phone App. The tab is there with a small box that says “Call Voicemail”. I have been through basic troubleshooting with T-Mobile and Apple.

Now T-Mobile has filed a trouble ticket for me.

• tekfranz

Okay Engineering came back and said there isn’t a problem on their end and Apple said no problem on their end. They want me to try a different sim...

• tekfranz

Yay! I am getting Apple Visual VoiceMails! I chatted with a T-Mobile rep and had them remove the Voicemail to Text feature and the Visual VoiceMails started coming in.

• tmo_marissa

To the new users on this thread -- welcome! Sorry for the delayed reply here; posts on older threads are sometimes a little harder to catch.

jughead135 -- could you share a little more detail on what steps you took to get this working? Do you have the T-Mobile ONE Plus add-on on your line? kfran

tekfranz -- I'm glad to hear this was removed for you; do you mind letting me know in a little more detail on the situation? Did you have the T-Mobile ONE Plus add-on? Did our reps explain that VM2T was the issue; or did the ticket results say that -- and would you be kind enough to provide the ticket number?

troyboy1752 -- thanks for joining, sorry that this is your welcome! How are things going now -- any progress?

All: I reached out to our internal teams about this issue back in January, and the response I received was essentially that the ONE Plus features are bundled and there's not presently a way to split them, but they'd love to see engineering tickets that support that VM2T is what's causing the issue with iOS native VVM. Essentially, the ask is this:

... any of you fine folks who contacted our Tech team when you noticed these issues have been given any ticket numbers regarding your VVM trouble. Can you let me know a little about how this conversation plays out? Are we advising you that VTT (Voicemail to Text) is what's causing the issue with VVM on your iPhones, or has anyone had a ticket filed with this response as the result?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

• tekfranz

Marissa,

Yes I had the T-Mobile ONE Plus Add-on.
                                                                                              Unfortunately, the reps insisted on their end that everything was setup correctly on the Account.
                                                                                              The results of the Trouble Ticket also were no issues found as well. The ticket number is 19806168.

Despite being configured correctly, Apple Visual Voicemails were not coming in and the screen simply said to "Call Voicemail".

So I finally decided to ask very simply for the Voicemail to Text feature to be removed. The Rep removed it and the Voicemails started flowing in shortly thereafter.

It would appear like both the Voicemail to Text feature and the Apple Voicemail feature cannot both be configured for Voicemail usage at the same time and removing the Voicemail to Text feature allows the Apple Visual Voicemail to work correctly.

• jughead135

>So I finally decided to ask very simply for the Voicemail to Text feature to be removed. The Rep removed it and the Voicemails started flowing in shortly >thereafter.

tekfranz:

Are you saying that you were able to get the VTT feature removed (but still have all the rest of the ONE Plus features)?  That would contradict what's been posted about the "bundle"....

>It would appear like both the Voicemail to Text feature and the Apple Voicemail feature cannot both be configured for Voicemail usage at the same time and >removing the Voicemail to Text feature allows the Apple Visual Voicemail to work correctly.

This is contrary to what I'm seeing.  I had the same problem you did (VVM not working at all); see my response to Marissa after yours for the details, but toggling my password on & off got them playing nicely together, EXCEPT for the Phone app badges....

• tekfranz

Yes I chatted with a rep and asked for the VM to Text to be removed because I have Apple Visual Voicemail and the rep did remove the feature. As far as I can tell the OneOlus Plan is intact.

I no longer get the texts and the Voicemail badges update as well.

Earlier I had tried toggling the Voicemail Password on and off and didn’t see any immediate results.

My Account  is the business variant of the OnePlus plan if that makes a difference.

• ronl62

Hi tek,

I called support and simply asked the lady to disable the VM to text feature and told her my reasons. She came back after a brief hold and told me she's disabled that feature and that I would have to power down the phone, wait a minute then fire it up again.

I did... and nothing. VM to Text is still active and my VM app window simply says ""Call Voicemail."

I cannot believe after all this time and all these complaints that T-Mobile hasn't had a meeting of the minds over this issue and just freaking fixed it!!

Ron

• jughead135

jughead135 -- could you share a little more detail on what steps you took to get this working? Do you have the T-Mobile ONE Plus add-on on your line?

YES, I have T-Mobile ONE Plus.  At the time of my initial posting, I was on the Amped-UP plan (which includes ONE Plus); I have since switched to the Military ONE, with the ONE Plus data add-on.  All of my functionality is identical since I switched plans.

What I did to get the iOS VVM working, as stated in my first post:  I established a password for the VVM (which I'd never used before), then I enabled it (i.e., password required to view vm).  That got it working as before (albeit with a password), but stopped the TMO VM>>TXT feature from working.  Then I disabled the feature, and BOTH are working.  (So, I didn't really "change" anything--just the turning on & off again of the pw feature seems to have shaken something loose.)

This plays into my theory that, however the TMO VM>TXT feature does its thing "under the hood," from iOS' point of view, it's "listening" to the voicemail.  When I get a voicemail, I momentarily will see a badge on my Phone app icon (as designed), indicating an un-listened vm is in the queue--and, right as I get the incoming text from TMO, the badge goes away.  [Note for troyboy1752:  the voicemail is still there, in the "inbox"--there's just no badge to indicate, since it's already been "heard" (insofar as iOS is concerned).]  Combine this with the password blocking the TMO VTT feature (it can't "listen" to the vm because it doesn't know the pw), and I'm pretty convinced this is what's going on....  The solution, I assume, will involve accomplishing the transcription WITHOUT making iOS think that the vm has been listened to.  (While they're at it, let's have an on/off switch!)

I'm really happy with my TMO service overall.  I have two gripes:  One, this feature should have an on/off switch.  The "ONE Plus features are bundled" excuse is weak sauce, indeed.  Leave it bundled, by all means, but give me a switch to turn it off!  (That's true for ALL features of ANY given plan--let me use [or not] each feature as I see fit!)

Two, the badges being broken is really annoying.   I shouldn't have to lose functionality on my phone in order to enjoy a feature enabled by my service provider

• jughead135

ronl62:

Yep, that's exactly where I am now.  And, yes, it's a pain.

• tekfranz

Yes, if the texts are still coming through and they have disabled the feature, it is NOT really disabled like mine. I wonder if you try again with a different rep if it might work or perhaps try to file a trouble ticket. But I no longer get the VTT and I am happy for that.