Samsung Galaxy BOGO offer misleading

ccferret

I recently took part in the Samsung S8 BOGO offer.  I was assured from the store that I would have no problems with getting this offer.  I had an unlimited plan and all I had to do was add another line to the offer.  I had the store check as I was one day search EBay for a phone since my old phone was acting up.  The EBay offering stated that they were selling a Samsung S7 due to T-Mobile refusing to give them the BOGO offer.  I was concerned and the store assured me all would be fine.  I added a line got the two phones and found out a few days ago that it was not honored.

The reason was stated that my plan didn't qualify for the BOGO.  Now they state in FAQ that each promotion has limitations but never LISTS any plans or offers.  I did the BOGO promotion and have to enter phone number, promotion code, and it has you apply for the offer and you have to agree to the terms which BTW you cannot see other then the GENERIC certain plans are not qualified.  Well it turns out my unlimited plan is excluded from the offer.  I have a grandfathered unlimited plan which the BOGO offer doesn't apply to.  It would be nice that one could find the information out easily before doing this offer.  Now I am trying to talk to T-Mobile but getting nowhere fast.  1)  Talked to a representative who said my plan doesn't cover this.  2) talked to a manager who didn't understand why my plan isn't covered as it is an unlimited plan but came back to me and said now that it is excluded (I have asked for the inclusive list but gotten NOWHERE).  3) Asked to talk to her manager and was suppose to get a call in 30mins, that was yesterday. 

So I went to the store last night and they were as surprised as I was that it was excluded and were very apologetic, while that is nice it doesn't solve the problem.  They want to have me move from my current plan which is SimpleChoice (80 for 2 lines + 20 for another two = 100+20 tax=120 total) They want me to move to their new plan which is 180 without autopay and 160 (5 per line off) with autopay.  which is clearly 40 more per month.  They also said if I went with kickback which is if you use less then 2G per month they credit you 10 per month it would be the same 120 I have now.  First of all it offends me that I have to do autopay (although after I found out I could do a credit card for this I feel a little better about it) and second of all I believe this is bait and switch due to the fact that they aren't truthful up front on what plan you must be on to get this.  This is also conditional on me not using a lot of data which I really don't but still it insults me.  I want them to stand by what is right considering I have been a customer for over 10 years.  The store did offer to try to get some money off as well which they already did 100 for me (which I appreciate) but isn't close to 750 the phone costs.  They say if I don't change plans that they might be able to get me some more but maybe only 100 for a total of 200.  The store is waiting for the account manager to get back to them to see if they can do better.  I am being honest here T-Mobile about my experience, can't you be?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Samsung Galaxy BOGO offer misleading

Hey, ccferret. This post is a huge bummer to read, and I'm so sorry you're in this situation.

We offer a lot of great promotions, and we should be doing our due diligence to check for eligibility for them before we get you signed on, every single time. Based on what I know about the price of an S8, the BOGO definitely doesn't make sense if you have to complete a plan change that increases your bill by more than the value of the device over two years' time. I know our Simple Choice plans are grandfathered, so there may not be an option to add just the unlimited data features that would make these lines eligible, but is that an option we had the opportunity to address? Does at least one of the two lines that you upgraded already have an unlimited high speed data plan -- the new one, or the existing one? Have you received the call back you were waiting for?
        On a general level, I appreciate the feedback you're providing regarding being transparent about the promotion requirements. I understand that adding the caveat "qualifying service" in the fine print isn't the same as providing the detail that only unlimited lines with unlimited high speed data plans on Simple Choice or T-Mobile ONE are eligible. We're working on getting content up with a little more detail for customers, although I know that listing every qualifying data plan in the internal jargon we use to refer to them (which is by five-letter code that seriously won't make sense unless you undergo training!) is not likely, at least more information would be helpful. I will absolutely forward the feedback about this situation on to our internal team, not just because it seems like we could have done a better job of vetting your account here, but also because missing a commitment to follow up with a customer is not cool at all. I also understand that changes going forward don't solve the predicament you're in already. We want to make sure we're looking over any other options we have to make this right for you, too. Can I recommend our T-Force team? You can reach them on Twitter (@tmobilehelp) or Facebook (via FB Messenger), so that we can securely verify your account and take a look to make sure there are no other options for resolution here. Please let us know if there are any updates, and thank you so much for taking the time to post here.

- Marissa

• magenta3279725

Has it been resolved yet ? I just order using the BOGO offer and I am also in the same plan. I repeatedly asked Customer care executive if the offer is valid for the plan I am in and she repeatedly answered 'Yes'. i copied and pasted the chat conversation just to make sure they don't deny in future. Still keeping my fingers crossed. Very skeptical because very few customer care in T-Mobile as responsible and have complete knowledge of the things they are dealing with.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta3279725! We can't see your plan from this public user forum, but we do want to make sure we're doing our best to help! This post refers to an offer from June of this year - can you tell me which rate plan you have, which data plans, and which BOGO you're trying to participate in? I'd be happy to check the terms for you!
              I know you mentioned you reached out to our Care team; that's great! Did you work with us via T-Force (Twitter or FB) or through the live chat option?

Thanks for posting, please let us know a few more details and we'll see what we can dig up for you!

• magenta3279725

I am talking about the new BOGO holiday offer that started on 11/17/2017

Cell Phone Deals | Black Friday & Cyber Monday Phone Deals | T-Mobile

It says "New or existing T-Mobile customers who purchase an Apple iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 8, or 8 Plus on EIP – and add a line of service with a qualifying rate plan – will qualify for a rebate"

Like before It doesn't give the details on what plan are qualified. I am in Simple Choice plan with grandfather option. One customer care denied saying my plan don't qualify but she wasn't able to explain why I don't qualify. Then I started chatting to another customer care executive (Isaiah) from T-Mobile and she confirmed that my plan is eligible. She connected me to sales team and Lacey from sales team confirmed both verbally and over the chat that I do qualify for the offer and I proceeded with purchasing 2 iphone 8 plus. Infact somewhere I saw that the max limit is $700. I asked if it is $700 or full price of second phone, for which she confirmed its full price of second phone. Still keeping my fingers crossed because I never know when someone will deny and I get into trouble of paying full for 2 phones which I definitely don't agree to.

• tmo_marissa

Aaaah, I've gotcha, magenta3279725.
                      There are certain Simple Choice data plans that will satisfy the Unlimited high speed data option and others that won't. I'm sorry to say that an internal team is going to have to qualify the plan against the list -- which is a bummer; since clearly you received conflicting information! I know the FAQs call out a little bit more detail --

• Activate at least one new line to be used with one of the new devices.
                      • Purchase both smartphones on the same account through our 24-month no-interest Equipment Installment Plan (EIP) with 0% APR.
                      • The new line of service must have one of the new devices purchased on EIP attached to it.
                      • Pay the required down payment and any applicable device taxes at time of purchase for each smartphone.
                      • Remain active on an eligible T-Mobile ONE or select Simple Choice with paid unlimited data rate plan, with active EIP and in good standing at least through the receipt of the prepaid MasterCard® card (up to 8 weeks from date you submit your rebate information).

But you're right, it doesn't list plan by plan. To be entirely up front, the only reason I can think of for this is that there are dozens upon dozens of plans. At this point, there are also a few different T-Mobile ONE plans as well -- so the intent is for a member of our team with account access to verify your eligibility for you.

Since we can't look at the account here; and the different answers you've received previously have you (understandably) concerned -- I'd strongly recommend reaching out to our T-Force team. They're our social media team on Twitter and Facebook. In those channels we can securely verify your account details and see what data plans are on your Simple Choice lines, and check them against the list we have. You can ask our representative to consult the list in internal document #435738 to double check.

I also wanted to touch on your other concern. In the FAQs, it mentions that: New or existing T-Mobile customers who purchase an Apple iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 8, or 8 Plus on EIP – and add a line of service with a qualifying rate plan – will qualify for a rebate off the retail price of the phone of equal or lesser value (up to $700) via Prepaid MasterCard® card.

The $700 amount does match what I see on our internal version of the promotion guidelines as well. I know that neither of these things were the answer you were hoping for, and I'm so sorry we dropped the ball and gave you misinformation previously.   I'm glad that you reached out here to double check, and I sincerely recommend checking in with T-Force to make sure that the info about the plan was accurate! We'd hate to see you miss out if there's something we can do to help.

• magenta3279725

So what you mean is that all information given to me by customer service is wrong. Your response to previous posting and my posting only sounds like full of excuses and just trying to safeguard the wrongdoing done at T-Mobile.

Around June 27th you only mentioned "we should be doing our due diligence to check for eligibility for them before we get you signed on". Now we are 5 months ahead and we still dicussing the same issue.

We are least bothered how many plans t-mobile are running. All matter to me is what plan I am in and I should be given information based on my plan.

In yet another issue, my friend in my account went for crusing. While on crusie ship, he called customer care and asked if there will be any call charges if he makes the call from cruise. He was clearly informed that there will be no charges. Based on that information he made calls when needed. Now when he returned back, he was charges approx $450 at the rate of $3 per minute. When we raised this concern to T-Mobile customer care he blindly came into conclusion that these are legitimate charges and we will have to pay. We called up again and this time we found even stupid customer care representative Mr. Vince. He wasn't even clear where the call charge are coming from. First he mentioned call charges are from XYZ calls. When we said no its not from X-Y-Z, he changed his version and said the call changes are from A-B-C. When I asked him why was I given wrong information from customer care executive, he replied it is not possible. Finally I asked him to retrieve the previous call recording with CSR and see if it was a wrong information or right nformation. If it is right, we will make the payment but if the conversation is misleading or wrong, T-Mobile must reverse those charges and asked him raise a dispute on call charges. He confirmed he will surely retrieve the call recording and update me within 48 hours. Its more than 10 days now and I have no update. During the call he was offensive as well, he said he will give $5 credit as courtesy which will be a big help to me. I warned him not to talk like this as we are not talking about $5, we are talking about $500. I will prefer donating for good cause but I am not ready to pay the wrong charge.

Now when I was speaking to some other CSR yeaterday, it came to my notice that the stupid CSR Mr. Vince, instead of doing research on miscommunication, he silently put a creadit of $20 without my knowledge and there is no further action taken by him.

Its totally an irresponsible act. If the rate $3 per min was correctly informed, it was our responsibility to decide what calls are urgent and what now based on the rates. If it is free or $0.10/$0.20 per min, we could not even bother to make calls. But if it is $100 per min, we will simply switch off the phone for the whole duration. My point is that you cannot simply miscommunication and then charge anything you want to. Its an error from T-Mobile and they should take the responsibility and reverse the charges.

• tmo_marissa

To be up front, magenta3279725, without reviewing your account, I'm not able to say whether the plan is eligible or not. Since our Support Community is a public user forum, we don't have the ability to verify your account and take a look at the rate plan and data plans to match them up with the list of eligible plans ourselves. I hope you were given correct information by the representative who told you that you were eligible, and that it was the representative who advised you that you weren't who was not correct; since definitely that would be better for you! But you mentioned receiving different information, so I would encourage a double check. This is why I provided the document number with the list -- if you can let the representative you're working with know that document number, we can check what we see on your account against the list once and for all and make sure that you have accurate information.

Regarding the cruise ship roaming, I'm very sorry to read about the experience that you had over the phone -- it doesn't sound like the representative made you feel supported or heard; and even when we're in a situation where you're disputing a charge we should be able to review the situation with you with kindness.  I know that our Traveling Abroad and Roaming Fees page has an option to enter the cruise line you're travelling with to get details about the rates, and when customers connect to one of the towers we send a message that should read: Free T-Mobile Msg: Welcome to <country/cruise line>. Out of plan coverage. $0.50/text and <$X.XX>/min talk. For info call us for free +1 505-998-3793. to give them a heads up about charges and so we can look those details up for them if they're already travelling but haven't had a chance to research prior to leaving. Do you know if this is the message your friend received that gave him the number to call? We should also send messages while charges are accruing, as well. I believe a representative with account access would be able to review the system memos on your friend's line to confirm that these advisements were sent. If we dropped the ball, then hopefully there's a way we can make it right.

I appreciate the time you're taking reaching out for assistance with both of these issues. I'm sorry that we're not able to safely verify your account from here. I know I mentioned this previously, but I really do recommend working with our T_Force team. They have a great track record of helping folks out, even in unusual situations. We should be able to check into the system memos from the period where your friend was roaming, as well as using that document I mentioned (#435738) to review your plan for BOGO eligibility. I know you've mentioned you're interested in having calls reviewed as well -- I want to be up front that the message you hear when calling in, that calls may be recorded for quality and training purposes, doesn't mean that every call is recorded, and they're not stored indefinitely -- however, you are definitely welcome to ask and I'm confident that we'll do what we can to review any calls that are available. If we haven't already, it sounds like we need to review the follow-up commitments on the account as well and make sure that feedback is forwarded for the outbound call that you were expecting and didn't receive.

None of the experiences you're describing -- conflicting information, missed commitments, uncaring responses to your concerns -- are the experience we want for our customers. We appreciate the feedback, and the time you've taken to provide it. I sincerely hope you'll give our teams with account access another chance to make this right. Thank you again.

- Marissa

• magenta3279725

Sorry for the typos in my post. It was so happening that every key I pressed, it used to take me to top of the page. So most of the content are typed without looking at the actual typed text.

Whatever you are writing here should be "THE APPROACH" to handle the situation. In forum like this, there are lot of viewers. With one to one call, whatever discussion happens remains in close arena of two so it might be possible they don't care what they are talking as it doesn't go public.

Today I spoke to account manager and she has promised me to look into the billing issue and she will update me soon. I will update you as soon as hear from her.

• tmo_marissa

I'm glad you reached out about the billing concern!

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean by this statement: Whatever you are writing here should be "THE APPROACH" to handle the situation. In forum like this, there are lot of viewers, but if I'm understanding it correctly, I want you to know that the approach I'm mentioning - of checking the plan against the list, is the one that we should all be following internally. The internal document about this promotion contains a link to the document I've given you the number for, with the list of eligible plans to review. If we dropped the ball and didn't review this list- either in telling you that your account was eligible, or in telling you that it was not, then I'm very sorry.

• bradgrant

It took me an entire year to get them to fix the damage they did. Good luck. Be wary! Also switching to an eligible plan will make you ineligible.