Slow txt's since software upgrade on S6 Edge

codo

Since I took the software upgrade around June 8th my S6 edge has been intermittent in sending txt’s .. Sometime it goes through other times up to 30 mins or fails.

I have searched the issues with and tried what others have said.

I have deleted all the old txt’s

I performed the wipe cache feature

New Sim card

Spent 2 hours in the T-mobile store with the rep who was technically good with RSL on the line .. They were able to re-create the problem but not fix it

I have read online it is a firmware issue with the Galaxy S6 edge .. So I asked T-Mobile to roll back the update. They said they can’t as it will void the warranty. Why did Tmobile push this update out if some phones are having isues

After all the troubleshooting with them they were going to replace it, then I was advised .. it out of warranty and won’t be replaced..

The phone worked fine before the update , and now im stuck with a useless phone ……. HELP !!

Does anyone know how to roll this update back

Frustrated in Dallas

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Slow txt's since software upgrade on S6 Edge

Oh codo  that's super rough, but I appreciate the steps you've taken to get this fixed. Can you try putting the phone in Safe mode and testing out your messaging? I'd like to see if you notice a difference.

• codo

Hi Mike

I have been bouncing back and forth between safe mode the past few days. I do see improvements in safe mode .. Is there a way for me to run in regular mode and disable certain groups of apps at a time  I can't run in safe mode all the time. Or is there any diagnostic tool I can use to show what apps are running when the txt's get hung up .. I keep it pretty low on Apps already

Thx

Codo

• tmo_marissa

Hey, Codo! Sorry for the delay in response here. It's great that you're getting somewhere with Safe Mode, but you're right, no one wants to operate that way forever. There isn't a way to disable apps in groups, but you should be able to disable them one by one in settings. The other (admittedly more harsh) solution would be to complete a Master Reset, then instead of restoring completely from a sync, slowly add apps back one by one until you notice the problem happening again. Maybe start with any third party or OTT messaging apps? Can you let us know if you're able to pinpoint the problem that way?

- Marissa

• magenta2077363

My Galaxy S6 has been having problems with group texts since the update as well.  It causes all texts to stall.  I have to power off phone, sometimes 3 times, before it'll start sending and receiving texts.  Didn't have this problem before.  Was on a tmobile chat last weekend.  I was also told I could not roll back the update. I did customer satisfaction survey. I was not very positive.  I got a call a few hours later and was told I would get contacted by someone.  Have not heard back.

While on the t-mobile chat, I was told to download a third party app for messaging, so now I'm trying Facebook messenger.  I've done device maintenance and optimized it. I have cleaned storage and memory. Very frustrating.  My perfectly functional phone is now a major source of frustration.  I use texting for work, so this is a major inconvenience.

• tmo_marissa

Sorry to read this, magenta2077363. I know it's been some time since you chimed in here -- have you noticed any improvement with the third party messaging app? Did we recommend any other troubleshooting steps first -- like a cache wipe, or the Safe Mode test that Mike mentioned above? We'd love to get your phone working perfectly with the native applications rather than have you rely on something else!

- Marissa

• codo

Hi Marissa

I had to switch back to my S4 last week as I had some important txts to my kids that wouldn't send and caused tons of stress and a missed pickup .. This morning i switched back to the S6 and I will uninstall or disable all the apps on the s6 and leave them on my S4 with wifi or hotspot on . I also found that some of the push notifications were not coming down, they would show up on the s4 but not the s6. So there is actually 2 issues I have noticed.

So here will be my troubleshooting steps

• Uninstall or disable all possible Apps
                  • Master reset
                  • Have phone unlocked and test with another carriers sim

Ill get back to you in a couple days on the first of 3 steps. This is very frustrating and I would prefer just to rollback to the old software version, as this one is not working for me and my basic apps

Regards

Codo

• tmo_marissa

Gotcha! My kids aren't quite old enough to text yet, but messaging with their caregivers is vital, so I can easily imagine how important it is to be able to communicate with your kiddos directly. Please keep us posted on how these steps play out! I'd recommend using Safe Mode after the reset, rather than restoring immediately, so that you have a chance to see how your phone does without any apps loaded. Thanks for trying all of this out!

- Marissa

• tmo_mike_c

codo what about your phone? Can you give us an update one how yours is doing? I totally get this being very frustrating but the list of steps you've suggested are a very good idea and we'd like to know the results after the tests. Thanks.

• magenta2077363

Hi, Sorry, have been unable to reply earlier. I went into the team mobile store and they replaced my sim card. This substantially improved my group texting ability.  Sometimes, it still stalls on a group text, but I can see it still shows sending in red text, so I know to reboot it and it clears it.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • codo

Hi MC

I uninstalled or disabled 25 App's last week and have been adding some back in every couple days.  I have re-added some of the ones that were not getting any push notifications

I have added back in

Twitter - wasn't receiving push notifications ,, presently is

Teamsnap - wasn't receiving push notifications ,, presently is

Nest

Ecobee

Today I added

Smarthings - wasn't receiving push notifications

Ring - wasn't receiving push notifications

Life 360 and Snapchat are next --

Presently my Txt messages are going through as i would expect no major delays..

Once I get those back and tested then ill go to my less important app's

Thanks

Codo

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Please let us know if you still need any help.

• codo

Quick update

I'm still adding app's back with no major issues.. But all my major apps are back in ..

At this point I'm more in lookout mode for if it happens again. It hasn't happened in days and before it would be daily

Fingers crossed that when I deleted all the apps the bug was also removed

Thanks

Codo