jim92

I'm getting an inexpensive deal from a website selling a galaxy j3v phone. Only problem is that it stated that it was locked with Verizon.

Is there a way of unlocking this phone? If not it looks like I will have to switch service providers :/

I've googled it for a while now with very little results.

Discussion successfully moved from Other Android Discussions to Not Sold by T-Mobile Discussions - Marissa

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Can the J3v be unlocked to work with tmobile?

The specs I can find for this phone say it has these bands:

2G bands    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)

3G bands    HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

4G bands    LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300)

So, what will work on T-Mobile is GSM-1900 & UMTS-1900 but none of the LTE bands will work with T-Mobile.

So, on whole, I'd say it's not a good choice for T-Mobile.

*If you're in Myrtle Beach, SC you'll probably get band-5 LTE but that's the only place.

• stevetjr

As drnewcomb2 said frequency wise it doesn't look that great as far as data goes but for it being "locked" to Verizon, no Verizon phones are carrier locked as they can't be since they made a deal with the FCC which their end of the deal is that all Verizon branded phones must be sold unlocked.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • drnewcomb2

The problem is that the phone whose specs I found does not have Verizon's bands either. So, something is wrong, either with the data I found on the site or the nomenclature jim92 used. OK, somehow I got the wrong phone or something. Here's another set of specs:

CDMA:800 MHz

GSM:850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz

UMTS:850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz

LTE (FDD):Bands 2, 4, 5, 13

Which looks like a Verizon phone. So it's GSM-1900 OK, UMTS-1900, OK. LTE bands 2 & 4 OK  No LTE band 12, not so great. I also don't know if the phone will support T-Mobile's VoLTE but it's not nearly as bad as the first specs I found.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • jim92

Well, my old phone only ever achieved 3G so it's not such a big deal. Since it is already coming, it is a relief to know I can put my micro sim card in with very little fuss. It does not appear that a micro sim card is very widely sold with Verizon either, they're pushing their nano cards hard, which would make switching an even bigger headache.

Looks like I can stay with T-mobile ^_^