magenta1938100

I cracked the screen on my phone in September 2016. I then processed an insurance claim which included paying a $200 deductible after paying $700 for the original phone. T-mobile's insurance company sent me a refurbished phone. On May 11, 2017, my iPhone 6S Plus purchased by T-mobile popped up with a 'No Service' in the upper left corner although there was an active T-mobile sims card inserted. I immediately went to T-mobile to have them look at it. T-mobile said that it was not their phone. I then sent the phone to Apple. Apple did a full diagnostic of the phone and stated that it is in fact a T-mobile iPhone. They also stated that the reason for the 'No Service' issue was due to unauthorized modifications done by T-mobile. I then contact T-mobile again and they said that it was nothing that they could do because the warranty on the phone was up. At that time, I was told that the warranty was only for 6 months versus 1 year, what a coincidence. T-mobile stated that I could process an insurance claim which would consist of another $200 deductible. I stated to them why do I need to process an insurance claim and pay a deductible for something that T-mobile did to the phone to cause it to go out. At this point, I am paying for phone services that I am not able to use because I do not have a working phone and cannot afford to purchase a new one. I have entered a BBB claim hoping that they can help me with this situation. This discussion is for those to receive a refurbished iPhone from T-mobile and have issues. Apple stated that they see this all the time and service providers such as T-mobile should not be refurbishing phones and that they should send them to Apple to take care of. Service providers are not authorized to refurbish Apple product, only Apple can.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Hey magenta1938100,

I am very sorry to hear that your phone is giving you troubles! If you processed this insurance claim through our insurance provider, the phone keeps the same warranty the original device had which we will honor if anything happens to the phone that is considered in warranty such as a sudden ability to no longer get service. If you have insurance on your line, you should also have our extended warranty and we can still honor a device exchanged even after the standard 1 year manufacturer’s warranty expires.

Since a lot has happened since you first had the phone replaced under insurance, we are going to need to take a look at your account to see what options are available. If you have a Facebook or Twitter account, I would recommend that you reach out to our social media care team T-Force using the FB/TW icons in my signature. They will be able to pull up your account and help find out what options are available to you based on when the phone was originally purchased and the features you have on your line.