Nougat and USB connection

magenta1922071

Ever since I updated to Nougat last week I have been unable to connect via USB.  I bought a new OEM data cord over the weekend, tried several different computers and cords through out my home/work and my phone stays on charging only.  Has there been a work around besides going to developer options because that didnt work either.  I have a Samsung S6 Edge. Again recently updated to nougat and I cant connect this phone with anything by any cord new or old.  It worked fine with every single cord in my collection prior to the update. Thank you for any help as i am completely frustrated.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Nougat and USB connection

Well that is no good at all! When you plug the device into your computer, do you have anything in the notification bar that you can tap on to enable USB transfer?

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta1922071! Just wanted to check in here and see if you'd had a chance to look over Chris's question. Can you let us know what you see on your device or on the computer when you connect the phone?

- Marissa

• magenta1922071

I can not connect the phone to the computer.   No computer, car, laptop

recognize the device. The phone charges with the usb just fine. I sat with

Samsung for over an hour with them troubleshooting and they say its the

hardware. It just doesn't make sense how something worked hours before the

update and after,  nothing.

• tmo_marissa

That does sound strange -- and I'm sorry to read you got such a confusing answer after over an hour of troubleshooting with the manufacturer. Did they recommend a warranty exchange? Was that an option?

- Marissa

• magenta1922071

I think because my phone was purchased as a preowned phone there is no

warranty or an option to exchange the phone.  Nothing was offered.   They

factory reset my phone,  so the only thing offered was enjoy the hours it's

going to take to reload everything back on your phone lol

• tidbits

Did you install the drivers, and did you check the pull down and see what connection options you have?

• magenta1922071

Yes. As advised earlier,  Samsung went through all steps. There were no

options in a drop down menu on phone.  They remotely logged on my phone,

even went into developer options.  We also added/reloaded drivers on 2

computers and a laptop. Nothing.

• tidbits

Did you remove the drivers restart the computer.  Install the drivers again without using the UAC(right click and run as admin).  Make sure you don't have have any USB apparel connected(other than keyboard and mouse).  When that's complete restart the computer.  Once that is complete plug the phone in and let me know the details.  This worked for a lot of people who had the Note 5 with this problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • tmo_marissa

What an uncool offer that is!
                                It seems like tidbits has done this a time or two, and I definitely defer to him on knowledge of all things Samsung (I'm an LG user after switching from the Galaxy S3 to LG devices a zillion years ago) -- did you have a chance to take a look at the rest of the advice he laid out here? Maybe there's some magic in the process if you follow these steps in this order of operations!

- Marissa

• tidbits

Also make sure battery saver apps are disabled or uninstalled.

• magenta1922071

I deleted the driver, restarted the computer.  I reloaded the driver and installed as admin.  Re connected the phone and nothing different happened.  The phone just says android system - cable charging.  I cant change from just charging to MTP

• magenta2090307

I am having the same problem.  To say it is a hardward problems seems like a bit of a handwave to me, to get the problem to go away.  I've tried a lot of things.  Two cables and two computers.  (Albeit I don't trust one computer too much).  I had no problem just before the update.

Now my two windows 10 PCs cannot see the phone.  All the options to select MTP on the old Android OS are gone. 

• magenta1922071

I feel the same way you do but after going back and forth with so many ppl

and trying this thing after this thing,  I've honestly just given up. My

phone is out of warranty and I can't afford anther at this moment.  I could

understand if these dumb things were more affordable but I'm not a consumer

that can afford a new phone every year when they release another one. And I

don't know who else i can turn to after Samsung themselves and talking with

T-Mobile. If you ever find something that works,  please keep me updated.

Not having direct access to my phone is the pits!

• magenta2090307

I found a useful workaround.  Since I could not get my USB to work any longer, and I am now transferring files wireless.  One free App that seems to work pretty good is AirDroid.   First you download it on your phone.  Then you download it from their website to any PC that you want to transfer files to/from.  You set a free account with your email address and password.  Then you use the internet to transfer files back and forth between your phone and PC.  It is kinda cool, because your phone can be far away when you download to PC.  Of course, if phone is not on WiFi, beware Data use charges on your phone's mobile Data line. 

• magenta2090307

Just a follow-up and note.  AirDroid works pretty well.  Not quite as simple as USB copying.  But it has a lot more features over just USB copy also.  NOTE:  After my phone was connected for several hours to my PC, it suddenly started showing up on the PC USB connection.  I am able to do USB file copying again.  Not sure what happened.  I have my 32 GB phone almost totally full of pics and movies from my vacation (I wanted to copy them to my PC to free-up space).  Maybe the PC was trying to scan the entire phone drive or something before recognizing the phone.  I don't why it started suddenly working again.  I tried several reboots of phone and PC before to no avail.  A note to everybody:  Maybe just wait 6 to 24 hours when you first plug phone USB in the PC, and maybe it will start to work.  If you are tired of waiting or that doesn't do.  Try AirDroid, it is nice (maybe installing that fixed my phone USB????). 

• tmo_marissa

Hey again, magenta1922071! I'm sorry to read this latest update about your phone's warranty status. It looks like magenta2090307 was in a similar situation and found a workaround and was ultimately able to get his USB working again, too! How is everything going for you? Did you have luck following along with his suggestions?

- Marissa

• magenta1922071

It did not work

• magenta1922071

The main reason I want my usb port to work again is for the access in my car via android auto. Ive had Honda replace my radio,  since it was under warranty,  talked with Samsung,  talked with T-Mobile.  It's clearly the phone,  which is no longer under warranty.  I leave my phone connected via cord to computer all day while at work,  it has yet to re-find itself on the computer.  Ive tried all the programs offered by Samsung.  I tried the airdroid but again it does not help in the main area I want it to. Thank you for your assistance but this subject is now mute

• tmo_marissa

Gotcha. Thanks for coming back to let us know, I promise I'll keep my eyes peeled for any additional posts about this, and let you know if we hear of any other related or similar issues, workarounds or solutions, even if they're strictly for Android Auto, since that's your main concern here!

- Marissa