How do i delete contacts from the cloud?

I deleted the contact from the device but that does not delete it from the cloud.

All replies

• debjitjdv

Re: How do i delete contacts from the cloud?

Go to the DIGITS app -> Contacts Tab --> Go to Cloud -> Press the three Vertical Dots on the right hand side -> Select Remove contacts from Cloud.

This is for the Android App. Similar for the iOS app as well.

I don't have the 3 vertical dots.  In fact, I can't even ADD a contact from with the app.  The + sign is grayed out. 

• debjitjdv

Which OS are you using? Android or iOS? Please provide these basic info so that I can share appropriate screenshots.

iOS 10.3.0, Digits v1.0.38

IMG_0563.PNG

IMG_0564.PNG

• debjitjdv

IMG_0564.PNG

tap the highlighted symbol highlighted with red. Then you shall see all the options..

That icon is gray so it does nothing.

• debjitjdv

That icon is grey because you have no device contacts to upload into the cloud. Create a device contact and the icon will be come alive.

That contact is "on" the device. I am unable to remove him from the device and cloud. When on "Device" I can slide the contact to the left and get the red delete button but when I click delete he does not go away. I don't want to import all my contact in my phone as these are personal contacts. The digits line is for business.

• debjitjdv

1. Looks like some sort of stale data.
                                        2. Disable DIGITS line in DIGITS app
                                        3. Log out from DIGITS app and make sure you delete all data associated with DIGITS app by unchecking at the log out prompt
                                        4. Uninstall and reinstall DIGITS
                                        5. Re log in and see what happens

Thank you. I will give that a try.

Afree following your advise, the stale data is now gone but I still cant add new contacts. The + button is still disabled.

• debjitjdv

Ok. Do you have any device contact at all? Can you go and see if you have all your device contacts in iOS stock Contact app? If they are there, they should show up at the device section of contact tab in the DIGITS app. If you do not have a contact in device, then that icon will stay grayed as there is nothing to upload.

I do have contacts in the stock app, I just did not import them because they are for personal use and the digits is for business. I wanted to keep them separate.

when I initially installed the app I imported my contacts and when I deleted them out of digits, it also deleted them from the stock app.

• debjitjdv

This does not sound right. If you have uploaded contacts into the DIGITS cloud from the Contacts Tab of DIGITS app by pressing the icon, then device contact should get synced to DIGITS cloud and will be available on other DIGITS connected device of yours.

AF10F2BE-9058-4329-906B-9BA4285B3E76.PNG

Now while you are in the cloud tab of Contacts tab, if you press the icon again, you will get only 3 options:

1. Refresh Contacts (which resyncs with device contacts and upload any device contacts to cloud or removes any contact from cloud that no longer is present in device since the last sync)
                                                          2. Sync from this device (uploads all device contacts to cloud and overwrites any existing cloud contact)
                                                          3. Delete Uploaded Contacts (which deletes or cloud contacts but IT DOES NOT DELETE ANY DEVICE CONTACT)

Now I just uploaded all my device contacts to DIGITS cloud using Sync from this device and then removed Delete Uploaded Contacts which cleaned the cloud but IT DID NOT DISTURB any of my device contact as expected. I believe while deleting from the cloud you did something wrong. Thats why it removed the device contacts as well. .DIGITS have no permission to alter Device Contacts. I tested this a few mins ago in my iPhone 6 with iOS 10.3.2. and DIGITS app 1.0.38 and it works.

So I would suggest please put some contacts in the Device Stock app and try to upload again in the cloud and then try to remove them from cloud, It should and would work.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, 3022416072!

debjitjdv is a huge help with DIGITS and has offered some great advice. Did the last steps that he provided work for you? If not, please keep us updated on this post so we can get things sorted out with your contacts.

It worked, kind of.  It was stale data so after following his instructions, I was able to remove the contact.  But, I am still unable to ADD contacts unless I import my contacts from my iPhone.  This is not ideal since I want to keep my business and personal contacts separate.  If I delete the contacts from Digits, it also deletes them from my iPhone.  I am able to add contacts on my iPad Digits without having to import the contacts that are on my on my iPad.

• debjitjdv

This is very very weird. What do you mean by import from iPhone? Do you want DIGITS contacts to directly save a contact in cloud as a stand alone app? And I am not sure why deleting from cloud deletes your in device contacts, This just sounds impossible. I tried this in iPhone and Android DIGITS app and never my in device contacts were deleted when cloud were cleared. Which delete option are you using?

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here Do you have any update for us?

• 3022416072

Update:   The only way that I can add contacts to digits is if I allow its access to my iPhone contacts.  If I allow it access to my iPhone contacts upon installation of the DIGITS app I can then add contacts to the DIGITS app    The issue is that I do not want my iPhone contacts in my DIGITS app.   If I don't allow digits access to my iPhone contacts upon installation of digits,  the  +  button is grayed out and you can't do anything with contacts within digits.

When I installed DIGITS on my iPad my iPhone contacts did not import into DIGITS but I can add contacts into DIGITS without any problems.  When I installed DIGITS on my iPad my iPhone contacts did not import into DIGITS but I can add contacts into DIGITS without any problems

I just added a contact from my iPad into DIGITS as a test.  I saved to the cloud and it synced to my iPhone .   The iPhone does not have a way to delete the contact but the iPad does but when I hit delete on the iPad the contact is still there .

• debjitjdv

Go into settings of your iPhone and go to DIGITS app. There you can occasionally switch on or switch off DIGITS's access to iPhone contacts. In that way even you granted contact access during installation DIGITS can access contacts later. When you need to add contact to cloud, allow contact access to DIGITS, save the contact to cloud and then once contact is saved, then switch off DIGITS's device contact access.

• tpchicago

I think this gets a little ugly folks.

I have also struggled with the cloud contacts feature of Digits. There is no easy way to delete your entire list of cloud contacts (when I hit the three dots in the app and then hit "delete uploaded contacts" I get the spinning wheel of death forever. No contacts are actually deleted. Then I tried deleting the contacts one by one, from the cloud tab in the app. Disaster. Not only do they get deleted from the cloud, but they also get deleted from my device, and in turn, from my Google contacts. This is not good. I ran through about 10 contacts before I checked and they are gone. This is a MAJOR bug. Do not delete your cloud contacts via the app. You may lose them from your device and forever. I'm on Android and my contacts are kept and managed in Google Contacts.

This is no longer a beta and this has to be fixed. We should have a place on the web where we can easily add, delete, edit contacts in the T-Mobile cloud. Contacts are core to this app and service, and if they can't get that right, it's a non-starter.

Please someone tell me I'm wrong about this.debjitjdv was helpful to folks, so mentioning.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, tpchicago! Just wanted to check in here and let you know that we replicated this issue -- created a contact, synced it to the cloud, deleted it there, and noted that it was also deleted on the device. I am having a rough time finding anything internally that specifically calls this out as a known issue, but to get a little closer to figuring out if this is an error or expected behavior (in which case we can absolutely forward the feedback) can I ask for clarification... debjitjdv, when you create, sync, and delete a contact from DIGITS, is it also deleted on your device?

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for clarifying, folks. I'm going to try to get some extra (expert) eyes on this! I'll let you know what I hear back ASAP.

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

OK, all! Here's what I've been able to gather so far. First, the DIGITS contacts process isn't as clear cut as a separate address book than the contacts that are already on your device. Per the DIGITS team, DIGITS should work like this:

1. We read first from the device's address book

2. If you have contacts placed in the cloud from a different device, we show those

3. When you operate on a contact in the application, you're either dealing with the local device contact directly (edit, create, delete), or if you're in the cloud section you're just viewing the contact and can't do much with it.

Regarding the desire for a separate list of work contacts inside the DIGITS app (different than the contacts list on the device), I was given a workaround to suggest. Bear with me, it's a little long!

1. Install the DIGITS app on the device that already has your work contacts, even though you're not going to use DIGITS there long term.

2. In the contacts tab, upload that device's contacts to the cloud

3. Then go to your personal device and install the app, and it should bring in the contacts that have already been stored

4. When you're in the contact tab, select "Cloud contacts" and those should be the business contacts you've already uploaded from your work line

Let me know if that makes sense!

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                        • debjitjdv

tmo_marissa It makes sense. But having two devices with Work Contacts and Personal Contacts seem to be infeasible. The App dev team can easily solve the issue and it needs very little work. Please pass the following to the team:

1. Introduce a Select Contact Feature in the Contact Tab
                                                          2. Introduce an Upload Feature of the selected Contacts to the Cloud

In this way even if someone gets a new WORK contact, he/she can easily upload it to cloud if needed. It is a more feasible solution and need very little work. Please ask me questions if I am not clear. Android already provides selective contact delete feature by pressing the contacts a little longer. So integrating the above two steps in DIGITS app should be a cake walk.

• tpchicago

Marissa,

The only problem I have with what you describe is that under the "cloud"

tab in the Digits app (on Android) you can delete the contacts. I agree you

can't do anything else, but the fact that when you delete a contact from

the T-Mobile cloud (wherever that is...) it also deletes the contacts from

your phone, and potentially from Google (as that's where the contacts on

the device typically come from anyway.) You should at least pop up a

warning when deleting a contact from the "cloud" tab that warns the user

that their contact could be deleted permanently from your device.

There simply has to be a better way to manage your T-Mobile cloud contacts.

You guys should have a website where users can go to edit, add, delete,

etc. contacts and they should only show up on the cloud tab.

My two cents.