Google Pixel XL video calls don't work

insubordinate_churlish

My wife and I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and we were able to bring our Google Pixel XLs with us. One thing we noticed is that we don't have the ability anymore to video call through the native phone app with anyone else on T-Mobile the way we were able to with other Verizon customers previously. The feature worked when we were on Verizon but no longer does on T-Mobile. Whenever someone on T-Mobile tries to video call us, their icon for video chat is grayed out. For us, the icon doesn't appear at all. I accessed the hidden phone menu only to find that the Video Calling Provisioning is turned off and is grayed out, not giving me the ability to activate it. T-Mobile tech support is out of their depth as the Pixel is not a T-Mobile supported device (like the Galaxy S8 for example). If you can't buy the phone in their store then their support is minimal. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

This one is kinda tough to resolve because our T-Mobile devices have T-Mobile Video Calling built in and are set up to work on our network. It can be a bit tricky when you're using a Non-T-Mobile device because the support we normally provide is for configuring the settings. Have you tried double checking the APN settings? If so, can you test out the data and see if you're able to connect to T-Mobile's LTE network? You could also try testing it on Wi-Fi to see if you get a different result. Please let us know how it goes.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi! Just checking in to see if you've given the suggestions above a shot. Please let us know. Thanks!

• insubordinate_churlish

When you say check the APN settings, I don't know exactly what you mean. But I can confirm that our phones regularly connect to your LTE network, VOLTE works (HD calls work just fine), T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling also works just fine. Video chat doesn't work on or off Wi-Fi though, even when talking to other T-Mobile customers.

• tmo_mike_c

Okay, let me clarify. APN settings are there to help configure your phone to allow MMS and data to work on T-Mobile's network. Since you can use data, I imagine the settings aren't the issue. If it's not working on Wi-Fi either, that could mean something else is going on. Is the other party using a video calling capable phone? It's also important that you both have a solid connection so it'll work. Please let us know. Thanks!

• tmo_amanda

Happy Friday, insubordinate_churlish!

After taking a look at this thread, I wanted to point out that Video Calling isn't available on your device. You can take a look at the device it's available on here. We don't have a way to activate video calling on your devices as we don't support them. I know you were hoping to hear from other users that have run into this same problem and have maybe found a way to get video calling working. We'll keep this thread here in hopes that others will chime in.

• kalvynyst

insubordinate_churlish, I literally went and created a username to reply to you. :-)

Good news: My wife and I just activated our Google Pixel 2s yesterday (bought from Verizon, mind you), and as soon as we popped in our T-Mobile SIMs, were able to video call.

I also tested it with my friend and his Galaxy S8+ and it also worked, right from the native Google/Samsung phone apps. No T-Mobile support needed!

Maybe T-Mobile doesn't have GSMA UP RCS and all that lovely sketchy goodness... but they definitely have worked with Google to ensure these new devices (probably the old ones, now) work seemlessly (I don't even like that word).