lcangler

I switched my Mom who is 94 from my Sprint account to Tmobile couple of weeks ago.  She is on a pay as you go since it is mostly for emergency use or when she is away.   I checked the coverage map for her home before I switched and it was shown as 4g/LTE.  So I figured it was good.  Bought the Alcatel Go Flip phone for her since that is all she can use.  Well there is absolutely little to no signal in her house.  It is not a metal box but a regular wood frame home.    Most of the time it is one bar to no bars.  Luckily it has wifi calling, but she is 94.  If wifi hiccups at all and she loses the wifi, she has no clue how to reconnect or anything.  Therefore cellular calling is a must.  I called the store I bought it from and they advised to call customer care.  The first time I called I didn't have her phone with me, but supposedly she connected it to another tower and told me a few settings to change.  Went to her home changed settings and still no signal.  I called customer care and this time got a foreigner that was extremely difficult to understand.  I was on the phone with him for 30 minutes.  He eventually said it was an area wide problem and they were working on it.  He would call me back in 3 days.  I said "for 2 weeks?"  I don't believe it for a minute.  A person from another store told me it is a well know problem that tmobile has spotty coverage in homes that's why they provide boosters.  But since this is prepaid she is not eligible for it.  I think that sucks.  In good faith, I bought this phone and service looking at the coverage maps.  What good is it if its not accurate or false.  Now I am stuck with an $80 phone, $20 on her account and no signal.  BTW somehow we have blown through 30 minutes of the monthly plan just trying to troubleshoot the dang thing. 

All replies

• lcangler

Re: No signal

This right here is an example of my frustration.  No response to my earlier post.  No way to get through to someone who can actually give me suggestions and/or alternatives.  Customer service seems to be dead everywhere now a days.

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, lcangler  I'm really bummed that we let you down on a few different levels, but I do wanna see this get resolved for you. I have a few questions about this. Is it mostly just a little signal or mostly no signal at all? You could try a manual network selection to see if the phone finds T-Mobile and connects. Has the phone been used in any other locations to see if the problem is just at her home address? If you're getting no signal in only this location, you'd wanna have our Care team file a Service Complaint to get our field techs to check out the sites in that area. My apologies this hasn't been great for you since you signed up, but keep us posted on this so we can give you some help. Thanks!

• lcangler

The phone gets a great signal at my home.  I live maybe 5 miles from her.  One of the techs on the phone supposedly connected to another tower which did nothing.  The phone goes back and forth from one bar to no signal.  I know this because everytime it goes to wifi mode the phone dings with a notice "now on wifi".  Some days it does this constantly at her house.  I have no idea what the guy that I spoke with Monday did in regards to a service complaint.  I've called twice now with the people on the other end having real questionable knowledge of anything.

• tmo_mike_c

Oh man, we should have clearly told you what was going on with the complaint. It can take up to 3 days to get a response back on the ticket, so there should be some info on it by now. Did they give you the ticket number? If not, that's okay because our Tech Care teams have the tools to look it up with number it was filed for. Keep in mind, that Service Complaint isn't a guaranteed fix after 3 days, but engineers should have some notations as to what's going on.

• lcangler

I gave him my cell number and he promised someone would call in 3 days.   My question to someone is If I can't get her phone to work right in an area that is supposed to have 4g/LTE coverage,  can I get a refund on that phone and go somewhere else.

• tmo_mike_c

Oh no, sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving. What think we should do is have Tech Care revisit the Service Complaint. You've given us some great information about what's going on, and I feel like that's the best chance we have at getting this fixed for you. If you're still wanting to go somewhere else after that, you'd have to speak with our cancellation team but unfortunately, if you've passed the buyer's remorse return period, I can't guarantee you could return the phone for a refund.

• lcangler

I don't want to leave.  I just want a signal in a place that should have one.  Its a gsm compatible phone, so I can take it with me regardless.

• tmo_mike_c

We don't want you to leave either. We just want your signal to work. As I mentioned before, the service complaint is gonna be the best bet on figuring out what's going on in that area. Since the signal is better in another location, I doubt the phone is the issue. All we need is engineers to check that out further and hopefully they'll be able to makes some changes that'll give your mom the signal she needs.

• lcangler

So, no contact whatsoever from service complaint on Monday.  I didn't figure I would get a call back. 

• tmo_mike_c

Okay. With the complaint being filed on Monday, there should be an update on it. My apologies if we promised a callback and didn't make that happen. You can reach out to our T-Force team via the social links on our Contact Us  page. The folks with account access are able to look up your complaint and check the status on it. Sorry to hear this has been taking quite some time, but we do wanna get this resolved for you.

• lcangler

I canceled my account and got a full refund on the phone.  No offense but all I got was blah, blah, blah we're sorry.  No call back, no solutions.  The guys in the local store were great but your coverage sucks and your customer service is no better.  No way will I ever recommend someone going to T Mobile.

• tmo_mike_c

Okay. That really makes me sad, and I really wish we could have given you more help. My apologies that we didn't get back to you. For what it's worth, I do appreciate you coming to our site and giving us feedback.