happyme_

i am a tmobile prepaid customer. i got a new phone as i was traveling out of the country. i realized after leaving that my iphone 6 was locked to tmobile so i could not use a local sim. so i contacted customer service and they told me they will unlock my phone. i confirmed twice and they told me everything is set and i will get an email in 2 days with a code. next day i get an email saying i dont meet the criterias. how unprofessional is that? why was i promised initially? my request confirmation no. was 12121960. super annoying. can anyone help?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: false promise on my iphone 6

Hey there, happyme_. I'm sorry to read this -- we should never file an unlock request without first walking a customer through the requirements outlined here: Unlock your mobile wireless device. It makes for a bad customer experience and adds to the workload on our internal unlock teams. There is not a way to provide an unlock for an iPhone that doesn't meet the criteria in that link... can you take a look and make sure that you're truly not eligible? We don't have account access in this forum, so we wouldn't be able to review your details ourselves to see... but if you meet the minimum usage qualifications, you may be able to make the required refill amount for a pay in advance customer in order to get a successful unlock. FWIW, with an iPhone, this will not be a code -- Apple devices are unlocked remotely by Apple themselves once we review the submission on our side and forward approval to them. At that point, the customer would receive an email advising them to wait 24 hours and then connect to iTunes to reset the device so that it's open to all carriers for activation.
        Either way, thank you for taking the time to post here and provide your feedback. We definitely could have done a better job of thoroughly reviewing your situation before submitting the request so that you weren't left disappointed while already overseas!

- Marissa

• happyme_

i was promised on the phone that phone will be unlocked and everything was ok.

i called customer service again after i got the email saying that i dont meet the criteria and they said i have to deposit $100 in my account. why was i not told this when i sent the request? what was i false promised?

T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request

Sim Unlock Reference:  12121960

IMEI:  014836005550463

• tmo_mike_c

Oh yeah, that's a bit conflicting and my apologies this didn't go smoother. Did you give our Care team another shot after you got the email about not meeting the criteria? The only reason I ask is because Care can revisit your account and make sure you meet the requirements and escalate an unlock request if needed. Please let us know. Thanks!

• happyme_

yes i called them and they said i need to deposit $100 in my account and then they can do it! very weird.

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm... Have you had less than $100 in refills and been using the device less than a year? There's a section in the link Marissa posted that talks about this, but I'm thinking that might have been the case. Did they mention any other reason as to why you needed this deposit?

• tmo_marissa

Hey, happyme_! Just wanted to check in with you and make sure you'd been able to review the requirements to unlock a phone... was all that you were missing the refill amount? We want you set up for a successful unlock this time without any surprises! Please let us know if you've been able to complete the unlock or if you have any more questions! Thanks.

- Marissa

• happyme_

Hey Marissa,

i'm travelling abroad and got a new service before i left the country. my problem is that t-mobile promised me something and later changed everything. i'm sure there are policies that t-mobile has which i understand. but why was i promised of an unlock and it didnt happen?

• happyme_

Hey Marissa,

i'm travelling abroad and got a new service before i left the country. my problem is that t-mobile promised me something and later changed everything. i'm sure there are policies that t-mobile has which i understand. but why was i promised of an unlock and it didnt happen?

• tmo_marissa

I'm sorry to read that we provided you misinformation about your unlock eligibility. I wish I could speak to the reason one of our team provided that misinformation, and I definitely apologize for the clear inconvenience it's caused you -- but the requirements haven't changed recently, and we don't have an option to bypass them. We appreciate the feedback and will absolutely pass it on -- you're right, we need to do our due diligence prior to filing an unlock request so that customers aren't disappointed when they receive an email advising them of ineligibility. Were you able to meet the requirements and get your device unlocked?

- Marissa