skateraver925

I have a samsung lite, nothing is wrong with phone its self.... but earlier today the phone made me update the android OS... It started the process... then it reset... and from that point on... has been stuck on the "white" loading screen that says " t mobile 4g lte" .... I held the power button till it shuts off... and turned it back on... and it still gets stuck on that same part.... I took out the battery... and guess what... the same thing... I can not CALL for support... so now I am forced to go this route for help.

All replies

• lintseeker

I'm having the exact same problem. A day ago, my device prompted me that there was a new System Update. This was a surprise as there hasn't been an update for the Samsung Galaxy Light (SGH-T399) in over a year. I believe it is the Security Update (T399UVUAQE1) listed on the Software Update web page (https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33859) for June 5, 2017.

I started the update and the phone went through the process, restarted, updated android apps, restarted again and then got stuck on the white T-Mobile Splash/Load Screen, just like the original poster said. I left it on the splash screen for 30 to 60 minutes and nothing more happened, so I rebooted the device by holding the power button. The phone still got stuck on the T-Mobile Splash Screen after the reboot.
        I tried taking the battery out to power the phone down and then restarted it again, but it still got stuck on the splash screen.
        I've tried to Wipe Cache Partition (thinking that some apps or old system data was interfering with the new update) by taking the battery out (to get out of the splash screen recovery loop), putting it back in, and entering Recovery Mode (turn device on by holding Power Button, Volume Up and Home Button.) The Erasing Screen appears, quickly followed by an Error Screen, and then the phone restarts and is still stuck on the splash screen.
        Last, I've tried accessing the phone with Samsung's Smart Switch PC software. The software detects the phone, but cannot connect to it. After about 5 minutes of trying to connect, the software prompts me to try reconnecting the phone or to use the Emergency Software Recovery and Initialization option, which will wipe all data on the phone.

I haven't tried to Reset/Recover the phone yet, by using Recovery Mode or Samsung Smart Switch PC software, as I'd like to recover my data, if possible. I have most of my data saved to an SD Card, but not all of it, so I want to only try a system reset as a last resort.

I hope this update isn't killing our phones. My family has two more Galaxy Lights that are prompting to be updated.

I need to know how to fix this problem for my phone and/or kill the system update prompts for the other two phones I have.

Needless to say, but this is a great security update... Nobody will be breaching our phone security NOW THAT THEY DON'T WORK! IT'S GENIUS!!!
        Seriously, please help!

• lintseeker

So I got ahold of TMobile Tech Support, they were nice, but there are no "magic" solutions to this problem. The software update was pushed to the phones by Samsung, not TMobile.

There are two basic solutions:
            1) Buy a new phone from TMobile (which is their first solution, of course) but since there's nothing wrong with the phone...
            2) Perform a Factory Reset, which wipes all data.

I tried the Factory Reset, it said it was successful, and the phone appeared to be working again. It was back to its default settings.
            The tech rep and I thought the problem was" solved" and ended our call.

---

However, my problems returned...

I checked for a new system update, but the phone retained the latest update, which originally caused the problem. (Guess I'm stuck with it)
            I setup WIFI and updated all DEFAULT pre-installed apps from the Google Play Store, including TMobile's suite of apps (voice mail app, account app. tv...), Samsung and Google apps.
            Last, I added a pin back to the Lockscreen settings.

After restarting the phone, WHAM, it's stuck/hanging on the TMobile load screen, again.

So, I know my phone works! What is wrong with the software????

After hours of troubleshooting (resetting and rebooting, updating various apps, setting up wifi...) I think I found the problem.
            It's the combination of this Security Update from Samsung and the most recent version of the standard "Google" app from the Google Play Store.

As long as I don't update the Google app (with this new Samsung Security Patch installed) I can reboot my phone over and over and it never gets stuck on the TMobile load screen.
            As soon as I update the Google app, the phone gets stuck on the first reboot and every time after.
            I can update all other pre-installed TMobile, Google, and Samsung apps and everything works fine. Update the Google app and it kills the phone.

There must be a problem with the combination of the Samsung Security Update and the Google app. Either Samsung didn't test this update with the Galaxy Light T399 at all or they are using different versions of the Google app than the most current.
            I can test this "theory" on one of the other two Samsung Lights my family owns, but why break them too...

WHAT SHOULD WE DO? The Google app usually needs to be updated at some point in order for other Google apps to work, right? We might accidentally update it in the future too. And the Samsung Security Update will force itself on us at some point. It's all a big "time-bomb." We can't just leave it as is...

---

Anyway, if you are having this problem you can possibly solve it with the steps listed below.
            FIRST, if you have a SD Memory Card in your phone, remove it. Remove the phone's back cover, pull out the battery, slide out the tiny memory card (DO NOT remove the TMobile SIM card.)
            WARNING: Any data (pictures, contacts...) not saved to the SD Memory Card will be lost, but at this point the phone is stuck and this MIGHT be your only option to get your phone working again.

1) Delete Cache & Reboot (hold Power Button, Home Button and Volume Up at same time till you see the "Android Droid" and Recovery Menu appear, release the buttons and choose the Wipe Cache Partition option - you will probably see an error and the phone will reboot)
            2) Factory Reset & Reboot (same as #1, but choose Factory Reset option instead and then choose the Reboot Option)
            3) Soft Reset when phone gets stuck on the TMobile load screen one last time (hold Power Button and Volume Down till the phone starts to reboot)
            -- Now your phone should restart and go into the "Upgrading Android - Updating Android Apps" screen. Once it is done with that it should be working again.
            !!! Go into you Google Play app Setting and TURN OFF Auto Update Apps option or the app will auto update your Google app and the problems will return the next time you restart !!!

OR

1) Delete Cache & Reboot
            2) Factory Reset & Reboot
            3) Soft Reset when phone gets stuck on the TMobile load screen
            4) Unplug the battery, wait 20 seconds, plug the battery back in, and Restart.
            5) Soft Reset when phone gets stuck on the TMobile load screen

Success with the above steps might be fickle/random...
            Basically, when the phone restarts you want to see it go into the "Upgrading Android - Updating Android Apps" screen, NOT to the TMobile load screen.
            If it gets to the TMobile load screen and is stuck, try a soft reset again or some other combination of the steps, like pulling the battery, factory reset, soft reset. Eventually, it will work.
            There might be a "trick" to making it work 100% of the time, but I couldn't figure it out. Like I said, it took hours to get my phone working again. Total waste of a day and I don't even know if there might be more problems...

---

I'll be contacting a TMobile tech rep again to see if they can help with a better final solution to the bad Samsung security update.

• carloroso

I also had the very same problem with the very same phone. The factory hard reset (Volume Up, Home Key, and Power Key depressed at the same time) worked to get the phone booting. Then, the operating system starts updating the software on its own and there may not be time to turn the automatic updates off  for the Google Play app. Again, I encountered the same issue after turning the phone off again. I do have the phone working, but did not power it off since I do not have time to waste again. Nonetheless, when in the "Application Manager", and selecting the Google Play app it is possible to uninstall the updates and have the application to the factory original version, then the next step is to tun off the automatic updates. Perhaps, while in the Application manager could be possible to temporarily stop the application from running and have time to turn the update off, and then re-starting the app.. I did not power off the phone yet, but for who is with phone up and running, it could be helpful to try the approach that I have outlined. Not sure if it will work and if it will be required to go through the procedure outlined in the excellent post above.

• magenta1849370

I also had the same white loading screen problem with 2 galaxy light phones my wife and daughter have.  They both also locked up again when rebooting after going through the factory reset and updating the software.  After reading your comments, I turned off auto-update in the google play store app  and uninstalled the update to the google app that it had already applied.  So far I have been able to reboot both phones several times, so this seems to be a temporary fix until they hopefully send out a new update to fix this problem. Thanks for going through all your trouble to figure out a work-around. I took the phone to a T-mobile store yesterday, and the guy there couldn't figure out how to fix it - just suggested buying a newer phone. (My wife lost all her levels on Candy Crush after the factory reset and was very upset and driving me crazy, so at least I got her phone working again and she's playing again starting at level one).

Thanks again, and please let us know what happens when you contact T-mobile again.

• lintseeker

I've tried to keep up on this, but have been very busy...
                    I finally chatted with tech support at Samsung. I went to Samsung since the problem looks to be caused by them, not TMobile.

The rep said they'd forward the problem to a Supervisor and their High Level Support Team, since it appears to be such a bad problem.
                    The rep said the problem would be looked into and fixed very soon, but couldn't give a definite timeline other than it would be addressed in the next 5-7 days (as of 6/15/2017.)

The best way to track progress is to contact Samsung Support about the problem or keep checking their News site for info on a new update... https://news.samsung.com/global/
                    The problem is... Samsung's Software Update (Android version 4.2.2 Baseband Version: T399UVUAQE1 June 5, 2017 e911 fix) preventing the phones from restarting (because it conflicts with the most current version of the Google App.)

I also got the rep to forward the problem to their public relations department so they can update/reply to our post here on TMobile.

If nothing happens, I'll post my chat transcript here and contact both Samsung and TMobile again... and I won't be nice next time.
                    I you are having this same problem, try contact Samsung Support too. It might help speed the process up.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • magenta1889079

I have encountered the same problem. I have contacted both T-Mobile and Samsung regarding this problem. T-Mobile  said Samsung sent the update and I should contact Samsung. I called Samsung today  and Samsung has opened a ticket on the problem. I need to  follow up with Samsung with the ticket number the Samsung chat representative gave me today .  Before I call Samsung back, I spent most of the day experimenting with different configuration combinations.  Since my update was over a Wi-Fi connection, I decided to perform a firmware update via Kies to ensure I simply didn't get a bad load. After the Kies firmware update the problem still existed. I found the previous ROM and reflashed the phone with the previous ROM (T399UVUAPA1). The problem still exists with that ROM. If I try to wipe the cache partition in recovery mode I always get an error with the Android laying on his back with a triangle and an exclamation point. I think this is symptomatic of the underlying problem. I believe the latest update that was sent a few days ago has changed something (e.g. the partition table or something else - causing the Android error) so that no ROM (current or previous versions) will operate successfully with the most current version of Google. I will post any updates I receive from Samsung when I call them back with the ticket number that was opened for me today.

• lintseeker

ALSO,

I wanted to add this to my other post, but can't edit my older posts anymore =(

Anyway,

I forgot to mention trying SAFE MODE first before doing a Factory Reset.

Safe Mode DID NOT get my phone to reboot, but if it works for you then you won't have to try a Factory Rest, which wipes all data. Might as well try...

To start in Safe Mode, Hold the Power Button till the phone starts/restarts, when you see the Samsung Galaxy Light SGH-T399 load screen release the Power Button and hold the Volume Down Button . If the phone finishes booting up you will see "Safe Mode" in a corner of the screen.

You can now go into your Settings, App Manager, Google App, Uninstall Updates to revert the app back to an old version. Now reboot again to get out of Safe Mode.

Once rebooted, make sure to turn off Auto Update Apps in Google Play Store.

This might fix the problem temporarily, BUT it has NEVER worked for me with this bad update so I doubt it will help. Though it's worth a try to save your data!

• lintseeker

I've tried to keep up on this, but have been very busy...
                          I finally chatted with tech support at Samsung. I went to Samsung since the problem looks to be caused by them, not TMobile.

The rep said they'd forward the problem to a Supervisor and their High Level Support Team, since it appears to be such a bad problem.
                          The rep said the problem would be looked into and fixed very soon, but couldn't give a definite timeline other than it would be addressed in the next 5-7 days (as of 6/15/2017.)

The best way to track progress is to contact Samsung Support about the problem or keep checking their News site for info on a new update...

The problem is... Samsung's Software Update (Android version 4.2.2 Baseband Version: T399UVUAQE1 June 5, 2017 e911 fix) preventing the phones from restarting (because it conflicts with the most current version of the Google App.)

I also got the rep to forward the problem to their public relations department so they can update/reply to our post here on TMobile.

If nothing happens, I'll post my chat transcript here and contact both Samsung and TMobile again... and I won't be nice next time.
                          I you are having this same problem, try contact Samsung Support too. It might help speed the process up.

• stelcontar

I am having the exact same issue with the Galaxy Light SGH-T399. It is pretty unbelievable that this patch was not thoroughly tested before being pushed to so many customers. Given the bad press surrounding Samsung lately even more so...

• magenta1889079

I called Samsung today with the ticket number that the Samsung chat representative provided to me yesterday. The ticket number issued provided very little if any additional help in solving this problem. In fact the person I talked to today was the same representative I spoke to the first day I called regarding this problem. The Samsung representative drug me through the same troubleshooting steps that I had to endure 4 days ago. When we met the end of the line, the representative suggested the same three options I was offered days ago: 1. buy a new phone 2. take the phone to a Samsung store at Best Buy so they could reflash it  3.box it up and send it back to Samsung. I told the representative all three options were unacceptable. I asked to speak with a Samsung customer service representative supervisor. I was put on hold for 15 minutes and then my call was magically transferred to T-Mobile. Since I was transferred to T-Mobile I asked the customer service representative if any issues were in their system regarding this problem. He looked and replied "negative". I then called Samsung back and immediately asked for a customer service representative supervisor. The supervisor I spoke with was very polite. When I provided him with the background on this particular problem and asked him if this particular issue was in the Samsung system he replied "negative".  I provided the supervisor with my ticket number along with all of the troubleshooting that I had conducted and other information posted in this message thread. I am not convinced Samsung really cares about supporting this particular phone since it is an older phone and the customer base for this phone is very very small. I am not hopeful there will be any action at all taken.

• eric1999

Knowing that all we can do is wait for a response. Is there somehow a possible way I can recover the lost data on my stuck phone. I got this update and my phone has been stuck on bootloop. ODIN Mode didn't even work and a factory reset will reset my heart. If I have no choice, i'm willing to factory reset my phone.

• stelcontar

I also need to recover data from the phone (years of pictures, contacts, texts). The phone will boot into recovery mode (hold volume up, home and power) and custom ROM download mode (hold volume down, home and power). ODIN could see the phone when in custom ROM download mode, it would seem that this is a start. The least Samsung and T-Mobile can do is provide us with a recovery ROM for ODIN to allow data recovery from the phone. Even if the actual data recovery needs to be done with adb commands it would be better than nothing. I am very disappointed in both of these companies.

• eric1999

So I factory reset my phone and lost all my data, but even then I don't want to use it anymore.

It's very apparent and clear this is a general "screw you" from Samsung and an attempt to force people to update to new phones.

5 years ago it was everything to me, now it's just a brick sitting on my desk I'm probably gonna sell for parts. Even with all the darkness in my path, I found phones that are way better than the Samsung Galaxy Light. I guess this is an end to my poor little Galaxy. I'm so livid I reset my phone and it still doesn't help this issue

• magenta2001085

Lintseeker is correct. This issue is a compatibility conflict between the Google App (com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox) version 7.3.25.16.arm64 (released June 9, 2017) and the latest Android 4.2.2 Samsung firmware pushed out by T-Mobile (baseband version T399UVUAQE1 released June 5, 2017). A similar conflict occurred with a Google App 6.x version after the push of Samsung firmware baseband version T399UVUAPA1 released Feb. 16, 2016. T-Mobile Support rep. with which I spoke blamed Samsung while Samsung Support rep. blamed T-mobile. Doh!

Doing a factory reset isn't the only way to resolve this issue. After my phone was bricked by the 2016 Google App update conflict, I was determined not to lose all my data and start over again with this one. One comment on prior posts: safe mode doesn't seem to be an option on the Galaxy Light. It may work for other Galaxy series phones, but none of the startup button sequences found online worked on mine. If they had, it would have been easy to resolve the boot loop by disabling the Google App. My resolution was was more technically challenging and involved: revert phone to prior firmware version T399UVUAPA1, disable the Google App, and then reapply latest firmware version T399UVUAQE1. According to T-Mobile Support rep. the in-store T-Mobile Samsung phone experts at Best Buy can do this for you, but they weren't in the closest store the day I checked. The steps I used were found at https://samsung-firmware.org/download/SGH-T399/69n2/TMB/T399UVUAPA1/T399TMBAPA1/ :

1) Downloaded & unzipped firmware package TMB-T399UVUAPA1-20160216145903.zip from samsung-firmware.org website (very slowly) on a Windows PC. Do so at your own risk. I don't know if this or a couple of similar sites are malware-free. They nag you to purchase a premium membership to access speedier downloads, but I was not in that much of a hurry.

2) Downloaded & unzipped Samsung's developer Odin Tool version 3.12.3 at https://bin.samsung-firmware.org/bin/odin-3-12-3.zip .

3) Downloaded, unzipped & installed Samsung's Android USB Driver for Windows from http://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/others/android-usb-driver-for-windows .

4) Followed "Flashing Guide" steps on site by launching Odin, booting phone in download mode, connecting phone to PC with Samsung USB cable, and flashing prior firmware update.

5) Disabled Google App in phone's Settings=>More=>Application Manager (Force stop, Uninstall update, Turn off) and/or on Play Store (Find 'Google' and Disable).

6) Downloaded, installed & launched Samsung Kies (Lite) version 2.6.4.16113_3 at http://www.samsung.com/in/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/ .

7) In Kies (Lite), backed up phone data (contacts, messages, calendar, downloads, photos, etc.).

8) Performed online firmware upgrade to latest version T399UVUAQE1.

9) Lived happily ever after... never touching Google App again.

• magenta1889079

I have performed a similar procedure to the one previously described. I reverted back to ROM version T399UVUAPA1 and disabled the Google app update. This procedure provides me with a functioning  bootable phone again. However, this does not solve an underlying problem. My phone still is in some sort of funky state. I am still not able to successfully wipe the cache partition. Additionally,  when I enter recovery mode the Android is laying on his back with the exclamation point. I am not certain, but I believe the latest update changed something in the phone state to create this Android error.

• magenta2001085

My Galaxy Light also has the ! Android on its back when in recovery mode, and selecting 'wipe cache partition' briefly flashes 'Error' and then it restarts gracefully. It had the same behavior after prior firmware update (T399UVUAPA1) in 2016 too. I recall seeing other Galaxy Light users reporting the issue online at that time. A Google search found a number of Samsung Galaxy models on various cellular providers (S4, Grand Duos, Light) reporting the same problem. It is likely a bug (undocumented feature) that may have always been there or was introduced in subsequent firmware updates. I believe the same wipe can be done in phone: Settings=>More=>Storage=>Cached data=>Clear cached data?=>[OK]. Samsung, care to comment?

One update on Safe Mode:  After disabling Google app. and reapplying latest firmware version T399UVUAQE1, the Safe Mode now works on my Galaxy Light. Go figure!  Per Lintseeker's post:

To start in Safe Mode, Hold the Power Button till the phone starts/restarts, when you see the Samsung Galaxy Light SGH-T399 load screen release the Power Button and hold the Volume Down Button . If the phone finishes booting up you will see "Safe Mode" in a corner of the screen.

If only it had worked right after the Google app update hit...

• loukibby

Just noticed that a new version of the Google app was released a few days ago (Google App version: 7.4.21.16.1rm64). I was wondering if anyone has tried it out yet, and if so, did it fix the problem. If not, please do and let us know the results. I'm gonna get a cup of coffee before I take another shot at bricking my phone again.

• loukibby

Update, new Google app version was a not a fix.