WIFI Calling Down

magenta1416786

Two days ago, out of nowhere, my wifi calling stopped working on my iphone 6 plus.  I called t-mobile for assistance and we reset my router, my modem, my network settings, soft reset my phone, updated my e911 address, etc.  I have talked to at least a dozen different tmobile representatives over the last two days trying to fix this problem.  T-mobile said it was an Apple issue.  I went through a bunch of different steps with apple including restoring my phone to factory default settings.  Apple confirmed it was not a software or device problem.  I returned my attention to T-mobile when I realized my dad, on my same T-mobile family account, had started having the exact same problem despite being on a different wifi network, in a different location, on a different phone, with different settings, and applications installed.  I then contacted T-mobile again and went up to a supervisor who confirmed wifi calling got disabled on my account and he re-enabled it.  I then went through all the same steps of resetting my network settings, rebooting the phone, removing my SIM card, etc.  Yet, my wifi calling still will not work.  If I have WIFI on and try to enable wifi calling in my phone settings, I get a notice to update my e911 address; I hit save, and then go back to the settings screen and the wifi calling setting is still disabled.  If I turn off WIFI and repeat the same steps on 4G, I get a message that says contact t-mobile to enable wifi calling.  No representative can figure out the problem.  I have wasted hours on the phone with no progress.  I rely on wifi calling because cellular service is poor at my location,  It is critical that I have this feature.  I am hoping the right "higher up" sees this.  This is a serious issue.  I chose T-mobile as my carrier specifically because of the ability to use wifi calling.  Every corner of my house and yard gets a wifi signal so while on wifi, I have no issues....not so on cellular.  I don't want to cancel and switch but I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.  It would be nice if T-Mobile acknowledged it is a network problem but I just keep getting the back and forth.  Does anyone have any further suggestions before I start to look for an alternate carrier?  I'm really frustrated at this point and at my wits end.

All replies

• magentadamien

Re: WIFI Calling Down

Give me a few minutes to look into this. Switching from the Un-Carrier should never have to happen. I wanna see how I can fix this.

• magentadamien

I've come to a few conclusions. What I first want you to do is go to My T-Mobile < Profile<My Line Settings< E911 Address.   If TM doesn't have your 911 address, Wi-Fi calling will be disabled. Next, call 611 one last time and ask to speak with Escalated or Senior Techincal Support and ask them to update your E911 address and make sure Wi-Fi calling is enabled. If it STILL doesn't work after that, your best bet is to stop by a T-Mobile Store and pick up a "T-Mobile 4G LTE Personal Cellspot". This gives you 5 bars of Voice and LTE in your home, in which you can still connect to Wi-Fi and make calls over the voice signalthe cell spot is providing. The device is free, it just has a $25 refundable deposit, meaning you get the $25 back when you return it. If you do it through 611, theres a chance that if you explain the story to them, they will waive the deposit, but don't take my word for it. This is a really odd issue but the CellSpot seems like an 100% fix with just a little hassle. By the way, the CellSpot has a very very far reach, farther than most if all home wifi routers. Sorry about this!

• magenta1416786

First of all, thank you for taking the time to respond.

1)  My E911 address is correctly listed in my account profile.  However, just for fun, I edited it and resaved it and got a message on my phone that the E911 address was updated so all good there.  I tried to enable wifi calling on my iphone again and I still get a message to add an E911 address which is pre-populated with the address already showing in my account.  I update the address on my phone, get a confirmation popup, and then the wifi calling remains disabled.

2)  Regarding a senior technical support representative, I've went all the way up the chain as high as I could go talking to the supervisor of the technical support department who discovered the wifi calling code fell off my account.  He added it back and we checked and updated the E911 address.  He then said to give it an hour and he would call me back.  Of course, I never heard back and many hours later, the WIFI calling won't enable.  Another representative after him tried resetting the network on his end and asked me to reboot my phone and reset my network settings.  Again, no luck.  A support ticket was even opened to have a senior level engineer double check the E911 address who confirmed it was setup correctly.

3)  Regarding the "T-Mobile 4G LTE Personal Cellspot," excellent idea!  Unfortunately, an idea I already tried pursuing.  After repeatedly explaining to the technical support rep I wanted the 4G LTE personal cellspot and NOT the wifi router which required wifi calling which I obviously couldn't use, he finally found what I was talking about.  It is sad I had to explain to him what T-mobile options I had available to me.  Anyway, he tried to order it for me but he couldn't because I already have the 4G LTE signal booster.  I need to have this because if my wifi or internet goes down, this is my last hope to use my phone.  If I lose the signal booster and my wifi calling goes down or my internet goes down which happens on occasion, I cannot use my phone with the cellspot alone.  So I need wifi access for everyday usage and the wide range it provides along with the signal booster as a backup if I need to use the LTE network.  I cannot rely on the signal booster all the time because the range can't compare to my wifi network filled with repeaters and extended range antennas.  But it does a good job when I am relatively close to it and my internet goes down.  The rep even tried sending the cellspot to an alternate address but the system still would not allow it.  However, even with the cellspot, it would still be a single centralized location whereas my wifi network is more like a blanket that covers several acres of property.

You have provided excellent suggestions if only I hadn't already pursued all of them already :-(

• jb21

I'm having the same issue.  I've always used wifi calling since tmobile's coverage is spotty.  Now when I try to enable wifi calling it just keeps asking me to add an E911 address.  So I did that and it saves it OK, but never enables wifi calling.  Just keeps asking to add 911 address every time I try to enable wifi calling. I can see a 911 address on my account.  I've tried changing it but still have no luck turning on wifi calling.  I've been on 3 different wifi networks that have all worked without problems in the past.  Not sure if this is related.  But I did update carrier setting a few days ago.  Seems like the problem started then but not positive.  I have an iPhone 5S

• magenta1804197

I'm having the same issue too. I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus that is up to date on all carrier settings and iOS updates. I went to the T-Mobile store today and they changed out my SIM card without resolution of the issue. The Wifi Calling toggle switch just doesn't seem to want to toggle on... I have 3 other T-Mobile phones in the household and the wifi calling is all working fine.

• magenta1416786

JB21 - I also had a message on my phone to update carrier settings and I too cannot remember if the problem began right then or before.  I unfortunately just noticed one day, WIFI calling stopped working and would no longer enable.  What I do know for sure is that I did not have the newest Apple update installed and WIFI calling was broke so I updated my phone to the newest iOS version to see if that would help and it didn't so it isn't something with a new Apple update.

magenta1804197 -  When you left the store and the WIFI calling still wasn't working, what did they suggest other than the 'ole, "Give it some time to update on the network."

I am glad to know others are experiencing the same problem.  My issue has now been taken up all the way to a tmobile engineer who has said, at this point, he has no other ideas other than to take my phone in to a store and do a SIM swap with another person who does have wifi calling working to see if putting the SIM card in my phone "breaks" the feature and then to take my SIM card and put it in someone else's phone to see what happens.

I am assuming based on the responses here, getting a new SIM card is not going to be effective.  It seems like we are all out of options at this point.

If anyone figures out a solution, please keep this thread updated.  I would LOVE to know how you fix it!!

• miket

It appears all the above problems w. wifi calling are w, various models of Apple's phones.  Did Apple do a recent "upgrade" to their OS? 

In years past, I would have intermittent problems w. wifi calling - but I don't make use of it very much.  Our newer TM phones seem to come w. wifi calling as the default.  We change it to cell calling because quality is more consistent.  (Don't use Apple phones.)

• kevinseattle

I have reliably used T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling for the last 2 years on Apple devices.

Suddenly it just stopped working in the last few days.

Nothing else to add, just hoping T-Mobile sees that this issue is affecting multiple customers.

• jb21

My iPhone 5S is at IOS 10.3.2  carrier version is at 28.4.  You can find that in Settings->General->About->Carrier. What do the rest of you have? magenta1416786 stated they had 3 other t-mobile phones that still did wifi calling.  Are they iPhones?  If so what carrier and IOS versions are they at.

• kevinseattle

@jb21

FWIW the same issue is happening on mine and my wife's T-Mobile sim card.

I've tried each sim card in 3 different iphones (6, 6S plus, 7plus)

T-Mobile tech support wasn't very helpful. They blamed apple and transferred me there. Apple confirmed 100% this is a carrier issue.

Version 10.3.2

Carrier T-Mobile 28.4

• jro

T-Mobile are you listening? Epic fail. Something happened a week ago and we are without wifi calling. HEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!

• miket

Since the only problems reported here w. wifi calling are those w. various Apple phones - it is logical to assume it is an Apple problem.

For several years, Apple refused to include TM's wifi calling at all.  TM is (still, I believe) the only carrier in the U.S. w. wifi calling feature.  Has Apple made any change in their OS in last couple weeks?  Of course TM might have done something that only affects Apple branded phones. 

• kevinseattle

Actually, this is a T-Mobile issue. I had a very knowledgeable and senior apple technician on the phone along with a T-Mobile rep.

The whole flow to validate the E911 is actually an embedded webpage that is hosted by T-Mobile, not apple. The end of this flow needs to send a "confirmation flag" the phone that it's okay to turn on Wi-Fi calling. This is not happening...

This flow may be specific to iOS which is why this T-Mobile issue is only affecting apple users.

• magenta1416786

Thank you for your feedback kevinseattle.  I wish I could have talked to the same senior tech and t-mobile rep you got.  I can't tell you how frustrating it is to go through the same steps over and over again with just the same answer.  May I ask how you were able to get in touch with such knowledgeable individuals?  I would love to know for any future problems.

• jb21

Another interesting side note.  If I use the T-Mobile app on my phone and go to My Account and try to look at my 911 address I get an error saying "service unavailable. please try again later.".  But if I go to a browser on my computer and look at my account I can see it fine.  Seems very strange.IMG_1056.PNGIMG_1057.PNG

• magenta1416786

Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback and insights!  I have also used wifi calling for 2 years on my Apple Iphone 6+ without issue until now.  I am operating on carrier version 28.4 as well.

I was so frustrated when I wrote my initial message and I am comforted knowing that at least I am not the only one.  Obviously, we have a big issue here when Apple points the finger at T-mobile and T-mobile points the finger at Apple.  As stated previously, I have exhausted all avenues with T-mobile with the final avenue being doing a SIM card swap in person at the store which, thanks to you all, have already confirmed does not fix the problem.  I did a hard reset on my phone and the problem did not resolve.

A recent iOS update did NOT (for me) break the wifi calling feature.  The feature was not functional before the update so I updated in hopes that would fix it and it did not so I don't think the problem is related to iOS 10.3.2.

Is there anyone on this thread that does NOT have an Apple product that is also experiencing this problem?  Also, does anyone know of a T-mobile android user that they might be able to SIM card swap with to see if wifi calling remains "broken" in an android device.

This has gone on way too long and we are obviously not hitting the right person over at T-mobile or Apple.  Nobody via general support avenues are going to be able to resolve this apparently.

I do not use Twitter or Facebook but if you do and are experiencing this problem, please reach out to any of the following:

https://www.facebook.com/authorized.apple/timeline

Apple Support (@AppleSupport) | Twitter

Tara Bunch (@TaraBunch1) | Twitter

https://www.twitter.com/AngelaAhrendts

T-Mobile - Home | Facebook

T-Mobile   (@TMobile) | Twitter

T-Mobile - Google+

T-Mobile Help (@TMobileHelp) | Twitter

Callie Field (@CallieField) | Twitter

Mike Sievert (@SievertMike) | Twitter

John Legere (@JohnLegere) | Twitter

• tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta1416786!

Gosh, I'm so sorry that we haven't jumped on this thread yet. WiFi calling is a lifesaver and I can see that you all rely on it to make/receive calls (as do many of us).  I'm an iPhone user as well and have been clicking that lovely "Not Now" button for the latest Carrier Update, which means I can't confirm this is happening on my phone. However, there is clearly a trend going on for at least some users with the feature not working after updating to the Carrier version 28.4.

I can tell that you have put a lot of time and effort in trying to get this fixed yourself. I appreciate the break-down of steps you have already tried, so we have a better picture of where the issue lies. I want you to know that I have searched high and low in our internal content and known issues with no luck on pinpointing an answer. Since the Carrier Update just rolled out, reports may be slowly rolling in. I'm reaching out to our resident Apple guru to not only put this on his radar but also in hopes of getting information to get this ironed out for you.

Again, I know how important this feature is to you and please know that I will get back to you as soon as I have more information.

• magenta1416786

Success!!  It is actually working now!  I emailed every executive I could find from T-mobile.  My emails were opened within 10 minutes of being sent and within another 10 minutes, tmo_amanda was on the case.  Probably within 6 hours, I went to test my wifi calling and when I enabled it, it actually stayed enabled without asking me to update my E911 address!

So, if it isn't working for you yet, hang in there.  I obviously got the right person that knows something.  Who that person is and what he or she knows, I'm not sure but it is a shame how much effort we all had to put in to achieve this resolution.

Whoever figured out this solution should have been the person that looked at the issue initially as soon as phone technical support ran out of options.  Instead, it was just a lot of "We aren't sure what else to do" or "It is an Apple problem."

Thank you to those T-mobile executives I emailed for quickly jumping on the case and thank you to everyone that posted in this thread and shared in my misery.

FYI - Upon last check, my dad's phone (iphone 6) on the same account as mine STILL was exhibiting the same problem as before (update E911 address with no ability to keep wifi calling enabled) so apparently everyone might not be fixed yet.

• jb21

Mine also works now !!!  Thanks magenta1416786 for getting this done.  I wonder what they fixed?

• tmo_amanda

Good morning all (pretend it's still morning if you're in the Central or Eastern time zones)!

I'm stoked to log in and read the updates to this thread. While I would absolutely love to take credit for knocking some sense into the WiFi calling issue, I honestly have no clue what got fixed. I received a reply back from our Apple guru, but there were no issues found with WiFi calling. Again, I cannot thank each and every one of you enough for taking time out of your day to continually update this thread!

With all of that being said, please please please keep me updated if this starts happening again!

• magenta1416786

As we put an end to this matter, not that I am looking for credit, but nothing done on this message board fixed the problem.  It was the emails I sent out to the T-mobile executives.  I got a call back from the T-mobile executive offices and I specifically asked what ultimately led to resolving this problem and was told point blank your email to our executives initiated an investigation that resolved the problem.  I further asked why was the problem resolved after my message but yet no other avenue I pursued via phone or otherwise could fix it and he said it was because we went straight to the top of the chain and worked directly with our top end programmers and engineers to resolve the issue.  My point of mentioning this is not for a pat on the back but just to say that sometimes when you can't find a solution, the only solution is taking a back door route and going straight to the top. 

Hi magenta

I'm having this issue with my new iPhone SE from the get go and to avoid waste of my time I would like to do what you did - contact the executive office. Could you provide the contact info you used?

Thanks a lot

Alex