ahjorth

Hi guys,

I'm having really bad battery life on my S7Edge running latest (May update) Nougat, in particular having high Android System usage. I downloaded and installed GSAM Battery and gave it appropriate permissions, to see what is up.

It seems that TMD490X ALS_PRX (the proximity sensor) is causing the problem. Today, TMD490X ALS_PRX alone woke up my phone 430 times, and used 2h 9m 4s of CPU usage out of 2h 42m 23s total Android System CPU usage. That's more than 80% of the total Android System CPU usage, just for a proximity sensor...

Other people are reporting similar issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/5njhda/proximity_sensor_causing_massive_battery_drain/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/5ok9f6/battery_draining_at_around_17_per_hour/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/5r4d1r/understanding_gsam_results/

At least one user in the 2nd linked reddit thread experienced this on a Tmo flat S7, so it doesn't seem to be Edge-specific. Another user reported similar issue on a Verizon S7 Edge. So it also doesn't seem to be TMo specific.

I have every single advanced feature (waving to wake up, edge screens, etc.) off and it still hasn't fixed this.

This is a hardware issue with some S7s? The phone is only about five weeks old, and I really was expecting better battery life.  Should I return it for another one?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Arthur

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: TMD490X ALS_PRX battery drain

Hey Arthur!

The phones proximity sensor waking up the phone 430 times is a bit nuts! I haven't seen any internal reports of the proximity sensor causing this kind of battery drain. Are you noticing your phone's screen wake up that often? Like, can you visually see it happening or is this something that you were only able to find in the GSAM battery app?

• ahjorth

Hey Chris, thanks for getting back to me.

Oddly, I think I found the bug. But to quickly answer your question: The screen didn't wake up, though I could see in my doze report (in Greenify, with Aggressive Doze and doze report enabled through ADB), that doze was interrupted constantly - like, every few seconds sometimes. The only place where I could see what was causing the wake up was with GSam (though presumably any app that has access to battery stats would be able to tell.)

The bug: I knew that it was the proximity sensor, but I thought I had turned off every single of the smart features that rely on it. Turns out, the "Gesture control" (Camera -> Settings - Ways to take pictures -> Gesture Control) way to take a selfie also uses it - I assumed it would just use the camera to recognize your hand. I first confirmed this by force closing the Camera app (the bundled, Samsung one). This caused the TMD490X ALS_PRX wakes to stop. Importantly, just closing the Camera app by side swiping it in the "recent apps" view is not sufficient - it has to be force stopped. The day after (on Sunday) I turned off "gesture control" in the Camera app, and I've had amazing battery life since. 

I wanted to wait with writing here until I knew that it was actually working, but three days seems like a reasonable enough amount of time. So hopefully other people who experience this will find this thread.

It's good to know what caused it, though a bit disappointing to see a bug like that in Samsung's own software.  Either way, thanks for getting back.

Best,

Arthur

• tmo_chris

Oh wow. This is a pretty good find! I am glad you were able to find a work around here but that is not something you should have to do! I am going to get this up to our Samsung contact but I would also recommend posting this on the Samsung community forum so you can get their eyes on it.

• ahjorth

Ack. Seems I spoke too soon. My phone is now back to draining like crazy on the sensor, and unlike before when it only did it when the screen was off, it is now running all the time. I uninstalled Greenify because I thought that it might somehow interfere with the way the phone goes into hibernation, and maybe that was causing the phone to not stop the sensor. But that did not help. So right now, I'm running purely stock apps and with no funny settings or permissions, except Nova Launcher and Textra. But I can't possibly imagine how they would have anything to do with the sensor.

This doesn't seem to be a software issue, and might just be a problem with my phone. Can you please tell me what I should do? I bought this in a T-Mobile store about six weeks ago, and I would very much like either a replacement phone or a refund. What is T-Mobile's policy on diagnosing Hardware problems and offering replacement phones in case of faults?

Edit: fixed a bunch of nonsense, because dictating on the train is not a good idea ☺️

• tmo_chris

Lol! Speech to text can be wonky at times for sure! Typically, when we see a phone that is having extremely poor battery life, we will go through the basic battery saving troubleshooting up to and including a master reset of the device. If the problem persists, we will replace the phone for you as long as it is still under warranty or if you have an extended warranty. If you have already done all the basic battery saving tips/troubleshooting, you can Contact Us and our tech teams can get the replacement started for you. 

• ahjorth

Yeah, I talked with a colleague, Jay, of yours this morning, and he told me to uninstall Nova Launcher, Greenify, and GSam to ensure that they are not the cause of the drain, then wipe cache, and then turn off for a few minutes and turn on. He scheduled a callback for Monday so we can see if it solved it. However, it's pretty clear that it didn't:  I'm now draining 5% per hour with no use - part Android System, and part "Cell Standby" (each about 2% per hour, plus a mystery 1% that doesn't seem to show up in the battery stats). I won't even make it through a day at this rate.  I'll drop by my local store on my way home and ask for a refund or something.

I'll try to mark this as resolved since there's probably not anything else we can do here on the forums. Thanks for the help, @tmo_chris!

• tmo_chris

Ahh man! That kind of drain is way too much! If you are still noticing that kind of drain after uninstalling those apps and the cache wipe, we are going to need to replace that phone. Please contact us again and let the rep you speak with know that you are still seeing a massive drain after the TS steps that Jay had you do. There is no need to wait till Monday to see that the phone is still draining rapidly.